Golden age of Audio - Past???

JohnR

Re: Golden age of Audio - Past???
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2012, 12:41 pm »
The term "Golden Age" is not often applied to the present. It just doesn't work that way. However, I would agree that "the best time to be an audiophile" is now. After all, we can enjoy what we have now, and still have room to set up a system using components from the 50s or 60s that we can enjoy for what it is! What could be better?

JfTM

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2012, 12:59 pm »
I think high end audio gear now is better than it ever has been.  Companies like Bryston continually improve their products; a 4BSST2 sounds better than an original 4B.

But, there was a significant mid-fi market in the 70's/80's that IMO was significantly larger and better than the mid-fi market of today.  Yes there are good products in mid-fi today, better than the 70's/80's, but not nearly as many.

In the 70's/80's Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, Advent, Avid, Boston Acoustics, Allison, PSB, etc. made up part of that market.  And while most are still in the game, I don't think their mid-fi mid-priced offerings are relatively as good as they were.

sfraser

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:08 pm »
I certainly think that some of the equipment available today is the best ever. I believe the same is true for some of the content (recording format anyway). As a previous poster mentioned the mid range equipment has seemed to have dropped out, or at least has not  kept pace with the "high end" equipment. I believe the rise in  low bit rate mp3 popularity might have something to do with that  ? thoughts?

werd

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2012, 03:45 pm »
The Golden age has past. Its interesting but anybody over 40 (maybe 35 idk) was able to witness/hear an age of music playback that wasn't overwhelmed with gating, opamps and all else digital. I am not talking just audio or recording gear either. I am talking about everything, all appliances and gadgets. All this new age stuff just gets sinked back into our ac and pollutes our playback. Its unavoidable.

I remember stuff being more holistic sounding and analogue. The gear now is better engineered in getting 20 - 20khz but back then there was no digital glare on it compared to today. The sad thing is anyone under the age of 30 (for sure) doesn't know or will never know what i am talking about. I am going to use the age 40 but anyone after that i would consider the last of the mohicans in the Golden age of Audio. The age where people witnessed/heard unpolluted by gating digital playback.

SoundGame

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2012, 04:31 pm »
While I totally agree that the technology and the products that are available today overall surpass anything that has past been produced - whether speaker, amplifier, cable or source device, I'm not sure we can truly call it the Golden Age of Audio, given that my impressions are that people in todays world just don't seem to have the same time for enjoying audio - or at least don't spend that time.

In past years, the family stereo was a centre for entertainment, in today's world iPads and laptops seem to dominate. We don't have as many families gathering together to listen to music on home stereo systems, let alone to watch a movie together. Todays family has become fragmented and individualized. Entertainment caters to the individual rather than being a means to share as a family.

It's the golden age of audio technology - arguably yes but the golden age of audio in general - I'm not so sure.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2012, 04:41 pm »
While I totally agree that the technology and the products that are available today overall surpass anything that has past been produced - whether speaker, amplifier, cable or source device, I'm not sure we can truly call it the Golden Age of Audio, given that my impressions are that people in todays world just don't seem to have the same time for enjoying audio - or at least don't spend that time.

In past years, the family stereo was a centre for entertainment, in today's world iPads and laptops seem to dominate. We don't have as many families gathering together to listen to music on home stereo systems, let alone to watch a movie together. Todays family has become fragmented and individualized. Entertainment caters to the individual rather than being a means to share as a family.

It's the golden age of audio technology - arguably yes but the golden age of audio in general - I'm not so sure.

If you listen to older recordings in mono there is way more feeling and musical appreciation with the artist. They wrote better music imo back then. The stuff now is suffering from all this technology. Back then micing and music recording was more of a hands on profession due to lack of technology.

From my pov the golden age has past.

sfraser

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2012, 05:15 pm »
If you listen to older recordings in mono there is way more feeling and musical appreciation with the artist. They wrote better music imo back then. The stuff now is suffering from all this technology. Back then micing and music recording was more of a hands on profession due to lack of technology.

From my pov the golden age has past.
i have often noticed that my favorite album from a favorite band is often the 1st album they release. I attribute this to the 1st album often being a indie album, and the band paying for the studio time out  of there own pocket. the music tends to be less produced or "rawer" sounding and closer to the truth. Later albums ( with record contract in hand) tend to be overproduced and much more distant sounding.

*Scotty*

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2012, 07:33 pm »
I am not sure about the Golden Age of Audio being past but a case can be made that the golden age semi-conductor production occurred over thirty-five years age before the wide spread use of plastic encapsulation. 
 At one point in time Motarola made 100% copper encased TO-3s, then they switched to aluminum with a copper pad and finally to steel with an aluminum pad. :( Small signal transistors were glass/metal encapsulated cans and always sounded superior to their plastic counterparts. Eventually plastic replaced almost all glass/metal construction. Basically any circuit you design starts off with one strike against it due to the plastic encapsulated semi-conductors you have to use. This doesn't mean that you can't achieve stellar results from your circuit design, but it will never be as good as it could be. That ship has sailed and we now live in a lesser age ruled by cheaper men.
Scotty

BobRex

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2012, 07:44 pm »
Basically any circuit you design starts off with one strike against it due to the plastic encapsulated semi-conductors you have to use. Scotty

So, ummm, use tubes????  :lol: Sorry, just had to do that.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2012, 08:48 pm »
I am not sure about the Golden Age of Audio being past but a case can be made that the golden age semi-conductor production occurred over thirty-five years age before the wide spread use of plastic encapsulation. 
 At one point in time Motarola made 100% copper encased TO-3s, then they switched to aluminum with a copper pad and finally to steel with an aluminum pad. :( Small signal transistors were glass/metal encapsulated cans and always sounded superior to their plastic counterparts. Eventually plastic replaced almost all glass/metal construction. Basically any circuit you design starts off with one strike against it due to the plastic encapsulated semi-conductors you have to use. This doesn't mean that you can't achieve stellar results from your circuit design, but it will never be as good as it could be. That ship has sailed and we now live in a lesser age ruled by cheaper men.
Scotty
Well, maybe.  Today’s resistors and caps surely sound better than yesterday’s.  In the case of this Threshold 400A, left all the original driver transistors original, changed out all the resistors, caps, and output devices, and the results are excellent indeed.

BTW, have you listened to one of the Static Induction Transistors (SIT)’s yet?  They are supposed to sound quite stellar.  Nelson Pass is making some amps with them now.

*Scotty*

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2012, 10:00 pm »
Well, Nelson has them and we don't. It would be nice to see complete specs on the devices when and if they become available to the general public. If I may ask, what necessitated the output transistor replacement in the Threshold?
 There are a few better sounding resistor choices nowadays, the biggest improvement however, has come in the field of electrolytic capacitor chemistry. The solid polymer aluminum electrolytic capacitors are fantastically transparent sounding where they are applicable. At this time there are no high voltage caps, 25 volts is the maximum that I have seen. The problem is that their leakage current is very high and climbs steeply with the applied voltage, unlike the Blackgate caps which have very low leakage current and have a much wider range of applications.
Scotty

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2012, 10:18 pm »
The reason I changed the output transistors was on recommendation of Jon Soderberg (of Vintage Amp Repair).  The original devices were noted for being a bit dodgy, and after many years of class A heat, it made sense to replace them with later models used in Threshold’s S series.  The amp should go another 30 years with all the new parts.   8)

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2012, 08:57 am »
Audio appears to have taken a back seat compared to other forms of entertainment.

But audio will never die, thanks to people like us, and companies like Bryston.   8)  :D

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2012, 11:56 am »
I took part in that original discussion, and I was one of those who wrote "the Golden Age of Audio" is right now.

The reasons are many, but one which stands out above all others is the internet. Not for downloading or whatever, rather, back in anytime before the internet, one had ONLY the local dealer for equipment. And used? Hah! if your local dealer did not have it, you did not ever get it.

Now, ANYTHING ever made can be had, from anywhere in the World, via the internet.
Also information. Used to be one only had what a few magazines told you. Audio, Stereo Review, High Fidelity, Grammaphone, and later on The Absolute Sound, Stereophile.
If it was not in one of those, you never heard about it, unless your local dealer carried it, and then you had to take the dealers word it was the best or whatever.
The magazines had a make or break lock on equipment. A bad review could destroy a company, or, make it a great success.
No anymore.  Now, with dozens of ways to read up on any bit of equipment, that stranglehold is gone.
Buying music? Never better than now. Internet anything is available.
Used to be only big cities had stores with huge selections..
I can buy an item direct from England, Germany.. Japan. no problem. Not in the past. Only a few items were imported, and they were very expensive.

So no question, hands down, right NOW is the best time ever for audiophiles.
So for these reasons, besides the better equipment than ever before, NOW is the Golden Age.

Folks who dwell over golden memories of past ages are more fantasizing about their youth, than the actual times.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2012, 02:36 pm »
My input on this is we are living in "Potentially" the best of times.  This is the first time in history that we as consumers can connect to a studios master tape and download a first generation copy of a music file. :thumb: 

Assuming the master is done with care and passion for the art form it could become a Golden Age for Audio! :scratch:

james

1oldguy

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2012, 04:09 pm »
My input on this is we are living in "Potentially" the best of times.  This is the first time in history that we as consumers can connect to a studios master tape and download a first generation copy of a music file. :thumb: 

Assuming the master is done with care and passion for the art form it could become a Golden Age for Audio! :scratch:

James

I agree.
The only difference is the music itself.The direction of the artists are the only weak link in the chain.But that of course is my personal opinion,and does not negate the quality of gear is spectacular at this injunction in time.

ec

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2012, 03:10 am »
It really depends on how you define "Golden age".   For example, the Golden age of Cinema may have a totally different parallel context when compared to the Golden Age of Audio. If you break it down, the Golden Age of Audio has passed.  My reasoning:

1. for the most part, the playback equipment is better
1a. the knowledge is better known (acoustics, sound treatments etc)
1b. for the above two points, you would think that decent properly setup equipment would be more widespread but it is not.
2. the recording equipment is better however the recording technique is not (compression, autotune).  It's like  "we will give you a better performing car but an inferior driver".  I was amazed at how music was "mixed" when recorded when watching "Standing in the shadows of Motown".  And as someone mentioned previously, the quality of the music as a whole is arguable worse than in decades past
3. less bricks and motar stores specializing in mid fi to high end.
3a. don't know if this is fact, ..... but I would say there are less speciality audio (high end) companies out there to say the 80's (when I got into audio)
3b. I feel there are far less (number of) passionate hardcore "audiophiles"

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2012, 03:22 am »
""far less passionate hardcore audiophiles""
Part of this is folks dropping out of sight due to not wanting to keep riding the spending greater and greater amounts of money to just tread water..
Back in the 1960s' As A teen, I could have a stereo which was right up there with some pretty good stuff. No problem.
By the 70s still not too hard to do for anyone.
Suddenly in the mid 1980s a big shift in the Audiophile community.
Like Infinity IRS went from $20,000 to $70,000 in just a few years.. Nearly all audio stuff prices just doubled nearly overnight, and the current High end concept was born.
Prices have just skyrocketed ever since.
So naturally plenty of folks would just drop out of the hobby. Perhaps still listen to music, but new equipment? no way.

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2012, 04:05 am »
Golden age past?

Given the new technologies available now and on the horizon I would more aptly call these the dark ages.