"AnalogPlanet.com" Edited by Michael Fremer

SET Man

"AnalogPlanet.com" Edited by Michael Fremer
« on: 2 Jun 2012, 04:17 am »
Hey!

Saw the announcement on Stereophile's site.

.....analogplanet.com

Look pretty much like Stereophile's site but all about analog. Cool! :cool:

This was the first article I read there....

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/analog-corner-analog-planet-1

It was fun to read and I can connect with it. Anyway, this look like a great resources for any analog people both for rookies and veterans.

BTW... love that picture of Fremer with the CD :lol: Honestly that is how I feel most of the time with the sound of CD... 16 bits just ain't enough  :?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

festuss

Re: "AnalogPlanet.com" Edited by Michael Fremer
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2012, 09:37 am »
 :scratch: Never met a TT he didn't gush about.  Does he ever publish his hearing tests?  To back up his outrageous claims to what he hears. Like how much better a record sounds after it's DEMAGNETIZED!!! Now that's funny. :lol: :lol:
If 16 bits ain't enough DSD sure is. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2012, 10:36 am »
Like how much better a record sounds after it's DEMAGNETIZED!!! Now that's funny. :lol: :lol:

That may sound funny to you, but it is absolutely true. I've heard it and so have many others.

chester_audio

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2012, 10:59 am »
That may sound funny to you, but it is absolutely true. I've heard it and so have many others.

This is one area I agree with MF about. This is exactly why clear vinyl sounds better. I demag black vinyl right after cleaning. It seems to only need it once. Nothing expensive, a good hand held demag tool will work much better than the audiophile marketed devices. The device I have been using for several years set me back about $80.

festuss

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2012, 12:07 pm »
 :lol: :duh: And of course everyone that HEARD the IMPROVEMENT knew it was being done.  Do a blind test, and let's see how much you hear it's better.  Now how can an $80 demag work like the MF pushed, shilled unit?  Did you do a blind test?  This all seems real weird.  You know the power of suggestion, it's a big thing in audiophile planet nonsense.

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2012, 12:29 pm »
Meh, I think seeing that guy tweak out on vinyl turns people off.

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2012, 09:04 pm »
If 16 bits ain't enough DSD sure is.

Hey!

I agreed on that one. If SACD came out back than instead of CD than there is a good chance that I wouldn't be spinning vinyl right now. Sadly it didn't really take off like CD.

Well, he dose have some stuffs that I couldn't understand like the demag thing, of which I've never tried.

But at the end I have to say I learned a lot about TT and etc from him.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2012, 12:25 am »
It probably would have turned out the same for you Buddy because it takes many years to fully understand a new technology no matter what it is. And even longer for the manufacturers to get the best out of it. Maybe DSD or Sacd would have matured quicker than CD, but it is really too hard to tell.

It has been a long twisted road for CD progress I think. In only the last seven or eight years has CD become a very enjoyable format for me. As for 16 bits being enough, I think that yes it is plenty. I am really just now discovering how much music and information is hiding in those little silver discs that I bought so many years ago.

Btw, you can demag a CD too which makes no real or practical sense to me, but I'll be darned if i dont hear an improvement. Check out the Acousic Revive RD-3 if you ever get the opportunity.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2012, 01:16 am »
For a cheap demag tool, do you mean a tape head demagnitizer like what I have for my dead RTR deck?

ptmconsulting

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm »
I use a big bulk tape eraser that I picked up for a song on e-bay. I found absolutely no difference when using it on vinyl, but I do hear an increased presence when using it on a CD.

Both mediums are not supposed to have any magnetic properties, BTW.

J-Pak

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2012, 03:18 pm »
I love the Stereophile blog layout of his new website. It was hard to find music reviews on his old site.

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2012, 04:21 pm »
I don't agree with Mikey on a lot of things, but I use the Furutech DeMag on my records all the time - works great.  Everyone I've ever sat down in front of the system has described the same difference before and after.

And as I have two identical turntable/tonearm/cartridge/cable setups, they've been able to A/B with a non treated copy on occasion.

it's not a HUGE diff, and not something I'd suggest buying unless you have a pretty resolving system, but I've been pleased with the results. 

chester_audio

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2012, 10:49 pm »
it's not a HUGE diff, and not something I'd suggest buying unless you have a pretty resolving system, but I've been pleased with the results.

Yes, and probably not as big of a difference as a proper cleaning. It is worth it to me, and it only takes about 15 seconds.

The ferrous particles are supposedly introduced by the use of carbon black as a coloring agent. I hear no difference with clear and most colored vinyl. And not all of the black ones react as much as the next. Check out the Clarity Vinyl releases at Acoustic Sounds.

/mp

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2012, 04:45 am »
Repeated double blind testing may show non-plecebo effect. I try to keep an open mind. Audiophile priced devices: pul--eeze!

Best,
/mp