Khartago amps vs. Receiver amps

Reese

« on: 28 May 2004, 02:36 pm »
Hello all,

My system right now is an HT system that also serves my 2-channel needs.  I have an H/K AVR-630 (75Wx7, 90Wx2), but I'd like to bump up the power in the front two channels by adding something like a Khartago.  Assuming the 630 really is capable of putting out 90Wx2, is the jump to 110W going to be a noticeable difference, or should I shoot for more power?  Thanks for any comments!

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2004, 04:06 pm »
Some customers have matched Khartago vs Rotel 1090 and the second Rotel's biggest receiver, to harmans AVR-520 and AVR-525 (85W x2 as far as I remember) and still they got a better sound more controlled, open and all related benefits.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2004, 05:18 pm »
Using wattage is not a good way to compare or generalize the audio reproduction characteristics of an amp.  It'd be like using horsepower to compare the overall quality of a car.  

e.g. Will the 140HP Miata be a real improvement over a VW Jetta w/ 110HP?

Reese

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2004, 06:36 pm »
Eduardo,
Thanks!

Carlman (and anyone else),
So then, should I be asking whether the Khartago would yield a noticeable sonic improvement over the amps in the H/K?  Any opinion on that?  :)  H/K amps have a pretty decent reputation (in the HT realm, anyway), but I also realize the Odyssey should be on a different level.  What differences should I expect?

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2004, 07:52 pm »
Quote from: Reese
Eduardo,
Thanks!

Carlman (and anyone else),
So then, should I be asking whether the Khartago would yield a noticeable sonic improvement over the amps in the H/K?  Any opinion on that?  :)  H/K amps have a pretty decent reputation (in the HT realm, anyway), but I also realize the Odyssey should be on a different level.  What differences should I expect?

My opinion of HK and Odyssey are somewhat limited by lack of comparison.  Also, I've owned some HK gear and have not owned Odyssey.  My opinion of HK is not good... especially from about the mid 90's.  Post-1996 HK pre/pro's sound different depending on model.. some warm, some a bit laid back.  Odyssey equipment sounds neutral to the point of almost sounding sterile to me.  It delivers VERY clean and with authority.  However, I like something in between the 2.  I have a tube pre and solid state amp to try to get the best of both worlds.

I have not heard the Khartago at all.  However, I would think it would sound different than the HK.  However, since you'll be using the HK's preamp section, the sound should still be reproduced with the same  character.  The main speakers will simply get more clean power.

The net effect I think might be positive and leaving you wanting to make more improvements.  Especially if the HK is warm and the Odyssey is a little cool.. it'll make things tepid. ;)

The only way you'll know is to try.

pugs

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2004, 08:07 pm »
I think it would make a decent difference, but as Carlman said, you're going to want to ugrade other things after that.  To get a greater benefit, you should probably invest in the Estesian ($300) or Tempest ($1000) with AV bypass.  That way your two channel will be much better, and your HT will be marginally better.  Do that first unless you're not satisfied with your speakers.  If you don't have good speakers, getting a new amp and preamp won't help as much.  

I haven't heard the Kartago, but I have the Stratos Monos and Tempest with AV Bypass.

Beware of not doing it right the first time.  If you try to do it on the cheap side, you may not totally be happy with the outcome.  You'll go through a lot of hassel with unsatisfactory results.