Do Maggies needs loads of room behind them from the front wall?

alec_cat

Hi guys, I heard my first Maggies at T.H.E. Show this weekend - it was the motorized in-wall setup with woofers. Very impressed, to say the least.

Am now looking at the 12s and the 1.7s - but do these guys both need a lot of room behind them to work properly? Unfortunately, my living room would only allow 3ft or so. What are your experiences?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
The more the better but 3' might work out okay for you.
I have about 6' with the 1.7s and 4 1/2 foot with the 3.7s.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Hi guys, I heard my first Maggies at T.H.E. Show this weekend - it was the motorized in-wall setup with woofers. Very impressed, to say the least.

Am now looking at the 12s and the 1.7s - but do these guys both need a lot of room behind them to work properly? Unfortunately, my living room would only allow 3ft or so. What are your experiences?

If you damp the front wall they should work ok

josh358

Three feet will work, but five is better. Why not get the on-walls? They're designed for just such circumstances.

SlushPuppy

I have 1.7's:

I have exactly 3' distance from my front wall to the back center of the speaker and 3' exactly from the side walls to the outside of the speaker. Tweeters out. Inner feet pointed just behind my listening chair. They sound incredible in my dedicated listening room.

NIGHTFALL1970

I have them three feet from the back wall.  Can you move them out when you listen, and then move them back against the wall when done?

medium jim

I had my 2.5's 3.5" off the front wall and thought they were the cat's meow, that was until I moved them out to 4" and everything just seemed to gel.

Jim

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
My 3.6 are angled, but the close to wall point is 40" away from wall behind speakers.
The other edge is about 46" or so away.

One 'trick' is to have the tweeters inboard, so the speakers themselves can be farther apart.
I rearranged mine so the tweeters are in the same location they would have been with a normal setup. Swapping the speakers so the woofers are on the outside wides the gap, but not the image.. so i have a wide space between with no hole in the sound.

I have a big picture window between them. Curtains at corners with shelving on walls at corners.
The drapes and shelves great. And a huge open view.
Works in my setup.

The giant speakerss are just not overly intrusive this way.
And fit into the room rather than totally dominate.

fredgarvin

I had my 2.5's 3.5" off the front wall and thought they were the cat's meow, that was until I moved them out to 4" and everything just seemed to gel.

Jim

I found the same with the Martin Logans I once had. I'd say that it's typical, exceptions noted.

66mgb

I have my 3.6's 4 feet from the back wall, about 3 feet from the sidewalls, tweeters in about 7 1/2 feet apart. Jim did you mean feet not inches on your post ???
Russ

medium jim

I have my 3.6's 4 feet from the back wall, about 3 feet from the sidewalls, tweeters in about 7 1/2 feet apart. Jim did you mean feet not inches on your post ???
Russ

Russ:

My bad, I did mean feet....

Jim

66mgb

Russ:

My bad, I did mean feet....

Jim

Jim how far back do sit from them and how far apart? I could not imagine a Maggie 4" from the wall. I have had a recent foray into vinyl with a permanent loan of a Linn Lp12 with SME 30009 III and an audio note IQ3.  Does sound good... now to clean some records!
Russ

medium jim

Jim how far back do sit from them and how far apart? I could not imagine a Maggie 4" from the wall. I have had a recent foray into vinyl with a permanent loan of a Linn Lp12 with SME 30009 III and an audio note IQ3.  Does sound good... now to clean some records!
Russ

I have a square room, 16x15x8.5', I have them 4' off the front wall and 3.5' off the side walls, my listening position is 4' off the back wall.  Ribbons on the inside, Toe-In to where the Ribbons are at my shoulders, my ear height is approximately in the middle of the panels, which seems to give the best instrument placement.   I feel like I'm 5-7th row center.

Jim

Breeze

:)

Yes, they do. According to your room measrements, it will differ. But, I have been using Maggies for years. Absolute minimum would be 36 inches. It would sound better, if you could place them a minimum of 48" from the wall. Either way, they should sound great. One more thing, they are very cable sensitive. That doesn't imply you spend alot on cables. Some cables sound dry. Some cables sound sibulent. When you find the right one's you'll know. If you want to save some money, pick up a pair of 1.6's. I've had both, in house, and the 1.6's sound much better. I think they just cheapened the 1.7's. In all honesty, the 1.6's sound much better! My dealer thinks so too. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2012, 08:49 am by ServerAdmin »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
You might prefer the sound of the earlier speakers but if you think that they developed the 1.7s as a cost-cutting measure you'd be mistaken.

Rclark

I wouldn't use them in a living room near a wall for tv, they really like being out away from the wall, and once you've heard them in their ideal space you will loathe hearing them backed up next to a tv. I love my maggies but for a living room speaker I'm going a more conventional route. They aren't ideal as a living room tv type speaker unless you have lots of space like Thunderbrick, and can pull them far out into the room without disrupting your view of the screen or making the room impractical.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I have my 42" plasma on the side wall with a loveseat opposite. The Maggies are at the far end.
My listening seat can also rotate and is in a decent position to listen or watch the TV to the left (as the plasma can rotate, and is angled a bit anyway,) so it can face my listening chair, or the loveseat.
My equipment rack is right off my left hand, so no need for a remote. LOL!
(I have my PS Audio P-600 behind the equipment rack. Makes it easy to fool around with cables, never have to move the rack to reach any....)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
   Maggies if required to do so will perform very well against the rear wall. They are designed to do so if room if needed. Saying that the more room behind them the better.
   With the 3A we had 8ft behind. When we used them for the TV right up against the wall was just fine. yes we lost depth however tonality and harmonic structure remained. The bass improved. Tradeoff as in any system. If you like the tone and are willing to give up some dimension really no big deal. For TV and movies you will never notice the difference as your brain cannot concentrate on video and music at the same time.

charles

josh358

If they have to be close to a wall, diffusion or absorption can help.

jimdgoulding

I should think about 55" off the back wall ideally for the 3.7's give or take with diffusion rather than absorption behind them if any.  Maybe somewhat closer for the smaller models.  I used to own Acoustat panel speakers.