Cleaning sensor?

stlrman

Cleaning sensor?
« on: 6 Jun 2012, 05:27 pm »
I am needing to clean 30d sensor. I have swab sticks and cleaner
I did run it across twice, once on each side of swab. It still looks nasty.
Can I use one of those power air can sprayers?
Can I use a brush with the pump attached? Or will this scratch it?
Anyone ever use qtips as the swab sticks are crazy expensive?
Thanks,
Todd

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Cleaning sensor?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2012, 05:42 pm »
Don't use those canned air things.  Many of them have anti-inhalants in them to keep the glue sniffers from getting high.  I'm told they spray some little materials that can foul up your screen, but I've never seen the effect of that.

A lot of people use a Giottos Rocket Blower.  Seems to work well for me.

What did you use to clean yours?  I can't imagine a blast of air could remove what wet swabs don't.

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2012, 08:57 pm »

A lot of people use a Giottos Rocket Blower.  Seems to work well for me.

Hey!

That's what I use too. Go for the bigger one if you can.

I think people get carry away about cleaning sensor and this can damage the sensor.

Before going with the "wet cleaning" everyone should try using big air blower like the Giottos first. Usually this will solve the problem.

I once after a shooting found couple of the last frames with a spot on them. And the Giottos took care of that. Well, photoshop took care of the spot on those frames. So, far I've never have to use "wet cleaning" yet.... a good thing.

"Wet cleaning" should be left as a last resources.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2012, 09:39 pm »
I've used the wet swabs with no issues.  Most (all?) sensors have a glass cover so all you are really doing is cleaning that; not the pixels themselves.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2012, 10:07 pm »
I've used the wet swabs with no issues.  Most (all?) sensors have a glass cover so all you are really doing is cleaning that; not the pixels themselves.

Hey!

Yes, I know that. The idea of leaving mark(s) on thin glass like that just scare me.  :roll:

Anyway, whatever work for you.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2012, 11:03 pm »
I looked into it a while ago, and ended up taking it to a professional. Cost me $50, I think that was less than buying a cleaning kit.

gooberdude

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2012, 12:21 am »
There's a sensor cleaning kit on that same amazon.com page.  Looks like swaps and fluid.

I cleaned my sensor a few months back with moistened swabs then dry ones.  So far no issues.  I bought a store demo dslr though, it was really dirty upon close inspection.  Gotta be careful!

stlrman

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2012, 11:23 am »
Thanks everyone!!

PeteG

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2012, 02:16 am »
I looked into it a while ago, and ended up taking it to a professional. Cost me $50, I think that was less than buying a cleaning kit.
This is what I do and sometimes sending it back to the manufacture for cleaning I just pay for shipping.

navi

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm »

put too much liquid on my swab one time cleaning the medium format sensor smudged it- ended up taking to camera repairs place charged me $130!!

I use the delkin devices swabs and liquid each swab has two ends  - put 2 drops of liquid on 1 side swipe once use the other end (dry end) wipe again.

Stay away from the ones that use adhesives I know someone who also pulled out a few pixels using them.

stlrman

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2012, 12:46 pm »
Thanks again folks.  Success, with running swabs across sensor, but needed to use two swabs to get it really clean.

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2012, 07:35 pm »
It's a good idea to keep a portable ISO Standard 14644 Clean Room on hand whenever you need to swap lenses. 

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2012, 08:46 pm »
It's a good idea to keep a portable ISO Standard 14644 Clean Room on hand whenever you need to swap lenses.

C'mon, Nathan!  These are DIGITAL cameras!  Just use some spit and the (front) end of your undershirt!  Everybody KNOWS that ISO clean rooms are used for loading 8x10 film in the field.    :duh: :lol:

nathanm

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2012, 08:52 pm »
Hell yeah, it works for my glasses, why not a $5000 camera sensor?  :wink: 

Load film in the field are you MAD!?  :lol:  You only bring as many holders as you have\can carry and that's all you can shoot!  Besides, the dust on the scanner is going to be more of a pain than any dust in the holder.

Wait  I know, oil-mounted SLR lenes!  A nice Kami fluid contact between the rear element of the lens and the SLR sensor!  Problem solved!