HUGE HUGE thanks to poty and jcg

jefe

HUGE HUGE thanks to poty and jcg
« on: 3 Jun 2012, 02:21 pm »
Both these guys helped me with my Bugle build.  I started with poty and he was very uderstanding and patient with my questions and helping me learn.  Unfortunately my communication probablly wasn't clear or correct enough to get it fixed via long distance.

jcg offered to fix it for the cost of postage.  A few bad solders and a needed jumper later my bugle is singing.

The thing I find is the level of detail at lower listening levels is outstanding.  I'm still getting used to it and I'm very happy and mostly VERY VERY grateful for the help.

THANKS GUYS!!

poty

Re: HUGE HUGE thanks to poty and jcg
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2012, 09:55 am »
I'm glad you have solved the problem. And thanks for good words!
The only question left - what exactly was the cause of the second problem? Jcg?

jcg0322

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2012, 08:12 pm »
Poty,

Which problem was the second problem? His op-amps were all oriented correctly and they were not damaged in any way.
Power was inhibited on one channel because one lead from a battery holder was cracked. I only noticed it when I desoldered it and pulled it off the board.
It was right where the bottom of the battery holder meets the pcb.
I had an extra one laying around so I put it in there and threw the old one out.
Jeff really did a good job considering it was his first diy project.

cheers

poty

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2012, 07:11 am »
Poty, Which problem was the second problem?
:) The first problem was damaged opamps.
His op-amps were all oriented correctly and they were not damaged in any way.
Jeff changed them and noticed that one channel behaved differently from the other.
Power was inhibited on one channel because one lead from a battery holder was cracked. I only noticed it when I desoldered it and pulled it off the board.
It was right where the bottom of the battery holder meets the pcb.
I had an extra one laying around so I put it in there and threw the old one out.
I really can't understand this description. As far as I know, in the Bugle every opamp serves both channels, and is powered by 2-polarity, but one power supply. How could that be, that one channel was left unaffected?
Jeff really did a good job considering it was his first diy project.
Yes, I agree! I think the next project will be perfect from the first try! :)

cheers

jcg0322

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2012, 11:33 am »
OK, I see what you are saying about the power supply and that does make sense.
However, the other thing I noticed were the caps being used for c1, c3, c4 and c6. They were large "audio type" non-polarized .22uF capacitors that didn't fit very well. One of the leads from c1 and/or c4 were touching the body of the output rca jacks which are connected to ground.
I replaced them with the digikey P3224 caps as called out in the parts list.
(I just happen to have a few extras.)
I never tested the unit when I received it, only after I was done putting it all back together. I don't know what it originally sounded like.

cheers