Return to Forever "Returns" in 24/96

simon wagstaff

Return to Forever "Returns" in 24/96
« on: 29 Jun 2012, 11:29 am »
I saw this on the RTF website and don't seem to be able to find any more information. Anybody know anything about this?

http://ccwforever.com

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Return to Forever "Returns" in 24/96
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:30 pm »
Looks to simply be their 2012 Grammy-winning reunion album, but only available as a USB package at $70 (or more).

simon wagstaff

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2012, 11:24 pm »
If you ACTUALLY look at it says that it is 5 full hours of personally selected tracks by Chick from that tour. Just the album in 24/96 would be very cool, but this appears to be much more.

Anybody have any more information?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2012, 11:25 pm »
If you ACTUALLY look at it says that it is 5 full hours of personally selected tracks by Chick from that tour. Just the album in 24/96 would be very cool, but this appears to be much more.

Anybody have any more information?

Good point, but still a little pricey IMO.  it would be nice just to be able to buy the Grammy-winning selections in 24 bit, at some reasonable $20 price.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2012, 12:29 pm »
It is a little pricey, but not really in today's terms. A single Japanese SACD will run $55, of course that is physical media. I would be very happy is they released the Jethro Tull Aqualung blu ray disc on it's own, otherwise it costs $150.00. I'd like to at least know what tracks are on it, it should be the album and then some but they just don't say.

To me, 24/96 is worth it.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm »
Isn't the album alone $14.95, which also includes the flac downloads?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2012, 01:22 pm »
Isn't the album alone $14.95, which also includes the flac downloads?

Not hirez.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2012, 01:47 pm »
I just noticed it's not on the Return to Forever website, just the Chick Corea one, which makes sense. I am going to try googling a little differently and see what I can find.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2012, 02:42 pm »
Yeah, it does make sense since it isn't exactly RTF - it's CCW. I'd like to hear them as a trio. I must confess that I've never heard any of that material. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. $70 seems fair to me for five hours of music - especially in 24/96.

I thought RTF was smokin' in their '08 incarnation, with Al Di Meola. Their latest is certainly brilliant - man, would I have loved to catch them with Zappa Plays Zappa. What a night that would be! (It's because of FZ that I became aware of Ponty.) The third disc in 'The Mothership Returns' is a DVD that contains full footage of two songs at Montreux - please tell me there's a blu-ray coming soon.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2012, 03:28 pm »
I liked the 2008 version, I have some nice 24/96 audience recordings from that tour. the blu ray disc is very nice!  When I saw them at Merriweather though the sound was WAAAY overdriven, very distorted and painful.

I had front row seats for this band, and absolutely loved it!  Amazing to be so close and watch all the interactions. Like Lenny said "A man's BAND". Ponty was just terrific and I enjoyed gambale as well. it was a different take on familiar tunes, which I really enjoyed. I liked it so much I flew down to Atlanta to see them again at the Fox, with Jimmy Herring on the School Days encore!  Weird

I don't think returns is all Trio, I know they had Flora Purim sit in on some tracks along with her hubby, whats his name...  :) and I think Ponty is there sometimes also. I don't want to be inaccurate but too lazy to look it up.

Mothership returns is fantastic, one of the best sounding red book cd live recordings I have heard, but still red book. would love to see a similar hi rez download package for that. The videos are terrible, jump cut to pieces, I don't think there is a camera angle that lasts more than 2 seconds.

I'd like to know just a little bit more about this before I pick it up, but likely will, perhaps only in the hope that if it is successful we will get more.

BTW the SACD of Romantic Warrior is mind blowing.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2012, 01:21 pm »
Not a lot of enthusiasm for what seems to me to be a pretty significant hi rez release. Fair enough, I ordered it today and will report back! I hope that by supporting this more will be released. Strange that you can't just download it, I suppose it could be more than 10 gigs so pretty big files could be the limitation.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2012, 12:46 pm »
Got it yesterday and popped it in. 6.2 gigs of music. Sound is terrific, basically unprocessed live recordings, very nice. it is basically the acoustic trio band, well recorded live jazz.

Gail Moran's voice has seen better days I am afraid.

I am very happy with it, only about 1/2 through. Sure would be nice if the recent live album, "Mothership" would also be released in 24/96.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2012, 04:21 pm »
Thanks for the update, Simon. I'm rather surprised at how little interest your thread seems to have generated - these are brilliant musicians. I'll order my copy today. Of course, I won't be able to enjoy it on the big rig - the damn Sonos won't pass a 24/96 signal to my DAC (and the only shortcoming of the ARC DAC7 is its USB support). I bought a Marantz NA-7004, but that turned out to be a dud - doesn't transition between files without creating gaps.

My bedroom system, which includes a PC, handles hirez fine. I need a better player in the cave. I intend to get one; I just don't know what. All I want is a network audio player that can read the files off my NAS, route the data to my DAC, support up to 24/192 and do it without adding dead air time between tracks. It would be a bonus if it had as slick of an interface as the Sonos. Is that so much to ask? Regardless, I'm sure I'll find such a player eventually and this looks like a terrific motivator towards that end. :lol:

chrisby

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2012, 04:42 pm »

I don't think returns is all Trio, I know they had Flora Purim sit in on some tracks along with her hubby, whats his name...  :)

Airto Moreira

rbbert

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2012, 05:21 pm »
Is there much documentation with the USB drive?  I'm interested in knowing more about which guest musicians are present?

simon wagstaff

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2012, 02:36 am »
Aye, there's the rub. Zero track information, just a jpeg with the cover on it. I am very surprised about that. I have looked around a bit and can find very little information, I have posted on Chick's facebook page, checked out his website, googled etc.

Yes, these guys are awesome and major jazz legends, all of them. The sound on this is very good, without being spectacular, in a way. Just uncompressed acoustic instruments, the piano sound is gorgeous as is the acoustic bass, especially in a couple of the RTF tunes they do. Imaging, midrange smoothness, soundstage and bass definition are hallmarks of these recording. Very relax but not really hi-rez demo material.

Yes, Airto, sorry, I was too lazy to look it up. Thanks!  I knew that :)

I still haven't listened to it all the way through but the RTF material is really standing out. After the Cosmic Rain and No Mystery are stand outs...

I want to support this in the hopes they will do the same thing with the Mothership album, which sounds incredible really, for a 16/44.1 recording. In 24/96 it would probably melt me.

They do need to release a little more information if they want this to sell.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2012, 12:44 am »
Is there much documentation with the USB drive?  I'm interested in knowing more about which guest musicians are present?

There is no documentation whatsoever. What one gets is a nice cardboard box with magnetic closure, inside of which is a USB thumb drive of quality construction - nicely engraved. On the drive are a pair of directories containing 34 tracks - hirez flacs in one and mp3s in the other. The hirez recordings sound live - very, very good (I want to hear this on the big rig!).

I'm very glad I purchased this (thanks, Simon) - as I expected, the trio wants for nothing.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2012, 12:40 pm »
I just use a mac mini, toslink out and decibel. However, it will not pass a 24/192 signal, just 24/96. Three terabytes of storage gives me a lot of music at my fingertips.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2012, 10:38 pm »
Just going to give this a bump. If you like acoustic jazz, this is a wonderful set of music.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2012, 12:31 am »
Indeed, it is. I can now listen to it on the big rig. I bought a Bryston BDP-1 - a fantastic piece of kit! Anyway, this USB thumb drive is well worth the price - great music and a great recording in 24/96.

Thanks again for mentioning it.