Electronic Subwoofer Crossover's

aboroth00

Re: Electronic Subwoofer Crossover's
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2012, 07:41 pm »
Has anyone integrated the minidsp into their system?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2012, 01:40 am »
Just scored a really clean LP-1, but no manual.

Anyone know if they still exist?

Gene

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jun 2012, 03:18 am »

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jun 2012, 03:38 am »
anybody know best way to get a DCX2496 fixed? Where I might take it/send it?

Mine has some intermittent weird sounds, like traffic noise, not hum. But it works. I think its output caps... (if they have those?!?  :green:) based on something I heard about this unit design a long time ago.

I do have a minidsp on standby. I like the dcx because I am used to it, and I already bought the damn xlr to rca cables.  I am dreading dealing with this new thing. The warnings, (after having bought it!) about making sure the biquads filter solution is ok before using it, and not being responsible for damage, put me off about it. I am sure once I get started with it, it won't be that bad though. Although I did read someone saying they tend to have some noise issues too? ugh.

Tony

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 23 Jun 2012, 03:54 am »
The warnings, (after having bought it!) about making sure the biquads filter solution is ok before using it, and not being responsible for damage, put me off about it. I am sure once I get started with it, it won't be that bad though.

That's if you use the "advanced" biquad function. If you're not an "advanced" user, then stick to the "basic" function and it's a piece of cake.

Vendors can't win. Some users wanted the ability to directly write into the biquad coefficients. So miniDSP gave it to them. Then some people who didn't know what they were doing screwed up and now people are going around saying there's a problem with the device itself.

JohnR

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jun 2012, 04:10 am »
Speaking of miniDSP... there's a new product out for those who want to use their own DACs:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/nanodigi-2x8-k

Davey

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jun 2012, 04:30 am »
anybody know best way to get a DCX2496 fixed? Where I might take it/send it?

Mine has some intermittent weird sounds, like traffic noise, not hum. But it works. I think its output caps... (if they have those?!?  :green:) based on something I heard about this unit design a long time ago.

Tony

Try popping the top on that and removing and re-seating all the ribbon connectors.  I think that might solve your issue.

Yes, there are multiple coupling capacitors in each output channel, but I doubt those are the issue.

Cheers,

Dave.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2012, 08:13 am »

I understand that it is the upsampling chip crashing? Or something like that.

dave
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2012, 07:53 pm by planet10 »

etcarroll

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jun 2012, 09:57 am »
I'd MUCH rather build subwoofers and improve pre- and poweramps and use commercial x-overs than build one.   :)
I have blurbs describing the circuitry, recommended improvements, etc., from 'Audio Basics' and Frank VanAlstine; if you'll e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net I'll e-mail them to you.

Jeff - thanks a bunch!

Gene

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #31 on: 23 Jun 2012, 04:27 pm »
Doug -

You are a super-hero poster.
thanks, et; i used to be a wolunteer, but it seems some folks don't appreciate the fact that all i am trying to do is help out other fellow audiophiles.  so, now i have been demoted.   :lol:

doug s.

JohnR

« Reply #32 on: 24 Jun 2012, 02:48 am »
thanks, et; i used to be a wolunteer, but it seems some folks don't appreciate the fact that all i am trying to do is help out other fellow audiophiles.  so, now i have been demoted.   :lol:

doug s.

And why is that you have to be rude, a bully, and a liar to boot in order to "help out other audiophiles"?

medium jim

« Reply #33 on: 24 Jun 2012, 03:14 am »
Let's get back on topic!

Jim

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #34 on: 24 Jun 2012, 03:24 am »
Try popping the top on that and removing and re-seating all the ribbon connectors.  I think that might solve your issue.

Yes, there are multiple coupling capacitors in each output channel, but I doubt those are the issue.

Cheers,

Dave.

Wow, I think that worked! I haven't noticed it all day.

I guess I was lucky, because I could only get to 2 ends that would disconnect with the clips. There were others that didn't seem to be designed to disconnect. I tried pulling one and had to use pliers. The top finally came off to reveal a wire that was pushed through the pins and capped by this plastic piece. --I don't think it was intended to ever come back apart.   

Thanks so very much.

Tony

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #35 on: 24 Jun 2012, 03:31 am »
And why is that you have to be rude, a bully, and a liar to boot in order to "help out other audiophiles"?
with all due respect, none of those adjectives applies to my behaviour on this site.  or anywhere else, for that matter...  i do admit that i have a tendency not to turn the other cheek when someone is not respectful of what i may say...

doug s.

medium jim

« Reply #36 on: 24 Jun 2012, 03:56 am »
Last warning to keep the discussion on topic.

Thanks,
Jim

Davey

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jun 2012, 04:33 am »
Wow, I think that worked! I haven't noticed it all day.

I guess I was lucky, because I could only get to 2 ends that would disconnect with the clips. There were others that didn't seem to be designed to disconnect. I tried pulling one and had to use pliers. The top finally came off to reveal a wire that was pushed through the pins and capped by this plastic piece. --I don't think it was intended to ever come back apart.   

Thanks so very much.

Tony

Yep, only one side of the ribbon cables is actually detachable.  The other ends are permanently attached and shouldn't be a problem.  This is a not uncommon problem with the DCX2496.  Some users have actually reflowed a few of the soldered connections on the underside of the board mounted IDC connectors.  But don't do that unless you're feeling lucky.  :)

If the noise returns just try re-seating the connectors again.

Cheers,

Dave.

etcarroll

« Reply #38 on: 28 Jun 2012, 11:11 pm »
Got the lp-1, seems to have sat unused as seller claimed;

WireNut

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jul 2012, 12:21 am »
Sorry I sold my LP-1. It's a good one if you can find it.
Just as good as my ARC EC22 crossover IMO.
It,s nice to be able to change the frequency point.
I can't do that with my EC22.
Not sure if the marchand's will allow you to do that.
Most seem to come with modules for changing the frequency.