Advertising in magazines

Rory B.

Advertising in magazines
« on: 29 May 2004, 05:03 am »
How much do you think it would cost to place a small business-card-sized advertisement in The Absolute Sound or Stereophile Magazine? Something like that could drum up a lot of business for smaller ventures like GR-Research, Rutledge Audio Design, and Acoustic Elegance. Also, a Sound & Vision Magazine advertisement would help reach even more people who are likely to be interested in GR-Research's offerings.

Tonto Yoder

Advertising in magazines
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2004, 05:22 am »
Some indication--
https://media.primediamags.com/OMK/links/GenRatePage1.pdf

smallest size listed is one-third page.

Danny Richie

Advertising in magazines
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2004, 04:33 am »
The real question is, "I wonder how much I would have to raise the price of my products to cover those ad campaigns?"

jonwb

Advertising in magazines
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2004, 04:43 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Some indication--
https://media.primediamags.com/OMK/links/GenRatePage1.pdf

smallest size listed is one-third page.

Wow!  Not much of a discount for a 2 year ad campaign...

I'll do my part to help spread the word by putting Danny's phone number on the walls of every bathroom... wait a minute, Danny might benefit from a more targeted approach.  I'll only put his name on the bathroom walls when I'm visiting audio stores.   :lol:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Advertising in magazines
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2004, 11:20 am »
Obviously one wouldn't place an ad for less than 12 months, or the per ad cost would be too high for a small company.  Those prices for adding one or more colors are very high.
I'll just continue to write Danny's phone number on the local hi-fi shop bathroom walls.  Of course the females aren't exposed to it, but they don't care about speakers and are in the shops only because their husbands dragged them through the front doors. :)

Tonto Yoder

Advertising in magazines
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2004, 12:36 pm »
There's also the section near the back of Stereophile--Audio Mart that accepts quite small ads and classifieds.  For just a print ad, it's $35/ line with a 5 line minimum. There are also nicer ads with color, pics or logos that are relatively small (but still noticeable).; sixteen of 'em per page. Those rates aren't disclosed.  Places like Altavista (the Counterpoint modifier), Per Madsen LP racks advertise there.

MaxCast

Advertising in magazines
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2004, 02:16 pm »
Just as an example:  if a company made 20% net income on sales they would have to generate $5K in sales just to cover a $1K ad and break even on the ad.

The AudioMart Tonto refers to is a good avenue for the smaller guys.

Advertising and marketing is a PITA for small companies but unfortunately everything revolves around it.

Carlman

Advertising in magazines
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2004, 02:33 pm »
Quote from: Danny
The real question is, "I wonder how much I would have to raise the price of my products to cover those ad campaigns?"

Another real question is, "I wonder if word of mouth advertising will keep bread on my table?"  Or, "I wonder how people will know if my speakers exist?... and if so, are they worth auditioning?"

I believe good advertising (the kind that costs more and requires thought) is usually very effective.  So much so, that the manufacturer reaps the benefits of higher production.  This is the goal.. it's not just a cost, it's an investment.  Or, put less eloquently, People who advertise make more money; they don't make money and then 'blow it' on advertising.

Danny Richie

Advertising
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2004, 02:58 pm »
Another real question is, "I wonder if word of mouth advertising will keep bread on my table?" Or, "I wonder how people will know if my speakers exist?...

Well, over half a million hits and an average of about 15,000 visitors to our web site each month does not hurt.

Fortunately hobbyist are very vocal about what they are building, getting, or thinking about and feedback from customers on the Internet has been really good for us.

Happy customers go a long way...

Small shows like the DIY events we have hosted, VSAC show, and the coming show in Denver really help too.

But keep the ideas coming. I'm all ears.

Carlman

Advertising in magazines
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2004, 03:37 pm »
Yes, word of mouth has spread to incorporate the Internet as a real marketing tool.... for free!

I think that forums and reviews online are an excellent avenue for any business, especially small audio companies.

As to ideas, it just depends on your plans and/or where you want your business to be.  You may already be there.  If the people reading your site are getting a message that is consistent with your goals, you're doing well since you're getting so many visitors.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Advertising in magazines
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2004, 12:19 pm »
No breakthrough ideas here.  As Carlman says, if your current income and growth rate is meeting your goal, you don't need expensive advertising.  How far into the future that will carry you is the big question.  I'm afraid that if you continue to grow, you'll have to devote more time to production and design and less to answering forum questions, which is the thing that DIYers respond well to.  The day will come when you will have to advertise if you want to get bigger.  For now, I'd suggest you really push the travelling demos for your smaller speakers.  That program seems to be quite successful.

Rory B.

Advertising in magazines
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2004, 09:06 pm »
Well, get one of the small ads in the back of Stereophile. Some people are leery about something they can only hear about over the internet. Besides, you can do quite a bit with six lines.

GR-Research
Quality High-Fidelity
Speakers and Subwoofers
Starting at under $300
DIY Kits Available
http://www.gr-research.com/

Six lines, and says everything it needs to say, for less than the price of one of your finished speakers. $35/line totals out to $210 for the ad. That is definitely a manageable price, and hardly amounts to a $1K ad campaign. Unless you want to place the ad for five months.