Maggie Dealer in STL--Hey SteveK

bmed

« on: 27 May 2004, 04:19 pm »
Hey guys,

Looking on the Magnepan site, they don't list any STL dealers.  There's one in Champaign, IL (Glenn Poor's) on the other side of me.  Just checking.

Hey SteveK,

I heard some 3.5's this past weekend with big Levinson's pushing--WOW.  Thinking about some 1.6's.  I thought I would try to sneek them into the living room without the wife noticing!  I may be forced to sell the Abby's to get them, she doesn't think I have room for 3 sets of speakers.  :nono:  

I know you've got some crossover mods etc on yours.  Did you perform those yourself?  I've read a little about them--how difficult?

Brad

steve k

« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2004, 08:55 pm »
Hi Brad,
As far as I know, Thom Palazzola still carries the Magnepan line in St. Louis. He moved his inventory out of his old place (Flip's Stereo) over to Alpha Tech Electronics where he has a room over there. If you call Alpha Tech at 314-645-5250, Zaw can get you in touch with Thom.

As far as mine go, I have the MG-12's and I found the crossover mods to be very easy to install and they do make a big difference in the sound. The 1.6 mod parts are larger and probably will require mounting the components in boxes that sit behind the speakers. Again, they are fairly simple to install. There are several threads on crossover mods on the AudioAsylum/Planar/ Articles and Tweaks sites.

Warning! Once you're hooked by the maggie sound, there's no going back! :wink:

steve

bmed

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2004, 10:49 pm »
Thanks for the info Steve.

I've been reading on AA about some mods, has me kind of scared, I don't want to blow a panel.  Now on to a new fire-breathing amp to wrangle them with--Oh the choices :P .

Brad

Mike D

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2004, 05:26 pm »
Brad

What speakers do you have at home?

bmed

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2004, 03:06 am »
Mike,

I've got Cain & Cain Abby's (nearfield).

Brad