Did someone mention old tube gear?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Did someone mention old tube gear?
« on: 21 Jun 2012, 12:39 am »
RodH from thecarversite was good enough to bring this Sherwood S2100-II to my attention so it's somewhere between Canada and Pennsylvania as of this writing.
Christmas in (almost) July for funboy, here!

Once it shows I have to order the correct service manual and then run it up to Harrisburg Radio Labs (Harrisburg, PA) for a check up and an alignment.
I'm really happy to find this tuner, these old Sherwoods are just tremendous.
Thanks for RodH for getting me into tube tuners in the first place and for finding this one for me and thanks to Doug s. for turning me onto the Sherwoods in particular.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2012, 09:10 pm by SteveFord »

TONEPUB

Re: Did someone mention old tube gear?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2012, 02:40 am »
nice find!

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:18 am »
Cool Steve - really cool :thumb:

My life's obsession with audio gear kicked off with a Voice of Music 1484-2 receiver (I was just a kid), which made quite a big deal about the fact that it was solid state (I took possession of it with a bad output transistor - so much for improved reliability). I bought it (rather cheaply) from our next door neighbor who also had an older Voice of Music tuner, tubed of course, of which those photos remind me.

How about some old, but new tubes from the 1940s? Here are a couple sets of front end tubes I bought recently. Let the stock-piling begin! :lol:

« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2012, 04:32 am by kevin360 »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2012, 12:09 am »
It's just astonishing that something THAT OLD can not only work but sound THAT GOOD, isn't it? 
I really think that we got suckered with the Japanese marketing machine back in the 60s and I wish the US and European nations (other than Russia) would go back to making tubes again.
MediumJim was saying it's the EPA regulations which will keep that from happening.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2012, 01:48 am »
It's not all that astonishing. After all, the working bits are all sealed away in a vacuum - no corrosive atmosphere aging the materials. I have first hand experience with military parts stocking - lots of stock was never used. There is, however, a finite supply, so I'm building up a stock. Brent Jessee has been a pleasure to deal with - I trust him. I'm really satisfied (friggin' stunned) by the VT-231s he sold me.

I guess I'm becoming more and more of a tubehead. My son and I just finished boxing the X350. I'm going to sell it now - I'm sold on the VAC. It took me a lot of years to reach the land of valves, but I'm here to stay. Do not, however, read that as an indictment of solid state. I still think that Pass amp is superb. I hate to sell it, but it's stupid to have it sitting idly on a counter. It has a lot of pleasure to give the next lucky owner.

It was funny, looking back, that the very first piece of actual kit that I owned was early solid state and broken when I got it - due to a mishap with one of the cheesy speaker connectors. There were but 4 output transistors, so I replaced them all with new ones I bought at Radio Shack. It was a cheap and easy fix, and I suppose I was lucky that none of the surrounding circuitry was damaged. How in the hell is the EPA allowing the manufacture of compact fluorescent light bulbs? Besides, responsible manufacturing methods can address the environmental impact of production as long as the cost doesn't become prohibitive. If I'm willing to pay what I have for some 70+ year old tubes, I'd be amenable to paying the same amount for brand new ones built to the same specifications. I suspect there's a decent enough market support such a venture.

medium jim

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:55 am »
The EPA is there to protect the environment, but I still don't like it.  As I was telling SteveFord, a friend of mine is Aspen Pittman, founder of GrooveTubes and he owns the original tooling from GE to make large bottle 6L6's. 

He made a couple runs of them (sound great) before the EPA shut him down.  He would have to spend large to make them legally and with the blessings from the EPA. It made it cost prohibitive.

Jim

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2012, 12:41 am »
It's freshly back from the shop and I gave this tuner to my wife (Happy Lynda Day) and put it into her system (MMGs, SVS sub, modified Carver C1 preamp, cheapie Oppo, Art di/o dac, HK Citation 22 amp) and fired the old thing up.
The audio output was disappointingly low; even fully cranked I couldn't get the amp anywhere close to lighting the red LEDs.
On the back of the tuner is an FM output level adjustment so I cranked it all the way up and no cigar.  I tried all of the different inputs with the same results and then I had a miniscule brainstorm: I turned the tuner output all the way down, hooked it up to the Moving Coil phono input and success!
I was able to match the output to the Oppo so she wouldn't accidentally blow up the stereo flipping inbetween the various sources.
How does it sound?  Not bad at all. 
For a system put together on a tight budget I'd call it a resounding success.