Amp for Maggies

squirrel_nut

Re: Amp for Maggies
« Reply #60 on: 5 Sep 2012, 11:52 pm »
save some bucks... you dont have to spend that much on the amp!

1) Belles
2) Adcom by Pass (BTW, will drive 2ohm loads with ease)

brooklyn

« Reply #61 on: 6 Sep 2012, 12:31 am »
Had Belles once before, amp and preamp, the sound was a little to polite for me.

The Adcom by Pass is news to me but I'll stick with the Bel Canto's.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #62 on: 6 Sep 2012, 01:34 am »
Brooklyn,
I've got some demo material for you - send me your address, please.
I'm guessing it's in New York?

josh358

« Reply #63 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:09 am »
2. Tube amps work well as long as they are 100 or so watts per side. Jolida JD1000 is a good option. I have found tubes the ONLY way to prevent the brightness issues that plague Maggies. When I say tube amps - I am not referring to hybrids...
Wendell Diller at Magnepan has an interesting take on this -- he says that brightness problems are generally not tweeter balance problems, but midbass issues.

lowtech

« Reply #64 on: 6 Sep 2012, 03:52 am »
Now comes the fun part......... POWER CABLES.........LOL

Look for some that are 100 ohms or less and you'll be fine.   :lol:

brooklyn

« Reply #65 on: 6 Sep 2012, 05:32 am »
Wendell Diller at Magnepan has an interesting take on this -- he says that brightness problems are generally not tweeter balance problems, but midbass issues.

Mr. Diller, no doubt, knows what he talking about. While I definitely can use some room treatments, the speakers sound much better with the new amps.

Look for some that are 100 ohms or less and you'll be fine.

Thank you for that info, I will look into it.

I
've got some demo material for you - send me your address, please.
I'm guessing it's in New York?

I was born in Brooklyn but left New York some twelve years ago. I will PM you, thanks.

brooklyn

« Reply #66 on: 6 Sep 2012, 06:28 am »
Look for some that are 100 ohms or less and you'll be fine

Okay, I give up  :scratch:  I've been on 3 major league power cable web site's
and I didn't see anything about ohms for their power cables.  :?

lowtech

« Reply #67 on: 6 Sep 2012, 07:21 am »
Okay, I give up  :scratch:  I've been on 3 major league power cable web site's
and I didn't see anything about ohms for their power cables.  :?

Perhaps I'm not the best person to take advise from.  However, you will likely discover that Hospital Grade power cords are as good as most costing many times more.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #68 on: 6 Sep 2012, 09:54 am »
Supra LoRad won't cost you a fortune if you can use a wire stripper and a screwdriver. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #69 on: 6 Sep 2012, 12:19 pm »
Perhaps I'm not the best person to take advise from.  However, you will likely discover that Hospital Grade power cords are as good as most costing many times more.

Only 18 gauge?   :scratch:

berni

« Reply #70 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:41 pm »
I never thought that power cables will have a effect on the sound until I tested the LOSSLESS DFPC Signature.
The result was a big surprise for me and some friends which all heard the same. We just looked each other with this funny look  :o
 :lol:
Immediately cleaner, defined, much more dynamics and resolution.
http://www.lessloss.com/high-performance-power-cables-c-65.html?zenid=uscl4skdsco2f3p2eabajofu33
For the unbelievers they also have a money back policy.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #71 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:42 pm »
  Glad to hear your liking your Class "D" Bel Cantos. When you have 500 hours of playing time on them all should be well broken in and ready to try power cords. It will easier to discern what cord makes the biggest difference for your personal taste.
   For me the best sounding Maggie system consisted of Maggie 20.1 powered by a CJ Premier One for the top and a Bryston 4B for bass. Using a Bryston 10B active crossover.
   Maggies are well suited for many amps. Ya just need power over 200W/ch wether tubed ,SS or Class "D". Remember there is NO best just what is best for you. Many classic combos to be had with Maggies. Have fun and enjoy.

charles

brooklyn

« Reply #72 on: 6 Sep 2012, 10:00 pm »
Hi Charles, the amps should be broken in, their preowned, or as we say in Brooklyn, used.

Funny you should mention the best sounding maggie system you ever heard.

The best maggie system I ever heard, I owned. MG 2b's biamped with a CJ PV2ar pre, a CJ MV45a driving the hi-end and a Sumo 9 plus driving the lo-end. I also used a passive Magnepan crossover, that was many systems ago, it sounded like liquid out of the speakers.

This is my forth and final trip down the maggie isle over a 25 year span. They do need power to sound their best.