Rounding cabinet corners

Arctos

Rounding cabinet corners
« on: 6 Feb 2003, 03:37 am »
Greetings,
I have a newbie question that I am almost embarrassed to ask!  To round 3/4" material used in making a speaker cabinet, do I need a 3/4" round over router bit?  It sounds logical, but I don't know if the 3/4" bit configuration actually equates to 3/4" material.

Thanks,

RDS

nathanm

Rounding cabinet corners
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2003, 05:12 am »
No it isn't absolutely necessary to match the sizes.  It depends on what size radius you want on the corner.

audiojerry

Rounding cabinet corners
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2003, 02:13 pm »
Do you subscribe to audioXpress? It's a do-it-yourself audio magazine that features all kinds of diy projects like building amps, speakers, crossovers, test equipment, and techincal articles. The Feb. issue has an article by Jim Moriyasu, who did a pretty extensive study on cabinet edge diffraction and how to reduce it. It may be the most thorough study anyone has done. One important finding was that any radius less than 3/4" is a waste of time.

JoshK

Rounding cabinet corners
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2003, 02:16 pm »
Thanks for the info Jerry, never heard of audioxpress before but I have been looking for just such a mag.

U4EA

Rounding cabinet corners
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2003, 07:01 pm »
Josh,

Borders carries that magazine You might want to preview it there.

audiojerry

Rounding cabinet corners
« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2003, 08:30 pm »
audioxpress has a website with some archived articles at
www.audioxpress.com

Arctos

Rounding cabinet corners
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2003, 11:15 pm »
Thanks for the assistance!  I would guess that the larger diameter corner round off I can get the better.  I think I will purchase the 3/4" bit and see how it goes.

Regards,

RDS