bathroom Airplay setup, please advice

Marius

bathroom Airplay setup, please advice
« on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:17 am »
Hi ,

For streaming music over airplay to my bathroom, I would consider this JBL amp http://www.amazon.ca/Sea-Worthy-2Channel-60Wat-Jblma6002/dp/B000XBIYN6 with an Airport Express (wired to the ethernet), and of course waterproof speakers (preferably a stereo speaker, since it is a not-so-large-bathroom. AE-out into JBL-in. Switching the set on/off with my light switch, making it fully controllable with the i-machines.

The setup is not in the bathroom, but right above it, making it not exactly necessary to be waterproof, but I happened to stumble across this amp. If you would have better suggestions in this price-range, i'd be happy to receive them .

Would you think this matches nicely? Or would you have other tips/suggestions? I can not seem to find an amp that has native airplay support yet. `there are some iPod docks available, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Marius

JohnR

Re: bathroom Airplay setup, please advice
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:30 am »
Interesting question. You say that it is "not exactly necessary to be waterproof". Would any of the speakers on this list be suitable?

http://airplayspeakers.com/airplay-speakers-current-options-and-alternatives/#.T-lyHystigl

Marius

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:34 am »
I should have mentioned that exactly the only parts that do have to be waterproof are/is the speaker.....  :duh: :duh:

I would like to have those ceiling-speakers, preferably 1 stereo. the rest of the system can be tucked away in the attic, and thus is clear of water (and damp).

But thanks for the list!

Marius

Interesting question. You say that it is "not exactly necessary to be waterproof". Would any of the speakers on this list be suitable?

http://airplayspeakers.com/airplay-speakers-current-options-and-alternatives/#.T-lyHystigl

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:45 am »
Oh right  :duh:  :lol:

toslink

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2012, 03:06 pm »
I think the answer to your question comes down to if you want a turnkey solution or if you want a custom solution. If you're open to a custom solution, a set of in-ceiling speakers, or a single stereo in-ceiling speaker (a dual-voicecoil speaker) can work well. Combine it with a small stereo amplifier, an in-wall volume control, and you've got a very competent system.

From a budget standpoint, assuming you did the work yourself, on the low end you could pull off the project for, say $200. On the high end, you could spend upwards of $500 and have a very good sounding system, that fills the bathroom with very full sound. The extra $$ would go to a better amplifier and a higher-end in-ceiling speakers. Personally, the custom solution is the way I would do I'd do it. 

toslink

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2012, 06:36 am »
I owe you an apology of sorts. I looked at the URL in your first post and thought the link was to a JBL boombox type radio, when in fact, it was to a marine-grade 12v amplifier. That said, it poses a question: I'm curious why would you start there for an amplifier vs. a 120v home-audio amplifier? There are a lot of ways to approach getting you the system you're looking for, and I am confident I can design a solution that'll work. I just need to know why the 12v idea came up first. 

srb

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2012, 07:37 am »
I'm guessing that Marius' selection of the marine 12V amplifier was first made because it was a sealed water-resistant marine amplifier, not because it was 12V (as most marine products would normally be)?

I can understand if someone would prefer an in-ceiling speaker and a hidden amplifier, but I thought I would mention that in my bathroom I am using a single mono Yamaha MSP-3 powered speaker with an Airport Express that sit on a high shelf (and I wired a switched outlet right above the shelf).

It has been operating for almost three years and so far has not been affected by bathroom moisture.  And it sounds very good.

I am using the internal DAC of the Airport Express with the analog out into the powered speaker, and first ran into a problem when I used an adapter to sum the stereo output into mono.  The sound was heavily distorted and unlistenable.  A little research revealed that my 2nd Gen Airport Express can't tolerate having it's stereo analog output summed to mono, while the 1st Gen Airport Express had no problem doing that.

What saved me was that this particular Yamaha powered monitor has two inputs (one balanced and one unbalanced) each with its own volume control.  It also has bass and treble controls that allowed me to bump up both the bass and treble a bit which helped to overcome the shower white noise.

I don't know if the latest Airport Express would distort or not if its analog output were summed to mono.

Steve

toslink

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2012, 04:22 am »
Great reply, and some really useful information about the Airport Express. One strategy I've used in the past to avoid electrical interactions at the source device resulting from summing a stereo signal to mono using Y adapters is to isolate the source from the downstream component using an audio ground loop isolation transformer, then sum the signal on the output side of the transformer.

Here's a low-cost adapter as an example: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Ground-Loop-Isolator/dp/B004Z1D6DI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1342152350&sr=8-6&keywords=ground+loop+transformer

There are higher quality isolation transformers available, and you'd go up the cost scale depending on the overall fidelity of the system. But for a bathroom application, a low-cost transfomer is more than adequate for the application.

Now...as to using a marine-rated 12v amplifier, based on how I understood the application as described in the original post, the power amplifier would be placed in the room above the bathroom. If that's the case, then the 12v marine amplifier is not needed whatsoever. You'd just buy a 120v stereo amplifer and be done with it by simply running speaker cable between the amplifier, the in-wall volume control, and the speaker(s). However, if the amplifier were to be placed in the bathroom, one could do that...but you'd still have a 120v powered Airport Express and the 120v-to-DC power supply to power the amplifier in the bathrrom, so...well, I think you see my point. Where's the advantage of the 12v amplifier?

Ultimately, there are a lot of different ways to do this. I think your solution using a powered speaker is the simplest overall...and because there are all manner of powered speakers available, it could be done for as little as $15 all the way up to hundreds/thousands. But, because there are many, many different ways to get sound into the bathroom, the best solution here requires knowing information such as budget, desired aesthetics, simplicity/ease-of-use, the installer's capability, etc.

--david

Marius

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2012, 08:05 am »
HI All,

thanks for the above! I had not realized the JBl to be 12v. That's not what I intended to use indeed! I was looking for a simple and water-resistant 240v amplifier of some quality. Connect it;s line in to an AirportExpress out, a stereo waterproof speaker, and control it all through my iPod/phone.

Switch on and off with my light-switch.

I can place everything in the attic, so real need for waterproofness(??) is only for the speaker, but the JBL seemed to fit the bill alright. I'd receive any recommendation for other amps gladly.

Thanks!
Marius

toslink

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:59 pm »
Since the AirportExpress will be in the attic, too, I'm assuming that there's no actual need for the amplifier to be moisture-proof. Assuming I have that right, probably the simplest way to do this bathroom system would be to place the AE and a small stereo amplifier in the attic together.

This amplifier, for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SA-50-SMSL-TDA7492-Class-T-Digital-Amplifier-50W-x-2-Power-Adapter-/271010895320?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3f198215d8).

The amp has a universal power supply, allowing it to work with either 120v or 240v "mains" power. You could connect the analog audio out from the AE to the amp's RCA inputs, then set the amp's volume to 100%.

You'd then control control the bathroom's speaker volume one of two ways:

1. Use an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad as a volume control device. You'd either be using AirPlay, sending music directly from the portable device to the AE; or you'd be using Apple's "Remote" app to control both the music sent from your iTunes library to the AE and the volume level coming out of the AE. From an ease-of-installation and cost standpoint, this option is the best overall.

2. Install a resistor or a typical impedance-matching volume control in the wall in the bathroom. If this sounds like a better way for you, my recommendation is to use the resistor-based model over the transformer-based model. The reason I recommend the resistor-based models is because unlike the impedance-matching controls, they don't use transformers, which always "soften" the sound. The difference is not subtle between the two types of volume controls. I should note that the impedance-matching volume controls have a purpose, and that's to magnify the speaker's impedance, allowing multiple speakers to be connected to the amplifier while maintaining a safe load to the amplifier--which is only important in systems with a lot of speakers, which isn't the case here.  The resistor-based models truly don't have a "sound" to them.

Here's an example of the resistor-based model: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-8230. Knoll Systems and Phoenix Gold also sell resistor-based volume controls, as do a few others. That said, having an in-wall volume control makes adjusting the volume easier, and trouble-free when your hands are wet. But, it adds cost and you'd need to run the speaker wires down inside the wall, and that may be more complex of a task than you're willing to undertake for a benefit thatn might be small to you. It's up to you, though. 

Let us know what your plan is.

--david

p.s.: I didn't mention speakers, as I believe that's something you can manage.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2012, 05:06 pm by toslink »

Marius

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2012, 07:33 pm »
HI Thanks for this,
my plan was scenario 1...

I'd prefer amp without volumecontrol (the reason I selected the JBL before) and control it completely with my iPhone/pod .

ANd about those speakers, well, that's not as easy as it seems. I still haven't found what Im looking for. A waterproof stereo speaker (not a pair of mono speakers). All 3 elements should fit each other (AE out, Amp (230v) in and stereo speaker.

Hope you can give some more definite advice.

Thanks,
MArius

srb

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2012, 09:44 pm »
Outdoor Speaker Depot has a selection of DVC stereo wall/ceiling mount speakers.  While they don't specifically say water resistant, they do mention bathrooms for applications.  They all have either polypropylene or kevlar cones, so I'm sure they would be fine.

They also ship internationally.

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/ceiling-speakers-single-stereo-dual-voice-coil.html

Steve

Marius

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2012, 09:47 pm »
Steve, thank you, that looks promising indeed!

Outdoor Speaker Depot has a selection of DVC stereo wall/ceiling mount speakers.  While they don't specifically say water resistant, they do mention bathrooms for applications.  They all have either polypropylene or kevlar cones, so I'm sure they would be fine.

They also ship internationally.

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/ceiling-speakers-single-stereo-dual-voice-coil.html

Steve

toslink

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2012, 04:07 pm »
Okay...it sounds like the simpler the system design the better for your house. If that's right, I'd use the AirPort Express and the small 120v/240v stereo amplifier in the attic above the bathroom. The AirportExpress would connect to the the amplifier using a 3.5mm-to-RCA patch cable, and AC power for both the amplifier and AirportExpress would be controlled by the light switch.

As far as the speaker goes, you could use two in-ceiling speakers, but based on my experience using a single "stereo" speaker is better. I say this because most bathrooms are small, and don't have enough room for two speakers in the ceiling. The speaker recommended above will be fine, I'm sure. Simply wire both the left and right amplifier channels to the speaker, and you'll be fine. The amplifier will provide more than enough power to make the speaker quite loud. It'll sound great. I wouldn't worry too much about finding a speaker that's "weatherproof". I've been in the custom home audio/video industry for seven years now, and have yet to see an in-ceiling speaker used in a bathroom fail due to water damage. Simply buy the best speaker your budget allows and you'll be fine.

Let us know how it turns out.

--david