Magnepan demos with Bryston at Newport Beach Show

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Magnepan demos with Bryston at Newport Beach Show

DATE:  June 2012

At the recent Newport Beach show in California Magnepan demoed a 3-CHANNEL STEREO system utilizing a Bryston SP-2 Surround Processor and a Bryston 6B SST2 three channel amplifier.

COMMENTS FROM REVIEWERS:

Marc Mickelson, editor, theaudiobeat.com

• "Your sound was truly exceptional -- better than 90% of the systems I heard in Newport."

Excerpts from ultrahighendreview.com -  Frank Berry

• "When ready to play, the MMC-2s silently swing away from the wall and angle toward the listening position, providing the open area in the front and rear required for their dipole design. The system is much more visually elegant than my description.
• Of course, the bottom line is how it sounds. Wendell Diller played a selection of different genres of music during the 20 minute demo, and while the Magnepan system cannot play at the same dynamic levels or the with the same bone-rattling low frequency of the Kimber setup, it made up for it with not only the delicate, airy presentation you expect from Maggies, but more bass than you would ever imagine, all seamlessly delivered. It was one of those “Is it live or is it Memorex?” moments.
• The system easily bested many of the traditional- and significantly more expensive – two-channel setups in other rooms.”

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Magnepan demos with Bryston at Newport Beach Show
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm »
Very cool. Congrats!

Alphonse

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2012, 02:28 am »
I'm curious. How were they able to set up 3 channel stereo with the SP2 and 3 speakers plus 2 woofers? Is that an option in SP2 setup? Is it a modified 2 channel mix or multi-channel or what? If multi-channel what happens to the rear surround info? I might be interested in something like this.

Thanks, Al

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2012, 11:48 am »
I'm curious. How were they able to set up 3 channel stereo with the SP2 and 3 speakers plus 2 woofers? Is that an option in SP2 setup? Is it a modified 2 channel mix or multi-channel or what? If multi-channel what happens to the rear surround info? I might be interested in something like this.

Thanks, Al

Hi Al,

Yes they used a matrix surround mode and turn off the rear channels.

james