Quick question regarding the 2BLP pro in bridged mode.

rob80b

Quick question regarding the 2BLP in bridged mode.

Currently I’m just using one channel of my 2BLP pro to power the Dynaudio Center in a 5.1 set-up and noticed it can get pretty hot after a few hours use, not a big deal (or is it) as it does sound fine.
But just curious if using it in bridge mode, thinking that the center with a bit more power may have an easier time keeping up with the Dynaudio Special 25s fronts powered by the 4BSST would be okay, but it has been mentioned numerous times that bridged mode may not be recommended for low impedance loads (therefore even more strain on the amp?) and may actually effect the sound (transparency).

Contour Center
Impedance, Nominal: 6 ohms
Impedance, (20 - 200 Hz): 4.1 - 7.1 ohms
Impedance, (200 - 20 kHz): 4.1 - 6.2 ohms

I know a 6BSST (or even a 9B) would be perfect to run the Contour center and Contour rears (now powered by the amp section of a B60R) but that’s not going to happen for a while, but reason being if half the amp is sitting idle why not use it.

Any thoughts on this before pulling everything out of the rack?

Thanks
Robert

rob80b

Re: Quick question regarding the 2BLP pro in bridged mode.
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:29 pm »
Ok, believe I have my answer. 3B/4BSST manual.
"In practice the actual output power achieved is limited by the capability of the power supply as well as the ability of the amplifier to dissipate the increased heat that is generated. It should noted that the usual minimum load connected to a pair of bridged 3B or 4B channels should be twice the minimum of 4 Ohms, or ≥ 8 Ohms." and would think that would apply even more so to the 2BLP.

So I believe it's best to leave well enough alone until funds allow an upgrade.

Robert

sfraser

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2012, 02:34 pm »
I have been using a similar setup for years. A  2BLP (bridged) for the Center channel. another 2BLP for left/right rear and a 4B for left/right mains. I have never had an issue with the 2BLP. The 2BLP heat sinks are in the front which should aid in ventilation for cabinet installs. As you mentioned if you were concerned you could leave it in stereo mode and use either the L or R channel.

I re-read you post, and modified this reply, your impedance is a little low for bridged mode, but it seems to swing a littler higher in the lower 20-200hz band, which would draw the most current hence create the most heat.  Are center channels receiving  full range 20-20khz signal  now with DTS HD etc.?

I have also seen some comments from James in the past  stating that bridged is not the "preferred" approach with the 2BLP, I believe it was in reference to a pair being used in a  L/R main channel use scenario .

Cheers,

Scott

rob80b

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2012, 03:30 pm »
Hi Scott

The Dyns can be fairly demanding so I'm also considering at least a 9BST, preferably a SST depending on costs.

Robert

sfraser

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2012, 09:00 pm »
Sweet amp, and it's designed for exactly what you want to do.
9b is a great choice.

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2012, 09:36 pm »
Another option could be the non-modular 5BST.

I'm just seriously getting to HT but I'm amazed at how much amplification is needed for the center and especially the surrounds as I did manage to clip the amp section of the B60R with the Contour surrounds on a few action films.
As I mentioned elsewhere ideally a 6B would be perfect but I'm still reeling from the recession.

Robert