Stevie Wonder

Rclark

Stevie Wonder
« on: 25 May 2012, 10:39 pm »

You never hear about this guy. I'm kinda pissed actually because I had to discover him on my own. I have Talking Book and as of a few days ago, Innervisions, and they are some of the best music I've ever heard.

And probably some of the best sounding albums as well. You have to figure a blind genius is going to obsess over the final product and it shows. They sound utterly fantastic. Dynamic, clear, detailed, an audiophile's delight.

Both those albums are rated 5 stars/off the charts, and it's easy to see why.

If you're in the mood for some funky, thoughtful, musically intricate and engaging, fun albums, put those two on your list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OJsYwLs7yE

decal

Re: Stevie Wonder
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2012, 10:46 pm »
You never hear about Stevie Wonder because he hasn't done anything worth talking about in the last 30 years. Just my opinion, YMMV.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2012, 12:27 am by decal »

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2012, 10:50 pm »
I know but all you guys talk about is older music and older musicians so I figured something as huge as this would have come up.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2012, 01:51 am by Rclark »

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2012, 11:26 pm »

You never hear about this guy. I'm kinda pissed actually because I had to discover him on my own. I have Talking Book and as of a few days ago, Innervisions, and they are some of the best music I've ever heard.

And probably some of the best sounding albums as well. You have to figure a blind genius is going to obsess over the final product and it shows. They sound utterly fantastic. Dynamic, clear, detailed, an audiophile's delight.

Both those albums are rated 5 stars/off the charts, and it's easy to see why.

If you're in the mood for some funky, thoughtful, musically intricate and engaging, fun albums, put those two on your list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OJsYwLs7yE

Add Fulfillingness' First Finale and Songs In The Key Of Life to your shopping list and you will be in possession of four of the great pillars of R&B and for that matter contemporary pop music. Stevie Wonder was a wunderkind who had a lot of hits on the Motown label before the albums we've mentioned here. Along with Marvin Gaye and perhaps to a lesser extent, the Temptations, Wonder managed to wrestle away complete artistic control of his music from Berry Gordy Jr. at Motown and make some music which was more artistically relevant and socially conscious than anything released by the label up to that point.
While much of his subsequent output may not have lived up to the impossibly high standard he himself set,for those four albums alone he should be carried around in a sedan chair for the rest of his days.

D.D.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2012, 11:54 pm »
 I'll definitely snatch those up too, thanks!

Innervisions, listening to it now, it's amazing what he was able to pull off in the early 70's with all those clips on Just enough for the City.

Definitely ahead of his time. Music of this type often doesn't age very well. This sounds easy and fresh without being corny or lame.

Both these albums also have phenomenally recorded bass instruments. Zingy and live, and very present, very warm.

so funky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCPjeOPjH5Y

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2012, 12:26 am »

The man is a giant. Enjoy!  :thumb:

D.D.

PS : Check out who played what on those tracks...

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2012, 12:40 am »
I was lucky enough to meet Stevie Wonder once. He came into a Radioshack I was working at. No 'star' attitude at all; he talked to every person in the long line that formed as soon as word got around that he was there.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2012, 01:28 am »
I hope you're young.  :wink:

I thought everyone had heard 'Innervisions' – an album I've played at least once a month for almost 40 years. It's a wonderful mix of music – brilliantly written and executed by a true genius. Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with decal. IMO, 'Innervisions' is his best effort. I'm definitely with D.D. in being impressed with how much of that album is all Stevie – and he's really an excellent drummer!

All I can say is that I'm glad you found it. If you have an SACD player, you ought to pick up the SHM release. Even though I had already played it this month, I'm listening to it right now. It never gets old. It never, ever will.

That's quite cool, db. :D

funkmonkey

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2012, 01:37 am »
Every time I hear anything about Stevie Wonder I can't help but think of this SNL "comercial"
http://www.hulu.com/watch/124971/saturday-night-live-kannon-camera
What a good sport, shows a lot of character...

Cheers

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2012, 01:53 am »
Damn DB that's really cool. Any good documentaries on this guy?

Phil

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2012, 04:02 am »

The man is a giant. Enjoy!  :thumb:

D.D.

PS : Check out who played what on those tracks...

+1   glad you discovered his music.  You might want to read about his life experiences that preceded Innervisions.

Phil
« Last Edit: 26 May 2012, 05:28 am by Phil »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2012, 05:59 am »
Golden Lady is one of my top three all time singles and when Innervisions popped up on hdtracks I was exstatic!!!! :thumb: :dance: :dance:

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2012, 06:13 am »

Nice Ed! yeah it's such damn good music. Nice and chill, but not too relaxing. Love all the harmonica and effects he weaves into it.

It's on HDTracks, huh? That will probably be the first HD album I buy then. Can you tell a difference?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2012, 04:53 pm »
In my college days I use to trip out on Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants.  I didn't know it but it was music that Stevie composed for the documentary of the same name.  I'll have to see it...

Phil

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2012, 05:21 pm »
django11,

if you find the documentary, please let us know.  I thought it was never released.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2012, 08:29 pm »
django11,

if you find the documentary, please let us know.  I thought it was never released.

Looks like you are right.  I learned two new things today...

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2012, 06:05 am »

it's funny, I bought ten albums this week, and good ones. Stevie has not left the ERC-2.