Sorry if off topic- new tyler decade line vs. old linbrook line

bamaskery

Hello,

I have to apologize if this is the wrong forum, but seemed the best fit for my question. I am moving back to the US after three years in Korea and looking to get a new set of speakers. I am quite interested in the Tyler Acoustics line and understand Danny Ritchie designed the drivers and xovers for the new decade line. The old linbrook line appears to sell for quite a bit less on the used market than the newer decade line, which seems a bit scarce second hand. Thus, I was wondering how much of a difference there is between the old linbrook line and the new decade line. Given the importance of xovers and Mr. Ritchie's reputation, I am sure the new decade line is fantastic, but would be pushing my budget quite a bit to afford those. Thus, I was wondering if anyone here had compared the two. I saw one comparison on the Audiogon board, but was wondering if more input could be given.

Of specific interest would be:
Linbrook Sig monitor vs. Decade D3 and
Linbrook Sig II vs. Decade D2

The other options are likely out of my price range. My amp is a Stello (April Music) AI500 that I picked up over here in Korea. It is actually a nice amp and should be able to drive any of the options (150/300W into 8/4 ohms).

Thanks for any help!

Danny Richie

The main reason behind the new Decade series was to bring in an improved product line.

We started with designing the drivers around the parameters necessary to optimize each model. And I always had issues with the Seas Excel drivers anyway. Those woofers just never had a natural sound to me. Vocals always have a veiled artificial quality to them. They also tended to have a slight residual ring in their upper ranges from the break up region in the upper end of their range. They had a nice motor structure design though.

So we maintained a similar motor design but used a paper based cone material to get a smooth response without break up issues. And they have a much smoother and more natural sound without giving up any resolution.

A similar tweeter to the Seas was also designed.

Then each design received a crossover design that was designed based on the acoustic output of the drivers in each design and not a crossover based on simulations or electric parameters like the earlier designs that were offered. Some of those Leap based designs are barely a shot in the dark sometimes too. So all of the new designs have a very accurate and balanced response, and are a clear step up across the board.

Ty sometimes has some Demo units that he can make some deals on. And sometimes he has customers trade up to bigger models and they swap in their smaller ones. So if you are interested in some of his new Decade models give him a call and see what kind of deal he might make you. He just might have a great deal for you that you just don't know about yet. 

bamaskery

Thanks very much for the additional info on the reason for the change from the Seas Excel drivers. The Tyler website is interesting in the lack of subjective information on the decade line or even the differences between speakers within the line other than size, weight , freq. Maybe Tyler is especially fond of using the phone in this internet age. Anyways, it sounds like an intriguing design decision given the seas popularity and use in Linkwitz, Salk, etc. I will definitely give them a call when I get back to the US and see if I can swing a d3(m). I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my question in this forum as I realize it is off topic for this forum.

Best wishes and hope to hear your efforts one day.

Danny Richie

Maybe Tyler is especially fond of using the phone in this internet age.

This is true. Ty does not like to spend his time on Internet forums. He likes spending his time building loudspeaker cabinets. To talk to him on the phone is to know him. His Southern style hospitality runneth over. He'll do just about anything for his customers and sell you whatever you want. When you think of a good old boy from Kentucky, he's it.

Welcome to AC.