BDA-1: can I use both outputs RCA & XLR at same time to different sources ?

zeiter

Is there an issue if I was to use the BDA-1 outputs at the same time ( balanced and unbalanced ) to connect to  two different sources ? One would be going to my BP6 pre amp , and the other to a headphone amp ( tape monitor on BP6 is already taken ). Thanks

Phil A

No issue - I do that - the balanced for the main system and the RCAs go to the other side of the wall in the bedroom system

zeiter

Perfect, thanks

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
No issue - I do that - the balanced for the main system and the RCAs go to the other side of the wall in the bedroom system

...same here :D
this way i can listen to music from the BDP-1 which is in turn controlled by my iphone even if the doors are closed :thumb:

al.

zeiter

How about a similar situation, but a little bit more complex. Can I use the BCD-1 digital out to a DAC, and still use the XLR or RCA to let's say a headphone amp ? I know using the digital out, will turn the unit into a CD transport, but not sure if it's safe or even if it will still send analog signal through it's analog outputs ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

...same here :D
this way i can listen to music from the BDP-1 which is in turn controlled by my iphone even if the doors are closed :thumb:

al.

No problem.

james

zeiter

No problem.

james

James, is it OK for my  second question for the BCD-1? In your reply, you're quoting the BDA-1 question .  Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
How about a similar situation, but a little bit more complex. Can I use the BCD-1 digital out to a DAC, and still use the XLR or RCA to let's say a headphone amp ? I know using the digital out, will turn the unit into a CD transport, but not sure if it's safe or even if it will still send analog signal through it's analog outputs ?

Hi,

Yes it will still send the analog outputs a signal.

james

BrysTony

I am currently using the balanced outputs on the BDA-1 in my main system; however, based on this thread I decided that I could use the single-ended outputs for a secondary integrated amp.  After hooking it up only one channel had sound.  After much trouble shooting I found that both single ended outputs worked only if I disconnected the balanced cables.  This is counter to the answers to this thread.  Do I have a problem with the BDA-1 or is it working as designed?

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
I am currently using the balanced outputs on the BDA-1 in my main system; however, based on this thread I decided that I could use the single-ended outputs for a secondary integrated amp.  After hooking it up only one channel had sound.  After much trouble shooting I found that both single ended outputs worked only if I disconnected the balanced cables.  This is counter to the answers to this thread.  Do I have a problem with the BDA-1 or is it working as designed?

Tony

Hi Tony

Please email Mike at Bryston and we will check it out.  mpickett@bryston.com

SHV

"After much trouble shooting I found that both single ended outputs worked only if I disconnected the balanced cables."
It should work...before I got the SP3, I  did two "zones" with BDP/BDA unbalanced to SP1.7 and balanced to Parasound pre-amp; worked without problems.

Steve

BrysTony

Hi Tony

Please email Mike at Bryston and we will check it out.  mpickett@bryston.com

Thanks, James.  I have emailed Mike.

Tony

BrysTony

Mike Pickett sent a very prompt response to me saying that it should drive both the balanced and single-ended outputs with no problem.  He suggested that it was likely that one of the balanced cables cables had pin 2 shorted to ground and that I should swap the right and left balanced cables to see if the problem moved.  It did so I installed another set of balanced cables that I had on hand and all works perfectly.

This is another example of Bryston's unequalled support to its customers.  Kudos to Mike and James!  :thumb: :thumb:

Tony