EURO 2012

Dave G

EURO 2012
« on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:54 pm »
Well, the stronger team won each of the quarterfinal games and so we have two outstanding semifinal matches coming up:  Spain-Portugal on Wednesday and Germany-Italy on Thursday.   Who do you like?  I see a Spain-Germany final, but Portugal and Italy have played better than I thought they would, and I wouldn't be shocked if either or both made the final.

Pirlo was incredible yesterday against England -- it looked like he could do anything he wanted in the middle of the field.  But I think the way England played had something to do with that.       

I loved Joachim Löw's comment after Germany crushed Greece 4-2, that Greece had one chance and scored TWO goals (the second was a silly penalty in second half stoppage time).

avta

Re: EURO 2012
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:03 pm »
Terrific entertainment but spoiled to some extent in my view by the numerous shirt-grabbing and holding which according to my understanding of the rules should be cautioned not just penalized. What's your take on that?

Delacroix

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2012, 04:40 pm »
The shirt tugging, especially at set pieces into the box is a scourge that referees cannot seem to eradicate. I've seen rare penalties given against defenders for this with the general response from fans and commentators that while this is legal, it's not fully appropriate given the common occurrence of this. The rub is, until such time as FIFA or the like take a universal stand on it and every referee consistently calls these tugs over a season, it won't change. Players also are very adept at disguising these, using their arms and bodies to block movement and runs of opponents and while we get to see these with the aid of multiple camera angles, the officials do not have that advantage. Just watch a typical corner at the Euros and you'll see strikers literally held by defenders who put their arms around them just as they try to move -- in the rush of play, it's hard to call for a ref and it's been part of the game forever. Plus ca change.....For me, this is annoying but not as bad as blatant diving or faking injury to gain advantage - the number of times some players go to ground on minimal contact just to hold up play or to score a free kick in a good position is more frustrating to watch. The commentators even now describe this as 'clever' but it is not so in my book.

Now as for the games....while I love to see talent win out, and Spain are great to watch, I would like to see Portugal pull off a victory against both them and Germany. Either way, it's been a great competition, those little professional fouls aside.

avta

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:29 pm »
couldn't agree with you more. I've seen a few yellow cards given for dives in the past season or two but cannot remember one for holding unless it's in the 6 yd box. The next few matches should be great to watch. I think Germany will win it all.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2012, 03:38 pm »
Teflon coated compression shirt will be the shirt of choice for those who can sport it -- flabby bellied need not apply.   :green:

I want Spain and Germany in the final.  It would be all right if Christiano Ronaldo continues his heroics (brilliant in quarters) and beat Spain but I don't want Italy.  The Azzurri is playing a very unimaginative ball right now -- quite boring to see.   

a.wayne

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2012, 05:05 am »
Germany Portugal final .....

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2012, 07:52 am »
Huge match for Germany on Thursday...wish I wasn't working that day!!

For a brief minute this weekend, I thought Wayne Rooney was actually going to show up in a big international match...he barely missed that bicycle kick. All I know is that if you're going to completely abandon your offense in OT in order to force a shootout, you better be able to put your shot on goal. No excuse for hitting the crossbar, especially when you're 1-up on Italy. England can't seem to get it together.

Ronaldo has certainly showed up this tourney...will be very interesting to see if he can find net against Spain.

Next to the USA squad, Germany is my team...I love the mixture of younger and more seasoned players right now. And although Gomez is the better player at this stage, I wish my boy Klose would get the start Thursday. He's been  my favorite player over the past ten years or so and it's sad to know his career is winding down. Gomez sort of reminds me of an even creepier version of Crispen Glover.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2012, 07:43 pm »
Spain looks a little slow first half.  Portugal not playing to not lose but playing to win.  Subs in the second half might make the difference.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2012, 08:17 pm »
I admit I tuned in late, but what's with ajj the flopping/diving??

Embarrasing.

Delacroix

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2012, 08:28 pm »
I just wish Ronaldo would surprise everyone and actually not shoot at every single free kick -- he would shock the Spanish defense if he passed or crossed one ;)

Anyway, please not penalties...please.....

F-100

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2012, 09:08 pm »
Sloppy game on both teams! There are more yellow cards than shots on target.

a.wayne

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:29 am »
 Yep ....Spain .... :cry:

Dave G

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:28 pm »
The Spain-Portugal game was kind of choppy, but to me that was because neither team conceded the midfield.  These days almost all teams concede the midfield to Spain (and Barcelona -- pretty much the same midfield players), pack in the defense and hope to score on a counterattack.  Every now and then it works, but usually it doesn't.  But yesterday Portugal played even up and aggressively in the midfield and kept Spain from getting its 70 percent possession passing game going.  On the other hand, Portugal never really got its attack going, either.  Spain was finally the clear better team in overtime, but I thought Portugal would take the PKs, esp. when their keeper saved the first Spain kick.  But then things unraveled for Portugal.  Nani and Alves disagreeing about who would kick first?  Leaving maybe the best player in the world to kick last or, as it turned out, not at all?  What were they thinking?

I like Germany in today’s game, although Italy should make it competitive.  It would be nice to have at least one goal – the last two games (England-Italy and Spain-Portugal) have been scoreless ties that went to PKs.

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:35 pm »
I was lucky enough to watch the Spain/France game in Spain and those Spanish fans are completely nuts!  They were partying all night and having a blast.  I'm not a soccer fan but there have been some exciting games in this year's Euro Cup. 

I hate the flopping and saw a lot of it in the Italy/England game (mainly by the Italians).  More flopping than most NBA games.

Cheers,
J

F-100

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:40 pm »
Let's go Germany!!!! 3-1 is my predicted final score.

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2012, 07:38 pm »
Looks like Balotelli took his psych meds today...

Cacophonix

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2012, 08:18 pm »
wth ... italy leading???!!!  :evil: :evil:

My money is still on Germany though!

Cacophonix

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2012, 08:55 pm »
Unbelievable!  :evil: :evil:
Germany were clearly the better team, but sadly ended up on the losing side.

F-100

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2012, 09:15 pm »
Goodbye Germany!!!   :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Better luck next time.

I picked them to win the Cup.  :duh:

putz

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:18 am »
Made $40 today in the office pool. Had the first 5 games correct and everyone had Germany today and Sunday, so pay me my money.  Thank you Super Mario.

One of my coworkers is Ukranian and he caught 4 matches in the first round. He had a ball over there.