Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?
« Reply #100 on: 6 Aug 2012, 11:13 pm »
+1...but then, I own a bike shop so I'm biased just a bit.

But truly, a *good* shop will know the right questions to ask to point you in the right direction, will properly fit you to the bike so you're comfortable and efficient, will make sure you have the stuff you need to ride the way you want to ride, and will be there after the sale to keep you on the road for years to come.
Here's a tip: if you're in a bike shop looking for a bike, and they don't ask you at least 3 or 4 questions about your goals, experience, etc before showing you a bike (and "how much do you want to spend" doesn't count!), walk away and find another shop.
Ask, too, about whether they do bike fittings, and if they do, about *how* they fit you. If all they do is take some body measurements and plug those into a calculator, walk away. Every person is different in their fitness level, their range of motion, their flexibility and their goals: ALL of those affect how you fit to a bicycle.     

I am getting great support from one of my local bike shops (including the great 5 day demo of the Parlee Z5 and a fitting).  However, I might have to bring my business elsewhere if I can't find a bike from the lines he carries.

I am also still thinking about the used route as it gets you so much more for the money.

George

mick wolfe

« Reply #101 on: 6 Aug 2012, 11:43 pm »
I am getting great support from one of my local bike shops (including the great 5 day demo of the Parlee Z5 and a fitting).  However, I might have to bring my business elsewhere if I can't find a bike from the lines he carries.

I am also still thinking about the used route as it gets you so much more for the money.

I'd probably only buy used ( especially carbon) if I knew and trusted the person doing the selling and the bike in question. There's no way of truly knowing the bike's past history buying off Craig's List or the internet. The bike could have seen a little trauma without showing it. If the seller isn't completely honest and you later find you're dissatisfied with the bike.....good luck. So much for the money saved at that point

jackman

« Reply #102 on: 7 Aug 2012, 04:05 am »
George, what brands does your local shop carry?  After doing some evaluations, I'd recommend Ultegra Di2 on whatever frame you wind up buying. It is reasonably priced and awesome.  I'm officially sold on electronic shifting.  My next bike will have it!

Cheers

Jack

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #103 on: 7 Aug 2012, 10:47 am »
George, what brands does your local shop carry?  After doing some evaluations, I'd recommend Ultegra Di2 on whatever frame you wind up buying. It is reasonably priced and awesome.  I'm officially sold on electronic shifting.  My next bike will have it!

Cheers

Jack

The dealer that I have borrowed the Parlee from also carries Giant, Pinarello, Cyfac, Guru, Honey, and a few others.

Another dealer I have gone to carries Specialized, Cervelo, and Trek.

I have tried a Cervelo S5 with Di2 and it was cool.  I am not sure if it worth what it costs, but I definitely liked it.

George

jackman

« Reply #104 on: 7 Aug 2012, 11:44 pm »
George,

You have a lot of good brands on th list. I would test the new Giant TCR, Trek Madone (the new aero model with integrated brakes/fork), and the Roubaix S-Works, Tarmac, and Trek Domane.  There are lots of good choices in your range and you should be able to find one that works for you.

I'm going to try the new Trek Madone and Domane, along with a couple others.  Trek has a great warranty, lifetime on frame to original owner. This is something to think about because used frames have no warranty.  Other manufacturers have lifetime as well but some only have a 3 year. Just something to think about.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #105 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:01 am »
George,

You have a lot of good brands on th list. I would test the new Giant TCR, Trek Madone (the new aero model with integrated brakes/fork), and the Roubaix S-Works, Tarmac, and Trek Domane.  There are lots of good choices in your range and you should be able to find one that works for you.

I'm going to try the new Trek Madone and Domane, along with a couple others.  Trek has a great warranty, lifetime on frame to original owner. This is something to think about because used frames have no warranty.  Other manufacturers have lifetime as well but some only have a 3 year. Just something to think about.

Jackman,

That's a lot of bikes to test!   Given that I can only test 1 or maybe 2 a week, it will take a while.   :wink:

George

jackman

« Reply #106 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:19 am »
George,
I hope it doesn't take you that long.  You should be able to tell when you find the right bike for a price you are willing to pay.  There is no perfect choice. Get one that fits you well and rides well and pull the trigger. You will probably lust after another bike in a couple years no matter what you wind up getting.

Thanks

Jack

wes_in_va

« Reply #107 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:32 am »
Jackman,

That's a lot of bikes to test!   Given that I can only test 1 or maybe 2 a week, it will take a while.   :wink:

George

I'd definitely agree on the Domane. We just got our first batch into my shop and I'm super impressed. I'd unloading my Madone 6.2 to get a Domane.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #108 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:41 am »
Which Domane model?

What year...2012 or 2013?

George

jackman

« Reply #109 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:45 am »
George, I think it's a new design. Here is Sparticus' ride/Domane:

http://velonews.competitor.com/tag/trek-domane

wes_in_va

« Reply #110 on: 8 Aug 2012, 01:14 am »
Which Domane model?

What year...2012 or 2013?

George

Yep, brand new 2013 model. Super smooth.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #111 on: 10 Aug 2012, 01:05 am »
Today I was fortunate to test ride the Cervelo R5 VWD SRAM Red (http://www.landrys.com/product/12cervelo-r5-vwd-sram-red-1955.htm).  My comments below are in comparison to the Parlee Z5 I was able to ride over a 5 day period.  I realize that it isn't totally "fair" to take an hour comparison against a mutli-day one, but this is the best I can do under the circumstances.

The R5 is a great bike but it simply didn't wow me (especially considering it's almost $7k price tag).

While it was light, fast, and powerful, I found it twitchy compared to the Z5.  It constantly wanted to sway or move slightly and took more concentration to keep it going straight.  Additionally, I felt the road a lot more than the Z5.  It wasn't like I was on pins and needles, but it was a noticeably harder ride.  I also didn't like the shifting as much with the SRAM Red vs. Shimano Ultegra of the Z5.  This is less about quality and more about preference. 

All of these observations were during a 65 minute ride with about half of it being on the same roads that I have been riding the Z5 on.

Given all of those factors, I think it is unlikely that I will purchase the R5.

Tomorrow I will ride the Specialized Roubaiux and see how that goes.  Unfortunately, the store doesn't have the new Trek Domane 6.2 or 6.9 in stock so I won't be riding that anytime soon.

George

AB

« Reply #112 on: 10 Aug 2012, 02:30 am »
George, were you able to test the R3? Just curious.
It's too bad you won't easily be able to try the Domane.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2012, 03:47 am by AB »

tvad4

« Reply #113 on: 10 Aug 2012, 03:37 am »
George, your experience and impressions of the Cervelo R5 closely mirror my experience with the R3.

I think you nailed it in your 65 minute ride.

jackman

« Reply #114 on: 10 Aug 2012, 03:15 pm »
George,

I am a fan of the R5, but your experience is a great example of why it's important to test drive bikes before actually pulling the trigger.  Also, I'm a fan of Sram Red but also like DuraAce and Di2.  I'm sure I'd like Campy if it was on the right bike.  My Red shifters and DR's have been great for almost 2 years.  No problems, fast, accurate shifting.  I like the mechanical feel of Red. 

Di2 is pretty cool and finally affordable, the new Ultegra electronic shifting system.  I've tried it and love the way it functions.  Kind of clunky looking but that's no big deal. 

Good luck!

J

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #115 on: 11 Aug 2012, 02:48 am »
Guys,

Took the Roubaix out for the same ride as yesterday and you probably aren't surprised to hear that I wouldn't confuse the two bikes.   :lol:

While I felt that the R5 was too stiff, twitchy, and harsh, the Roubaix is the exact opposite! 

It soaked up all the bumps and vibrations and made me feel like I was floating, I mean riding, down the road.  While it wasn't a total disconnect form the road, you were definitely sheltered from it.  While it was silky smooth and easy to pedal, I did feel like it wasn't responsive enough.  A great cruiser...absolutely!  But maybe a little too laid back and lacking that jump factor.

I am starting to feel like Goldilocks...the Roubaix is too soft and the R5 is too hard...while the Parlee is in the middle with a slant to the performance side of things. 

However, I didn't buy the Z5 because I decided that I really want electronic shifting.  While I could add it to the demo Z5, I wouldn't be able to run the cabling internally and there would be challenges around the battery placement and the water bottle cage.  To really do it right, I need to go with the Z5Sli frame.  Unfortunately, Parlee isn't slashing prices on this frame and the added cost of the frame + the added cost of the Ultegra group with electronic shifting means about $3k more.    My LBS is checking to see if he can find a demo Z5Sli frame which could slash the price and make it more attractive. 

In addition to Parlee, that bike shop also carries Giant and I might now look at a Defy Advanced 0.  It would give me the Ultegra Di2 and I am looking for and might provide a spirited, yet still very comfy ride.

When talking to the guys at Landry's Bike Shop (where I have tested the R5 and Roubaix), they strongly recommended that I try the Trek Madone 5.9 or 6.2.  They said it would be between the R5 and Roubaix in most aspects.  They also said that if I liked the Madone but felt that it was a little too stiff, twitchy, or harsh, that they would order a Domane in for me to try.  Given the Parlee situation, I am inclined to take them up on the offer.

So after the last week I have eliminated the R5, pretty much eliminated to the Roubaix, and I am left with Parlee, Giant, and Trek.

While I would love to have my new bike now, I think some more auditions as well as seeing about a Parlee demo are the right course of action.

As always, I welcome your thoughts.         

George

tvad4

« Reply #116 on: 11 Aug 2012, 03:48 am »
The BMC Team Machine rides more comfortably than the Cervelo R3, but still has exceptional handling. It's ride is somewhere between the Parlee Z5 and Cervelo R3 on the comfort-handling continuum (closer to the Parlee than the Cervelo).

In the next two or three months, Competitive Cyclist will start blowing out the 2012 models...often at discounts of 40%.

jackman

« Reply #117 on: 11 Aug 2012, 04:32 pm »
Hi George,

I'm afraid the perfect bike for you doesn't exist. Was the Roubaix an S-Works?  I tested that bike and agree with you regarding the comfort but disagree regarding handling. I was surprised at how well the comfortable Roubaux (S-Works) habdled snd how well it transferred power. 

Fabian Cancellara played a big role in the design of the Domane and he chose it over the new Madone in the Tdf even though the new Madone is supposed to be relatively comfortable.  It is an interesting design that combines. I fort and performance, better than previous bikes.

What are your intentions?  Do you plan to ride centuries, race, tour or join a group? If you are not planning to race competitively, you might want to focus on comfort and fit.  A race bike that handles well and feels good on a 45 minute test drive in a parking lot might be torture on a century ride.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #118 on: 11 Aug 2012, 04:46 pm »
Hi George,

I'm afraid the perfect bike for you doesn't exist. Was the Roubaix an S-Works?  I tested that bike and agree with you regarding the comfort but disagree regarding handling. I was surprised at how well the comfortable Roubaux (S-Works) habdled snd how well it transferred power. 

Fabian Cancellara played a big role in the design of the Domane and he chose it over the new Madone in the Tdf even though the new Madone is supposed to be relatively comfortable.  It is an interesting design that combines. I fort and performance, better than previous bikes.

What are your intentions?  Do you plan to ride centuries, race, tour or join a group? If you are not planning to race competitively, you might want to focus on comfort and fit.  A race bike that handles well and feels good on a 45 minute test drive in a parking lot might be torture on a century ride.

It wasn't an S-works or higher end model, it was a ROUBAIX SL3 PRO UI2 COMPACT that lists for $5500 (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/roubaix/roubaixsl3proui2compact).

The price difference of moving up to the S-works version is very substantial ($8-11k depending on setup), so I am not surprised that it handles better and is more responsive.

My intentions are multi-purpose:  ride for fitness now with plans to enter into triathlon races next year.  As part of training for that, I will want to be able to ride my bike for longer rides (3-4 hours), as well as continue to increase my weekly mileage and average speed. 

I have also set a goal of completing a century ride by the end of next summer, but right now it is unclear how often I would want to do that.  At some point I will also start riding with some groups in addition to continuing to ride with my neighbor who competes in Iron Man events.

I am confident that I will find the "perfect" bike for me.  In fact, I may have already done that with the Parlee Z5.  If the Z5 frame could have run the Ultegra Di2 internally, I probably would have bought it yesterday!

Instead, I will take more time and try the Trek bikes.

George

tvad4

« Reply #119 on: 11 Aug 2012, 06:31 pm »
Calfee offers Di2 Internal Retrofit for non Calfee frames, as well as a Di2 battery retrofit that places the battery in a seatpost.

Here's Calfee's Menu of Pricing.

I may consider this down the road for my non-internal Z5sl.

EDIT: Calfee is developing a Campy EPS frame modification that should be available in Q4.

« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2012, 12:04 am by tvad4 »