Hawthorne Audio

jimbones

Hawthorne Audio
« on: 31 May 2012, 07:38 pm »
Hi I am considering a OB design for my next speaker. In a previous thread I mentioned Av123, GR Research, Selah, Sunflower etc. Can anyone share their experiences with HA? How do their speakers performance compare with the aforementioned? Thanks.  :notworthy:  :green:

InfernoSTi

Re: Hawthorne Audio
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2012, 08:09 pm »
Hi Jim,

I can't compare HA to any other OB speaker but I have had their PSI, SSI, and now have a set of their Reference Rainier speakers.  I'm a big fan of HA and find that their product line is really a "musical" line of speakers.  I have paired my various steps with various tube amps but finally settled on a moderately modified Bottlehead 2A3 SET amp.  That has been a really nice combination.

I suppose one would need to know more about what you are seeking in musical reproduction and presentation to give you a more detailed response.  As with many things in life, there are compromises and solutions...what do you  want to accomplish? 

Best,
John

jimbones

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2012, 12:21 am »
Hi Jim,

I can't compare HA to any other OB speaker but I have had their PSI, SSI, and now have a set of their Reference Rainier speakers.  I'm a big fan of HA and find that their product line is really a "musical" line of speakers.  I have paired my various steps with various tube amps but finally settled on a moderately modified Bottlehead 2A3 SET amp.  That has been a really nice combination.

I suppose one would need to know more about what you are seeking in musical reproduction and presentation to give you a more detailed response.  As with many things in life, there are compromises and solutions...what do you  want to accomplish? 

Best,
John

Imaging/soundstage and clarity are important to me. It can have some coloration (leaning warm or forward) but be clear. I am not confident that a 10 inch woofer will sound good up to 19K (not that I can hear that high)
I was thinking of using their woofer and making a MTM OB top end. But I see that the manufacturers I mentioned don't go OB on the bass module for a reason.

cujobob

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2012, 12:35 am »
The higher line of drivers are nice, but the cheaper drivers are only okay. They're musical and a good value but not really high end if that makes any sense.

The high frequencies are not handled by the woofer by the way as they are coaxial designs.

What price range are you looking at?

jimbones

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2012, 02:10 am »
I was looking at the Silver Iris. I guess that it the low end stuff. I am looking for a driver to handle from about 40hz to 500hz OB.

usp1

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2012, 05:33 am »
Agree with cujobob. The silver iris are nice but not great. I got a pair to ry on their starter baffles and they are nice but not refined enough. The SSI are supposed to be a big step up but I do not have any experience with them.

jimbones

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2012, 11:35 am »
Thanks, sounds cost prohibitive. I think the SSI is like $700 for the driver. I could look for another driver that costs less. I don't need to go too deep since I have a Velo Sub.

Another alternative is to build a bass refelex enclosure for the low end and go OB top.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2012, 11:57 am »
If you already have a Velo sub, I would consider just running an OB main driver.

A full ranger would be a good option for exploring.

A Visaton b200 is what I used for 5+ years on OB.  There are many other options too.

I ran OB mains with sealed or ported subs, but eventually was drawn in by OB bass too.  Less bass impact, but zero overhang in my experience.

gooberdude

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2012, 12:28 am »
I've owned the Silver Iris, then Sterlings and now Tang Band 1808 fullrange drivers. 

Try and get the best you can afford. 

All my HA drivers were 15" and throw a huge sound, just awesome...mainly speaking of the Sterlings.  You can save some $ by getting an electronic x-over & just buying the raw drivers.  A big part of the cost of the Sterlings are those bad-ass passive x-over components. 

I have a set of 15" SI's if you want them, but the Sterlings are an excellent & proper way to begin OB.  The TB 1808's and a dcx2496 isn't a bad way to go either. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2012, 12:53 am »
I defer to those with direct HA experience when it comes to discussing those particular drivers.

For a taste of OB on a beer budget, and to see if you will ever think it is worth investing in, you might be shocked at what a set of 6.5 coax car speakers sounds like on a quick and dirty 1/2 inch mdf panel.

I am sure you could pick up a set for under $40 on Craigslist, Kijiji or eBay.

Might surprise you with what you discover.

Then you can chart a course to invest more - or, run screaming back to more conventional alignments.

Go with what your ears tell you!

doorman

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2012, 01:27 am »
Only having heard the entry-grade HA drivers, they were rather ordinary.
The Visaton's we heard ( W/bass reinforcement) were apparently quite inexpensive and sounded very satisfying.
Good Hunting
Don

jimbones

Re: First OB build
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2012, 07:56 pm »
OK I think I have an idea. To get the good HA drivers is rather expensive. This would be my first OB project so this is what I was thinking and please chime in here:

I already have some very good 6 1/2 drivers (4 of them) that sound very good up to 2500hz that are relatively hi q drivers.
I could buy a woofer (10 or 12 inch) that has parameters that would allow me to build it up as an OB or cabinet (later) if I don't like OB bass. I will buy a decent tweeter SB or Seas excel line.

What do you think? Does anyone know of a woofer that would fit the bill?
Thanks

gooberdude

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2012, 11:04 pm »
HA Auggies. 

jimbones

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2012, 12:14 am »
HA Auggies.

Not sure if I mentioned it but I have a Velo sub so I need something from 45-500hz.

Gothover

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2012, 01:54 pm »
You might just go with the Eminence Alpha 15A, I have had good success with them in my O-B projects.

There are far better woofers availabe, but on a budget this one does fine.

Dave

Rudolf

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2012, 04:14 pm »
I could buy a woofer (10 or 12 inch) that has parameters that would allow me to build it up as an OB or cabinet (later) if I don't like OB bass.

Peerless SLS 10 and SLS 12 live happily in both worlds.

jimbones

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2012, 04:51 pm »
Peerless SLS 10 and SLS 12 live happily in both worlds.

Rudoulf, do you mean xls?

Rudolf

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2012, 09:00 am »
Rudoulf, do you mean xls?
No, I was thinking of something in the price range of the Alpha15

Peerless 830669 http://www.tymphany.com/files/SLS-P830669%20Rev1_0.pdf
Peerless 830668 http://www.tymphany.com/files/P830668%20Spec%20sheet%20Rev%202_0.pdf

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2012, 11:01 am »
IMO HA offers good value.  The SI are musical but lack detail, which the SSI add.  The top of the line pretty much stole the show at 2012 AKFest for big speakers.  The 10 inchers integrate woofer/tweeter better, but give up some of the bottom end (that's what the Augie is for).  All are very efficient and very well built.

Dave, Daryl's crossover guru, is experimenting with a new crossover for the SI/SSI which on a quick listen seems to have improved the integration issue.  BTW I'm a friend of both, but don't really care for O.B.   :oops:

jimbones

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2012, 10:11 pm »
No, I was thinking of something in the price range of the Alpha15

Peerless 830669 http://www.tymphany.com/files/SLS-P830669%20Rev1_0.pdf
Peerless 830668 http://www.tymphany.com/files/P830668%20Spec%20sheet%20Rev%202_0.pdf

OK Parts Express has them and they are reasonable priced.