Speaker in the ceiling.

J Fallows

• melomane
Speaker in the ceiling.
« on: 28 May 2012, 01:16 pm »
So, we're at our favorite Chinese joint last night, my dad and I. He is 91 and was a tailgunner in a B-24.

They're playing jazz over the sound system, a little louder than usual. While we're drinking our
Tsingtao :beer:, we both notice how nice the music sounds. 

It has got to be an 8" full ranger hiding in the suspended ceiling behind one of those restrictive metal grills. I've been around some pretty nice sounding speakers  but this was a surprise.

Anyone else had this sort of experience?

youravhandyman

Re: Speaker in the ceiling.
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2012, 01:22 pm »
There are some pretty high quality commercial speakers these days.  With the proper backbox(required in some circumstances) you could have a really nice sound.  They also have in ceiling subs to give that something more.
Kudos to your Chinese joint for spending the money.  Most of the ones I frequent have an old boombox that looks like it's been there since the 80's playing through the one functioning speaker.

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2012, 09:22 pm »
Hey, Handyman
The surprising part is that we've been going to that place for 40 yrs. and never noticed the sound before. I don't think they installed anything new, but since you mentioned it I'll have to
ask next time.
This experience has got me itching to build something with those BOFU's that I got just before they became extinct.
Maybe MLTL. Plans anyone?

John

srb

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2012, 10:41 pm »
Although you posted this in the Single Driver, Wide-Bandwitdth Speakers circle (single crossover-less driver), I wouldn't be surprised if you find out that this good sound coming from a sub-optimal location covered by a metal grill was in fact actually a coaxial two-way driver with a tweeter and crossover?

Steve

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2012, 11:39 pm »

Quite possibly.
I'll try to find out.
I'd still like to do the BOFU though.