Nirvana + review

Nels

Nirvana + review
« on: 27 May 2004, 03:54 am »
I recently installed the Nirvana + upgrade into my Aksa 55.  I have built my entire system including an upgraded Foreplay preamp and IPL speakers.  The "wow, I never heard THAT before" mods are fewer and far between as my system develops but this tweak provides for one of those moments. You will rediscover your music collection all over again...

After a slight delay waiting for some silver Mica caps I went to work replacing components.  I was a little concerned about carving up and drilling the circuit board but all turned out well in the end.  This is a very worthwhile mod.   Much more improvement than with the initial Nirvana upgrade IMO.
Very nice detail and powerful lows.  Everything is cleaned up and brought even more into focus.  Yadda Yadda, it all just gets better.
Highly recommend this tweak and I want to thank Hugh for enabling me to afford this Hi level of Fidility at a reasonable cost.
Thanks Hugh!

Nels Sorenson
Beverly, WA

AKSA

• http://www.aksaonline.com
Nirvana + review
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2004, 09:14 am »
Hi Nels,

Thanks for the kind words;  appreciate the honesty and objectivity.

I worked pretty hard on this Plus upgrade, did a lot of listening, and tried a lot of things.  Even destroyed a set of boards with all the soldering!  I followed up each and every lead given me so graciously by enthusiastic AKSAphiles - big thanks guys  :kiss:   Eventually I settled on what I, and several other sets of ears, considered the most cost-effective, transparent solution which would please almost every AKSAphile across the spectrum.

Naturally I was very apprehensive about how it would be received.  It's not easy knowing exactly when to stop.  I've had three followups on the N+ to date, and I expect more, and if you want to make it public, this would be the best thread to launch comment.  In time I'll add testimonials to the website (as soon as I get the web software back up, groan   :evil: ) and ultimately I'll do an upgrade instruction which incorporates both Nirvana and Nirvana Plus, since the N+ also incorporates all the changes of the Nirvana.

Now here's confidence.  If you have a negative comment, let's hear it.  I'm game if you are.  I've had a few, most from Australia (of course!!), and most complaining that the AKSA is not a tube amp, and sounds terrible on bad recordings.  Difficult to say much about this;  one of those rare occasions when I'm lost for words!!   :rotflmao:

At present Darren is poring over the GK150 front console, which is being done again (my first efforts were clearly not to standard, so we threw it all away and went back for more!)   :( , and I'm updating documentation.  I'm building a few amps at present, first and foremost the US Audition amp (yahoo, it's coming!!   :wink: ) and still grinding away on the DAKSA, very quietly, with Ben.

Ever searching, Paul has found more N+ caps, and pretty soon the upgrade will be back on the market.......

I always seem to be saying this, but here it is again!  None of this Herculean effort would be possible without huge input from Ben Williams, Ian Miller, Paul Kaplan, Darren Kerr, Darl Singh, and Simon Williams.  All these people have lent their considerable expertise across a huge range of skills.  In addition advice received from Andrew Gartside, Peter Pesheck, Peter Louisson and others too numerous to mention has been invaluable  :thankyou:  .  Despite having turned 53 just a couple of weeks ago I'm having more fun than at any other time in my life!  :hyper:    Should have been doing this decades back (but then I wouldn't have known what to do, would i?   :nono: )

Weather is getting cold and wet in southern Australia;  here's hoping Europe and the US are warming up, spring is coming!!

Cheers,

Hugh