Oppo BDP-83 to Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC

powerwindow

Oppo BDP-83 to Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC
« on: 7 Jun 2012, 08:49 pm »
I'm looking to take advantage of my MiniMax DAC to play HiRes files.  However, I don't have a very good soundcard on my laptop or an interface to go between the laptop and Minimax.  I am considering getting some DVD-A burning software so I can burn DVD-As that can be played in my Oppo BDP-83.  Here is my naive question:  My Oppo can output the DVD-A info as LPCM via SPDiF to the MiniMax.  If all my DVD-As are going to be stereo, is there going to be a problem with the Minimax doing the decoding?  I contacted Bill @ Morningstar Audio (US supplier of Eastern Electric) and he responded saying he thought the Minimax can only take PCM. 

Thanks so much for the advice and I look forward to using the Sabre chip to its fullest potential.

Tom

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Oppo BDP-83 to Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2012, 09:00 pm »
LPCM simply means linear PCM.  Yes, any DAC that can handle up to 24/192 (DVD-A's stereo max) can handle it from Oppo's SPDIF out.  Why burn DVD-A's when they already exist?  DVD-A's require MLP decoding (which the Oppo can do, of course) but authoring them require MLP encoding.  What are you trying to do? 

powerwindow

Re: Oppo BDP-83 to Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2012, 09:54 pm »
Ted,
Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure the sac would handle the info in LPCM, but was confused when bill mentioned it could only handle PCM.

I am wanting to get hires music off HD tracks that is not specifically available as dvd-a and play it through my rig.

Tom