cornet2 tropical fish caps

jetpack

cornet2 tropical fish caps
« on: 11 Jun 2012, 04:45 am »
Hi all.
I've just finished cutting a chassis for a brand new Cornet2. Everything is soldered onto the board, but it isn't jammed into the small Hammond case. I've used cheap Vishay and Illinois caps for C200, C206, C208, and C203.
I found a supply of NOS tropical fish capacitors today in the basement of my workplace. My question is: should I pull the current caps and replace them with the fish? I would rather do it now if it will help, as I don't want to 'extract' it from the Hammond death-grip after it is all installed.
Many thanks!
Bill

should have also added, I found some NOS mullard mustard caps too. any thoughts on these?

longplates

Re: cornet2 tropical fish caps
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2012, 02:26 am »
Capacitor recommendation is a REALLY divisive issue, but I'll risk it  :D  No, I would not use the Tropical Fish Caps you discovered. They are actually just rather humble film caps that are painted brightly. I have used them and found them no better than the basic-but-acceptable Panasonic polypropylene film caps from DigiKey. Maybe not as good. If I were to take the trouble to swap out parts, I would use something more special than the Tropical Fish caps... If your budget is really tight, C203 and C208 are where to start with parts upgrades. Then go after C200 and C206. The AuriCaps that have been on the market for 10+ years and are the Hagerman-approved upgrade cap in the Cornet2 manual have been discontinued and are disappearing fast; dealers have raised the prices on remaining AuriCaps in stock to RIDICULOUS levels (like $13 for a .1 uf and $22.75 for a 1 uf!!!) I was quoted almost $170 plus shipping just in AuriCaps to do the 8 capacitors you mention... The new AuriCaps are pricey too... With cost in mind, For C208, maybe try some of the Russian paper-in-oil caps from eBay? Cheap and great. (even better are Sprague Vitamin Q oil caps from WWII, also an eBay item) For C203.... maybe a Russian Teflon? The Russian caps have a HUGE return for the cost but can be REALLY BIG physically so prepare to improvise on the installation... The Russian caps are not the Absolut best caps out there but again their price/performance ratio is great! I started my build with MIT MultiCaps; for a modestly priced cap they are rather neutral and fairly detailed, if a little "dry" perhaps, and they only cost me about $32 for the 4 caps to do C203 and C208... and because I had used them before  I could pick out their sonic signature if I didn't like the sound... but REALLY-- the Russian oils and Russian Teflons they are the biggest bang for the buck.

jetpack

Re: cornet2 tropical fish caps
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2012, 09:01 pm »
Thanks for the capacitor suggestion. I'd already put in the Tropical Fish caps. After a bit of time I replaced them with some cheap but new (maybe polyester?) caps from digikey. There was a definite improvement. Then I ordered some MCaps and Obligatos from sound collective out of the UK. I believe they also made an improvement. It wasn't as noticeable as when I removed the TFs, but highs in my system definitely got clearer. I think I'm done experimenting for a while with the C2. It sounds great.

One comment for anybody thinking about starting a C2 or other Hagtech project: These are seriously sturdy PCB. I think an average sized man could stand on one without breaking it!