Thank you Boston Red Sox!!!

jackman

Thank you Boston Red Sox!!!
« on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:59 pm »
I just wanted to sincerely thank the Boston Red Sox for sending Kevin Youkilis to the White Sox.  He has been an excellent addition to the team on the field and in the clubhouse.  I'm not sure how much gas is left in the tank but he has played brilliantly with the glove and at the plate.   I thought he was washed up when they signed him but his excellent walk-off hit in the 10th last night (and 9 pitch gritty at bat) says otherwise. 

The Sox are playing very well and have been getting some great pitching and clutch hitting.  It's a shame AJ Pierzinski is not going to the All-Star game because he's hitting as well or better than any catcher in the game, and is a proven leader.  His play last night, knocking over Napoli (the guy who did not deserve an all-star selection but got one) was great.  It won the game for the Sox and was a clean hit.  Go Sox!

soundbitten1

Re: Thank you Boston Red Sox!!!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2012, 08:09 pm »
Youkilis is five years younger than Jeter, he should have some good years left. I think he just got off to a slow start with the Red Sox and they wanted to make room for an up and coming player.

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2012, 09:54 pm »
Youkilis is five years younger than Jeter, he should have some good years left. I think he just got off to a slow start with the Red Sox and they wanted to make room for an up and coming player.

Youk won another game for the White Sox today with a homer.  The final game in a 4 game sweep of Texas Rangers (the hottest team in the game before they ran into the White Sox).  Oh, also thank the Yankees for giving the White Sox Jose Quintana, today's winning pitcher and one of the best looking young pitchers (I think he's 23) I've seen in a whilt.  He totally shut down the Rangers allowing only one run and two hits over 8 solid innings.  He has an ERA around 2.00 and is 4-1 on the season.  Today he was dominant.  How could the Yankees give up on this young guy?   :scratch:

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2012, 10:07 pm »

Why is Jeter being brought into this?   :scratch:

George

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm »
Youk won another game for the White Sox today with a homer.  The final game in a 4 game sweep of Texas Rangers (the hottest team in the game before they ran into the White Sox).  Oh, also thank the Yankees for giving the White Sox Jose Quintana, today's winning pitcher and one of the best looking young pitchers (I think he's 23) I've seen in a whilt.  He totally shut down the Rangers allowing only one run and two hits over 8 solid innings.  He has an ERA around 2.00 and is 4-1 on the season.  Today he was dominant.  How could the Yankees give up on this young guy?   :scratch:

IIRC, Quintana never made it higher than A-ball before becoming a free agent.  Hard to determine who is going to make it or miss it at that level.

Let's see in a few years how things are before passing final judgement.

Of course, given all the injuries on the Yanks staff, it sure would be nice to have him as an option right now. :o

George

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm »
I am with Jack on both Youk and Quntana. Man is this a fun Sox team to watch.

Youk is the type of grinder that White Sox fans love. Winning us games like he has the last two certainly doesn't hurt either.

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2012, 12:35 am »
IIRC, Quintana never made it higher than A-ball before becoming a free agent.  Hard to determine who is going to make it or miss it at that level.

Let's see in a few years how things are before passing final judgement.

Of course, given all the injuries on the Yanks staff, it sure would be nice to have him as an option right now. :o

George

You are correct but he was a great minor league pitcher.  Per Wikipedia:  In 2011, Quintana posted a 10-2 win-loss record and a 2.91 earned run average (ERA), with 88 strikeouts in 102 innings pitched for the Tampa Yankees of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League.[1][3]

I can't figure out why the Yankees let him get away.  It's not like he is making anoit of money. Who knows what will happen down the road but he's been very solid for the white sox.

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2012, 12:47 am »
You are correct but he was a great minor league pitcher.  Per Wikipedia:  In 2011, Quintana posted a 10-2 win-loss record and a 2.91 earned run average (ERA), with 88 strikeouts in 102 innings pitched for the Tampa Yankees of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League.[1][3]

I can't figure out why the Yankees let him get away.  It's not like he is making anoit of money. Who knows what will happen down the road but he's been very solid for the white sox.

Didn't realize he was that good in the minors...that really is a head scratcher on why the Yanks let him go.  We all know that you can never have enough pitching.

George

soundbitten1

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:02 am »
Why is Jeter being brought into this?   :scratch:

George

Just as an example, I could have named any late 30 year old position player who is still thriving and productive.

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:36 pm »
Gas'd snitch

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:47 pm »
You White Sox fan's are going to love Youk, until his back craps out on him...in the middle of a pennant race.

Doc

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:55 pm »
You White Sox fan's are going to love Youk, until his back craps out on him...in the middle of a pennant race.

Doc

Perhaps the back goes. But Youk's style of play will endear him to the White Sox fans even if he gets injured. It's not like we aren't aware of that possibility.

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2012, 08:01 pm »
Well, he was pretty much a free pickup and has already exceeded my expectations.  The White Sox have tried this before and it rarely works out!  They picked up Manny a couple years ago, Ken Griffey Jr was a bust, Fukudome, and none worked out.  Also traded Sosa for Albert Bell and that was mixed.

They picked Thome up from the scrap heap and he did well. Also, Fisk was one of the best pickups in White Sox history.  I loved that guy but hated three hour games.  He was slow....

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2012, 08:04 pm »
Also, we have a history of bad back at third base. Joe Crede had a very bad back and Ventura had some major injuries.  I hope Youk holds up. He's a good guy and a clutch performer.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2012, 09:04 pm »
Having been stationed in the Chicago area, I can say with some experience that Chicagoland fans are a kind and gentle bunch compared to us New Englanders.
Like I said, you can't help but love Youk. He plays the game like it's supposed to be played,unfortunatelyy,even when he was young, he broke down at the most inconvenient times.

Doc
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2012, 10:44 pm by Devil Doc »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2012, 11:10 pm »
I hope Youk does well, hated seeing him go.

One of the most endearing memories of my youth was watching Fisk hop down the 1st base line motioning the ball he just crushed to stay fair, it did - HOMERUN!