Joe's WOW1's in birds eye maple

jsalk

Joe's WOW1's in birds eye maple
« on: 31 May 2012, 05:41 pm »
Joe wanted a pair of WOW1's in bird's eye maple.  So we searched for a batch with medium-sized eyes and uniform fill across the sheet.  We found some veneer and hardwood trim.  Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Joe!

- Jim

Austin08

Re: Joe's WOW1's in birds eye maple
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2012, 06:09 pm »
Very nice monitor. Congratulation, Joe.

saeyedoc

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2012, 07:22 pm »
Yet another beauty!

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2012, 07:40 pm »
Wow Jim, you're on a role today!  Congratulations, Joe, and welcome to the Salk family.  You chose a simply outstanding veneer.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2012, 08:28 pm »
You suck Joe! :wink:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2012, 12:38 am »
Hey Joe,

where you goin' with that gun in........  sorry  :oops:

Beautiful speakers.  We seem to have similar taste.  I'm waiting for my Salk's that will also be in bird's eye maple with figuring:

Deciding between natural, slightly darkened and warmed, or in a grey- probably lighter than this:

Enjoy!

.......Peter

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2012, 12:52 am »
Nice haul Joe, I'm sure they'll sound as sweet at they look. Welcome to the Salk family. Geez Jim, don't you & the shop ever sleep ?  :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:27 am »
Hey Joe,

where you goin' with that gun in........  sorry  :oops:

Beautiful speakers.  We seem to have similar taste.  I'm waiting for my Salk's that will also be in bird's eye maple with figuring:

Deciding between natural, slightly darkened and warmed, or in a grey- probably lighter than this:

Enjoy!

.......Peter

Those are both amazing, and will certainly be tough to choose between.  I'd love to see a lighter sample, like you mentioned, but if nothing else "regular" birds eye maple is outstanding.

pstrisik

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:39 am »
Those are both amazing, and will certainly be tough to choose between.  I'd love to see a lighter sample, like you mentioned, but if nothing else "regular" birds eye maple is outstanding.

Yes, and Joe's babies sure make natural look attractive.  The bird's eye seems to be a little richer in tone than the standard maple in natural finish.  Looks true for those WOWs and is true for my stock veneer as well.

........Peter

pstrisik

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2012, 02:40 am »

Where is Joe, anyway?   :scratch:

.......Peter

beckerjm

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2012, 03:08 pm »
What did I do to merit the comment 'You suck Joe'?

To reply to another post, I do not have a gun.

In response to 'where is Joe?', I am current in a comfy chair in my vacation home -waiting for the WOW1s to arrive next Tuesday - listening to a Beethoven string trio being played from my iPod via a Wadia 171i dock/transport to a pair of vintage Martin speakers using an AudioSource amp. At my other home I have a Rega Planar 25 turntable with a Benz glider MC cartridge; a Camelot Technology Lancelot Pro DC-powered phono pre-amp; a Carver tube CD player; an Assemblage UJB-1 jitter reducer; a MSB LinkDac 24/192 DAC with dedicated power supply; a Creek OBH-10; a Creek OBH-11SE; Rotel line conditioners; a Rega a2d ADC with USB output for recording vinyl to hard drive using a Marantz 6300 turntable with a Shure V-15 Type V-MR MM cartridge; Marantz 250 power amp; Marantz 3300 control pre-amp; Marantz 120 tuner; and matched IMF TLS-50 speakers.

fsimms

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:12 pm »
What did I do to merit the comment 'You suck Joe'?

I think BRM was indicating that he was green from envy.  :green:
You had them and he did not.

Bob

rick240

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2012, 11:52 am »
Wow Jim, you're on a role today!  Congratulations, Joe, and welcome to the Salk family.  You chose a simply outstanding veneer.

and an outstanding little speaker   :thumb:

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2012, 06:43 pm »
At my 3rd home I have a Elf made turntable with a custom unobtanium cartridge; and King Arthur’s wet dream phono stage – powered by a custom Gerbil wheel; an Atomic dog pile amplifier with custom ex-Soviet tank power cords; Pure silver speaker cables coated in platinum that were gently broken in with a traditional soak in Aardvark urine (at a stable 73.6 degrees); feeding matched Wanker Tower Speakers from Shallow Audio (with the blowhard tweeter upgrade). 

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2012, 07:03 pm »
I don't know Rick....I have always found the blowhard upgrade to create a sense that they are pushing too much air unless  of course you treat the cone's surface with with dancing fairy dots. :)