Nikon D300s for sale, $540

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Nikon D300s for sale, $540
« on: 23 Jun 2012, 02:07 am »
OK, now that I have your attention, get a load of this...........

I travel for work a lot and frequently see what's for sale on CL all over the country.  I noticed a Nikon D300s for sale at an unusually low price, and then saw the same ad in several other cities, obviously a scam.

I flagged the ad and posted a CL warning and thought little of it.   Today I got an email from a scammer asking me to take down the (warning) ad, because the idiot wanted to buy it!!!   :duh: :duh: :duh: :stupid: :spammer:

Thought about posting it in Humor and Jokes..........

gooberdude

Re: Nikon D300s for sale, $540
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2012, 02:17 am »
You are one of the good guys. 

My business has had 2 significant CL ad issues the last few years in which scammers copy the photos from my website then offer our properties up for rent.  Hate to admit it but people have actually mailed in security deposit & rent checks to the scammers, and of course lose it all.

I'm moving to a digimarc.com system soon.  This way, I get an email not when people lift the photos, but when they post them somewhere on the net so I can do exactly what you did to protect others.

And thanks again for your help with my photos.  I'm not any better, but getting there.  The sun is so damn strong in StL this year.

I just bought a store demo D3000 for $450.  Really wish people could sniff out a scam easier. If its too good to be true, welll...you know!

matt

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2012, 03:31 am »
Yeah, some years ago a moron in KC posted a Praktica on CL as "made by Leica."  When several courteous emails failed to correct his ad I tore him a new one in a warning ad, and he pretended to file a complaint with the FBI.  Ohhhh I wish he had!  My brother-in-law was an FBI agent and my sister was a high level admin type at FBI HQ for three decades.   I was sooooooooo spoiling for THAT fight!

And don't even get me started on "white van speakers" that "list" for more than Krell.

BTW, GD, how can you be "getting there" if you aren't any better?   :lol:  Send me some more samples and I'll critique them for you.  For a pair of nice 1.5 meter ICs I may even drop by and coach you on a shoot.    :thumb:

jvc

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2012, 03:53 pm »
CL has become a haven for for scammers. I wrote CL an email about it, and sent email to FBI. Neither one seems to care. In fact, I was banned from CL for awhile, for warning people about all the white van scams there. Scammers would post white van speakers for sale. I'd post a warning for everyone. Scammers and friends would flag me and get mine deleted. I'd post it again. They'd flag again, I'd post it again............... This finally got me banned for awhile. I posted in CL's question area, asking why? The answer was: "we don't need your help!" I would think they'd be thankful for all the help that they could get, with as much scamming as there is. It seems like they support the scamming. They need to make me a mod there, with powers to delete and ban. I'd stop most of the scamming.

gooberdude

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2012, 11:46 pm »
Brick, 10 minutes of instruction from you would probably cure all my issues.  The only spare IC's i have are mismatched, blue jeans cabling but 1 length is 1M, the other is 1.5M.  no clue how that happened, an old DIY project gone awry i guess.   Then again, I do have a decent set of Audioquest IC's with the battery pack that sit unused.  Pretty sure they are only 1M in length though.

If we can set up another trade for services i'm all about it.  You know photography, pretty obvious I don't    :lol:

It is sad that the authorities let CL scams, and so many others, just occur daily.  I think our culture has gone nuts the last few yrs with the poor economy and with so much going on the authorities are hunkering down for a long hard slog.  They also have budget constraints, staff issues, etc, etc

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2012, 07:21 am »
No such thing as 10 minutes to cure any issues!!  Seriously, you have to get inside the camera's "head" to understand how it thinks.  Only then you can begin to bend it to your will.

And that takes a consulting fee of, oh, let's say, lunch at Panera.  Sound fair?   :thumb:

persisting1

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2012, 09:00 am »
A few years back a friend of mine told me she sold her camera on craigslist. I then asked her how much she got for it and she told me the price, but was waiting for the check to arrive. I then pleaded with her to to tell me she didn't already mail the camera. She responded with "of course I did", with a straight look on her face. She was so broken when I explained to her that she'd never see her money. Of course nothing ever arrived in the mail. She still blames craigslist  :duh:

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2012, 09:16 am »
Never ever ever ever send goods before payment. I sold an item on Ebay once, turned out to be an author of a very well-known book on electronics. How about that. I suggested that instead of the payment he could send a copy of the book. He agreed, so I cheerfully posted the item. Never ever got the book. I couldn't believe it.