Anyone ever play a Heritage guitar???

jackman

Anyone ever play a Heritage guitar???
« on: 9 Jun 2012, 07:02 pm »
Good article on the guys who still make guitars in K-Zoo, MI, USA.  I have owned a H535 for almost 15 years and it's a very special guitar.  These guys made many of the classic 335's, LP's and SG's in the 50's and 60's. Their current guitars are he best they have ever made. Good guys who are pretty old. I hope they keep making guitars for many years.

http://m.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Jun/Builder_Profile_Heritage_Guitar.aspx
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2012, 09:09 pm by jackman »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Anyone ever play a Heritage guitar???
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2012, 08:34 pm »
No, just Gibsons from both Kalamzoo and Nashville.
Thanks for posting that link!

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2012, 08:41 pm »
Great guitars that are a lot less cash than their counterpart Gibson.  What Heritage really excels in is in Archtops where true luthier skills are required.  Many a Jazz Guitarist play them.

Jim

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2012, 09:16 pm »
Thanks guys.  Heritage is known for archtops and semi hollow guitars (335 style) but they use really good wood and their LP style guitars are excellent.

These guys make guitars completely by hand and are truly an old school operation. If you are ever in Kalamazoo, give them a call and see if you can get a tour. Their facility was built by Gibson in the early 1900's.  All of the old guys/owners worked for Gibson for years. I am a gibson fan as well but my 535 is truly special.

They can also make you a beautiful custom guitar that you will want to keep forever.

medium jim

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2012, 09:33 pm »
Just like the audio world, there are many great guitar makers...it's not just Martin, Gibson, Fender anymore.

Jim

Delacroix

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:48 am »
I owned a Heritage archtop  for a few years, never really getting along with it. P'ups would crap out unpredictably during sessions and there was just something about it that made me put it away when I had it in my arms for more than 30 mins, unlike some others which I cannot let go. Hard to explain -- some interments have it, but that Heritage did not.  I traded it on Gibson 335 after a while and 12 years later, I still love that Gibson. I know the Heritage story, love the idea of tried and true old-style Gibson production still being kept alive by a spin off company of ex-workers but it just didn't work for me. I am perhaps a little jaundiced by the treatment I received when I called them up for advice on getting this guitar into better playable shape (the guy on the other end certainly didn't offer me a tour, let me just put it that way). I've played a couple in stores on and off since then but never really bonded with one. I know some good dealers keep them but I don't know many pros who really play them as a main guitar. For me, they trade on their history more than their quality but that is just my experience, it is certainly true that Gibson and Fender have made more than a few logs of their own in their day. Maybe the next one I pick up will be the 'one'....

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2012, 03:08 am »
I stopped by heritage for the first time today, in Kalamazoo.  It was pretty cool seeing a bunch of old guys making guitars completely by hand as Gibson once did. 

It's strange but I can't explain why people get attached to a particular guitar but they do. I've owned and played lots of Gibson guitars throughout the years but most felt generic compared to my Heritage.  The guitars they are making today are very high quality. They finally use Tone Pros hardware versus Schaller and Duncan and Lollar pickups versus the Schallers they used in the past.

The Schaller hardware was high quality but not as cool looking as traditional Gibby hardware.  Mine still has bridge  but I ordered it with Duncan Seth Lovers.

Most pro players play Gibson and Fender. Small companies like Heritage don't get much attention from famous players. This is not a consideration for me.  My 535 is a blast to play and I like the way it looks.

Cheers

Jack