Poll

Will you be seeing "The Day After Tomorrow" in theaters?

Yup
8 (66.7%)
Nope
1 (8.3%)
I would if it was free
2 (16.7%)
Not even if it was free
0 (0%)
You'd have to pay me to watch it
1 (8.3%)
You couldn't pay me to watch it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: 28 May 2004, 02:37 am

Anyone planning to see "The Day After Tomorrow"?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 27 May 2004, 07:28 pm »
I have to admit, I'm a sucker for any flick w/a CGI disaster sweeping over & destroying well know lanmarks (eg, water over the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty tipped over, giant spaceship totalling the White House, etc).  The science of the movie looks like it'll rival "The Core" for flat-out absurdity, but it looks like splendidly fun cheese.

Maybe this one will drag you back to the mulitplex for a free screening, Brian?  :wink:

Smeggy

« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2004, 07:47 pm »
I got the classic 'eye :roll:  roll' from the wife when I jumped with glee seeing the trailers :) I'm also a huge sucker for dumb-ass chesy CG fliks. Looks like a fun movie to me, just make sure you hang your brain up before you go in. ;)

Eric

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2004, 08:14 pm »
Yes,

Literally I am planning on seeing it the day after tomorrow

Eric

dogberry

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2004, 08:18 pm »
I wouldn't go for free.

Smeggy

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2004, 08:20 pm »
Party pooper  :wink:  :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2004, 08:31 pm »
I see that it opens here in town "the day after tomorrow" at 11:00 am.  Maybe I'll take in a matinee.  Otherwise I really hate watching stuff on opening weekend- crowds really annoy me.  Plus, there's only about 15 seats I'm willing to sit in.  For the price of a new movie, I'm gonna sit in the sweet spot!  :lol:

Bemopti123

Retro is cool but not in the disaster movie category
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2004, 11:46 pm »
Do not want to poop no one's party, but these disaster flicks, might be another of these popular revivals that come along with everything retro.  Other example of retro cool things that began a little while back are small convertibles, such as the first Miata.  Furthermore, the wave of clothing and other cool retro coordinated items such as sneakers and jumping suits, but please, spare me the cheesiness of those late 70s movies that had to do with everything disaster....Burning towers, falling planes, exploding volcanoes, now, all of the sudden frozen NYCities.  Major cheese without the taste.  The director of the flick, wasn't he the dude who did INDEPENDENCE DAY?  One of the worst movies of all time, not really ingenious especially with the sequence of the Macintosh laptop induced virus.  Want to have some real excitement or disaster feel?  Check the headlines of the international section everyday, especially with the search word, IRAQ.....what about the real plight of the genocide of the christian or animistic minority brutalized by the fundamentalist Sudanese government that no one pays attention to.  Sorry to be a party pooper.  

from NYC

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2004, 02:30 am »
Hmmm...I couldn't tell from your rambling, Bemopti123- are you gonna [/i]see the movie or not?  :wink:

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2004, 02:40 am »
Rob, hope you don't mind the poll. If you do mind, I'll pull it off. But it seemed appropriate for this thread...

Don't know if I'm going to catch it in the theaters. I like a lot of large disaster flicks. But I didn't care for The Core.

Will I be seing it at all? Sure. Just not sure if I feel like sitting through a craptastic presentation in the theaters.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2004, 05:47 am »
I'd have probably added a poll myself if I wasn't such a lazy bastard!  :lol:

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2004, 09:08 am »
Ok, so I ended up seeing it tonight.

I 'spose it was worth what I paid (nothing).

It wasn't a steaming heap. It certainly wasn't great though.

Some of the disaster scenes were fun to watch. But there wasn't enough of them.

Too many times it was trying to be serious & dramatic. When all it was was silly & predictable.

It was certainly not as out there as The Core was. At least it had a bit more realistic plot line & physics. But it had it's share of "dramatic physics" (I do like that phrase, will have to use it more often). You know, stuff that can't really happen, but does to attempt to insert drama into the story.

Overall I can't say that I'm sorry I watched it. But I'm really in no hurry to see it again. And I think I'd have to be able to pick it up for $5 new before I'd buy it. It's kinda one of those movie where it's like "ok, saw it. but I don't care if I see it again or not."

And I guess now I need to vote on the "I'll see it if it's free" option... :roll: