LE Amp 2 decision

NealH

LE Amp 2 decision
« on: 25 May 2004, 10:56 am »
Well after a year I received my notice that my Le Amps are ready to ship.  Now I have to make the decision whether to got these or not.  Can anyone who recently received a pair comment on the current quality?  Also, what changes have been made to the amp (ie., is it still a no global feedback design as advertised over a year ago)?

Looks like at $300 per side shipped MB has decided to raise the price to those that ordered a year ago.  This is about $50 higher than specified a year ago.

Andrikos

LE Amp 2 decision
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2004, 02:47 pm »
rnhood,
I'm in the same scenario.
I'm not sure if I'm going to buy them... Bummer, they look like nice amps but I'm not too excited about getting them any more...
Oh well...

Guan

Update but still waiting
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2004, 06:34 am »
I received my pair of Le Amp II about 3 months ago. I haven't posted anything about them simply because I haven't heard them for longer than an hour as one amp was defective.

The build quality is average with some panels not fitting exactly and screws that don't line up properly on the top cover. I even spotted some components (resistors) that were smaller in one amp compared to the other :o  All this I can live with IF the amps worked properly.

But upon arrival, one of the monoblocks hummed when the XLR input was used and the bulb for the back-lit front screen was not working. After a couple of emails with Yuths, I managed to fix the bulb (but somehow the intensity is not the same). Next I noticed that this amp ran a lot cooler than the other monoblock. The amps are supposed to run quite hot. As I am not a technical person, I have been waiting ever since for a fix for both the humming XLR input and the bias adjustment.

Update - April 2004
Latest I heard from Michael about a month ago is that there was batch of defective amps that hummed or buzzed. To rectify the situation Norh came out with a grounding kit. This worked for about half the units but another half didn't have any improvement. What they then discovered was that they were using a AC voltage stabilizer and filter on their test system when checking the amps. When they plugged the amps into the wall directly, some of the amps that sounded fine would make the same buzzing.

Norh therefore designed a AC filter to go into the amp. Some units were retrofitted and sent out. Apparently they got enough responses back that they are confident that this took care of the situation. So I would expect that new amps being shipped out would be cured of this malaise.

I'm STILL waiting for my fix/replacement though. If I didn't already have an amp, I would be in a real sad state.  :cry:

Andrikos

LE Amp 2 decision
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2004, 03:53 pm »
Bad things are getting even worse... Sorry to hear about your troubles...
I think I'll stay away.
Bummer, I like the philosophy of the company and the funkiness of their products, just not their quality issues and failure to deliver.

Carlman

LE Amp 2 decision
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2004, 05:23 pm »
Quote from: Andrikos
I think I'll stay away.
Bummer, I like the philosophy of the company and the funkiness of their products, just not their quality issues and failure to deliver.

I guess "Le Amp" and "Le Car" have something in common.  :lol:

gonefishin

LE Amp 2 decision
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2004, 05:29 am »
Quote from: Carlman
Quote from: Andrikos
I think I'll stay away.

I guess "Le Amp" and "Le Car" have something in common.  :lol:

Now now Carlman...you shouldn't be giving the original (rebadged) LeAmps the LeCar Comparison.   :wink:

dyfromhawaii

LE Amp 2 decision
« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2004, 05:25 am »
haven't heard anything about the LeAmp II since June...

anybody with reviews on the 'revised' amp since there were some bugs in the initial batch?