Playback Help

powerwindow

Playback Help
« on: 8 Jun 2012, 04:58 pm »
I don't know if anyone is using the same gear as I am, but I'm looking for some help as I'm new to this HiRez action.  I have an Oppo-83 I'm using as a transport, going SPdIF to an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC (not the newer DAC2).  I have a Miles Davis SACD dual layer Multi-Channel/Stereo SACD and wanted to experiemnt.  I have the Oppo set to SACD Stereo as the SACD priority.  I then have it set to output LPCM instead of DSD.  For some reason when I try and play the disc, the Minimax Signal light goes out and I get no audio through my preamp.  This is bumming me out, as I was hoping to get DVD-A burning software and start buying some HiRez material to play on my system. 

Can anyone explain why this is happening and if it may be related to being a SACD as the source and if it was DVD-A the Minimax would handle it?  The fact that I have the Oppo set to output LPCM has me less than optimistic though.

Thanks,
Tom

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Playback Help
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2012, 05:33 pm »
Tom,
SACD is a hirez format that is only available via HDMi or the analog outs.  the only thing you'd get from SPDIF/toslink is the rebook/cd layer.  If you want to play SACD's native format, DSD, you need to do one of three things:
1) send it via the Oppo's HDMI outs.  Then a DSD-capable receiver or surround processor would be able to play it natively via DSD.  If your receiver or processor is not DSD-capable then set the oppo for PCM and send it out HDMi that way.  The Oppo will downrez it to 24/88.  Still an HDMI-only option, though
2) use an inexpensive HDMI de-embedder (see my thread called Review: take SACD and Bluray directly to your DAC) to do the above, but then steal the signal and send the converted PCM to your DAC via SPDIF.  This is inexpensive, but is still HDMI-based and introduces some jitter.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0
3) go the custom hacked firmware PS3 route and rip the native DSD off of you SACD, convert it to whatever PCM sample rate you want (assuming your DAC doesn't do native DSD...the EE doesn't of course), and play it on your DAC.  I have a full pdf called SACD Ripping Guide For Dummies that explains this.  The thread is a sticky in this Circle.

powerwindow

Re: Playback Help
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2012, 07:26 pm »
Ted,
Once again for your speedy, helpful assistance.  Just when I think I'm pretty savvy on this tech stuff, something new crops up.  I love these types of forums for the collective wealth of knowledge that I can gain from.

So the Oppo's option of having PCM output would not send anything over the coax, unless it was a SACD/CD hybrid, then sending only the CD layer?  In the case of a strictly SACD Stereo/Multi-Channel disc, the Oppo does not convert the DSD to PCM to send out the coax? By choosing DSD output, I would then need something like the few AV receivers that can receive DSD and then convert it within that box?  And then in that case it would have to go HDMI? 

Sounds like you settled my reservations concerning the DAC's ability to handle DVD-A PCM info from the Oppo, since it is already in PCM format.  I just need to buy some FLAC material and do a little test.

Thanks again,
Tom