Oldest recording ?

rmurray

Oldest recording ?
« on: 5 Jun 2012, 03:28 pm »
  Going through my record collection I began to wonder how many members may still have their first recording. I started listening when I was 9 (1959) years old to my mom's 78s played on a wind up gramophone!. Those are now with a former wife along with my LPs and 45s. When I entered the digital thing(1988) my first CD was a newage harp recording from the Narada Artist's label which is still on my shelf today. So, does anyone still have, and listen to their very first record? :peek: :dance:

Phil A

Re: Oldest recording ?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2012, 04:02 pm »
I no longer have records but remember the 78s from my parents and lots of old lps like Living Stereos (on the old Garrard turntable).  I got a CD player the 1st week it was out.  It was a Phase Linear (made by Kyocera).  I had a friend who had a store and he wanted a volume discount and they listed for $1,100 and told me if I could get a few friends he would sell them at $675.  He had two CDs in the store and I bought both for $20 each - Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and Bob James/Earl Klugh One on One.

won ton on

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2012, 04:13 pm »
that first cd of pink floyd wish you were here sure was horrible,i even tried the reissue of the sony sbm ( supper bullshit recording ) and found it was worse.now i have the remastered version just rereleased in 2010 or 2011 and it's much better

jjc1

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2012, 04:22 pm »
   My first record was "Rudolph the Red Nosed Rheindeer" by Gene Autry. 78 Rpm. Long gone. Then I had original Elvis records when he recorded for Sun records. I  traded them to my best friend for his dumbells! Brilliant trade!  But I still have plenty old Rock and Roll 45s from the 50s. Have to get around to cleaning them up and listening some day.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2012, 04:25 pm »
that first cd of pink floyd wish you were here sure was horrible,i even tried the reissue of the sony sbm ( supper bullshit recording ) and found it was worse.now i have the remastered version just rereleased in 2010 or 2011 and it's much better
Yes, that first CD, as were many, were from sourced to be made into vinyl.  But at the time I got it there was basically no CDs out and after spending money on the player I sure did not just want to look at it.  The player, while built well, by todays standards wasn't all that great sounding.  When Adcom came out with the GCD-575 single disc player that was $600 list, I sold all my albums (bought and inherited) but the truth was that I probably only had about three dozen albums (MoFis and other audiophile labels) that were in pristine condition (basically taped them on cassette when I first got them and the if played after that was done sparingly and carefully.  Many of my albums and 45s were beat up from playing on lousy equipment when I was young.  I think I got $425 back then for the albums and 45s towards the Adcom CD player.  The guy told me to keep my Beatles albums (many were in mono) as the covers were worth more than the actual records for the condition they were in.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2012, 04:28 pm »
Hi.
I no longer have records but remember the 78s from my parents and lots of old lps like Living Stereos .

"Living Stereo" label was not yet the "oldest recording at all though I collected a few stereo recordings, picked dirty cheap (75cents a pop from my favourite local
store.)

The "oldest recording" stereo LP I got I think should be Tchaikovsky 1st Piano Concerto, (circa 1950?), packed in a thick golden jacket, with its back signed & dated by its producer & witnessed by its attorney, conforming that very first stereo LP so produced was best stereophonic recording ever made.

Of course, I can't complain about its so-so sound quality considering its very very early stereo cut then. For $1 only I own a world's very first stereo cut LP, I am very gratifiied.

c-J

cheap-Jack

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2012, 05:01 pm »
Hi.
But I still have plenty old Rock and Roll 45s from the 50s. Have to get around to cleaning them up and listening some day.

The old rockNrolls I got is the stereo LP of The Beach Boys live on stage. featuring its show opening hit - "Fun, Fun, Fun". My old favourite from 45s to 33LP! Jolly good sounding!

Not forget to mention: an old stereo LP of the Eagles live on stage, featuring its top hit as the show starter: - "Hotel California" Jolly good sounding.

All these priceless historic stereo cuts I own cost me only 75cents a piece from my favourite local thrift store. I am so gratified!

c-J

95Dyna

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2012, 05:15 pm »
Born in 1951, I remember listening to my mother's 78's, particularly Jo Stafford and a record that contained her rendition of "The Tennesee Waltz".  It was mom and dad's song they would tell me.  I never asked mom if she stole dad from an old friend on the dance floor as the song goes.  Some things are better left unsaid especially when it come to your parents and matters of the heart  :oops:.

My first CD in the mid 80's was Phil Collins' "Face Value".  I'll alway remember my jaw dropping upon the entrance of that dynamic drum riff at the end of the minute or so intro to "In The Air Tonight".  Wow, tripping down memory lane is always fun.  Thanks for thinking of the thread :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2012, 06:23 pm »
September Song sung by Walter Huston.

SHV

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2012, 07:29 pm »
My parents had a large collection of 78 "Big Band" records from the 30s and 40s but IIRC these were the first LPs that I purchased in the mid 60s.  Played using a used H H Scott AM-FM stereo receiver, Rek-o-Kut turntable and DIY speakers (Bozak).

Steve

Chicago

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2012, 07:59 pm »
My first record was a 45 called Behind the Green Door and I have no clue what may have become of that.  My first album was either Ricky Nelson or Johnny Mathis, don't recall.  I do still have my parents 78 collection and I have never counted them but there are over 100 and I know there are some Billie Holliday albums in there. 

My entire LP collection from childhood through 1971 was taken in a burglary.  After the burglary I can't recall which album I purchased first but if I had to hazard a guess maybe Elton John's, Madman Across the Water or the replacement of Cream, The Beatles or Crosby, Stills Nash & Young.  My son made off with my turntable and album collection maybe 10 years ago and I know he still has the albums.  He was listening to vinyl before it became all the rage again, not counting you serious folks. 

I have no idea which CD I purchased first but I can tell you I still have it. 

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2012, 08:08 pm »
First lp's

Have Twangy Guitar will Travel - Duane Eddy
The Ventures
Johnny & the Hurricaines

Above with snow shoveling money, pre snow blower era   :lol:

First cd's

Caverna Magica - Andreas Vollenweider
No Borders Here - Jane Siberry

For new NAK OMS-5, no remote that was a $100 option.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2012, 08:11 pm »
  Great topic rmurray, glad you asked. My first 45 was Lover's Who Wonder by Dion in 1962 that I played over and over and over ect ect: :roll:: My first LP was Bob Dylan's Another Side of Bob Dylan.  :thumb:  But ,alas , they were lost along life's journey.... :banghead:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2012, 08:19 pm »
My 1st LP was The Beatles "Again" purchased in 1970 at age 14

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2012, 10:01 pm »
The one I posted previously was a 78rpm.  It was my mom's.  I think MY first 45 may have been Gangster of Love, Johnnie Guitar Watson.  Maybe something by Jimmy Reed.  Hard to tell.  When I first got a little 45rpm record changer, I couldn't get enough R&B.  Steve Miller recorded Gangster of Love in the 60's.  No wonder.  He and Boz Scaggs are from North Dallas (Texas), too.

won ton on

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm »
Frank Zappa's .....just another band from L A,still have it too

patrickm

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2012, 01:55 pm »
Oldest LP is a K-Tel compilation from 1973.  I was 9 years old and saved my allowance for weeks to get it.  In hind sight, it wasn't a bad first purchase although it doesn't get much play nowadays.  In 1985'ish I picked up my first CD [which I still play today], Brothers in Arms pressed in West Germany.

PRELUDE

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2012, 02:09 pm »
The worst of Jefferson Airplane.

Photon46

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jun 2012, 02:36 pm »
I had a number of classical lp's my mom owned that I remember listening to when I was around five or six ('58-'59.) They were in such crappy condition from the cactus needle styli used on console stereos of the time, I ended throwing them all away. Except for one, I use it to hold my digital tracking force scale at the correct height. I still have the first lp's I bought when I was a teenager with my own money; The Mother's of Invention's, The Door's, and the Grateful Dead's first lp's. (They're in not much better condition than the one's my mother had though. :( ) I replaced them with reissues or better copies long ago.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 8 Jun 2012, 03:58 pm »

Yes my girlfriend had brown eyes - the things we do for love.

james