Upgrade Cartridge or Turntable first?

stump4545

Upgrade Cartridge or Turntable first?
« on: 25 May 2012, 07:59 pm »
not saying i need to but, i have a VPI Scout and a dynavector 10x5 cartridge.

in the future if i was to upgrade, what should i upgrade first, the VPI Scout or the Dynavector 10x5 Cartridge?

which would give me the most improvement in theory?

Ericus Rex

Re: Upgrade Cartridge or Turntable first?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2012, 08:34 pm »
I've always found the cartridge to make the most difference.  Esp. since you already have a good 'table.

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2012, 08:36 pm »
IMO it would be the cartridge.

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2012, 08:38 pm »
Agreed, if you had a high value cartridge, then I'd say the Scout as I used to have one mated with the 10x4 DV.  I then got a Shelter 501 mkii and thought that the Scout sounded great with it!  Much better than the DV....

Upgrade the cart!

stump4545

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2012, 08:47 pm »
thanks for the advice.

not that a plan to but if i went from the vpi scout to a super scoutmaster turntable big difference or not really?

does it make much sense to mount a $3K cartridge on a vpi scout or at that point better to get a better cart and save some $$ for a better turntable?

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2012, 09:01 pm »
I'm going to disagree and say upgrade the table first.  it all depends on the end goal though and how much you want to spend.  I just made a table change, within the same price point actually, and the difference was pretty great.

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2012, 09:26 pm »
Table.

Paul

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2012, 09:30 pm »
I will add another vote for cart.

Berndt

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2012, 10:53 pm »
Tone arm

galyons

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2012, 11:42 pm »
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/05/return-of-the-vacuum-tube.htmlThis is like asking "How long is a piece of string".  What is the rest of your system...phono stage, preamp, amps, speakers? 

The Scout is a great entry level high end table. Does it mate well with the rest of your components, outclasses them or is it the weak link?

What would you consider evidence of a "major improvement"?  Frequency extension?  Imaging? Soundstage? Instrumental timbre? What is your budget?  Would that $$$ be better spent elsewhere in the chain?

I would not be so presumptuous to offer advice without much more info. IMO, answers without the above parameters considered are fluff and a waste of your time.

Of course, YMMV!

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: 26 May 2012, 02:38 am by galyons »

orientalexpress

« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2012, 11:51 pm »
Cartridge,your scout is 90% there already to gain another 5% in performance would cost you a fortune  :o.A good cartridges will bring a your system to another level. :D

lapsan

Photon46

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2012, 12:10 am »
your scout is 90% there already to gain another 5% in performance would cost you a fortune
lapsan

Not necessarily. I was able to buy a well maintained Acoustic Signature Final Tool and sell my VPI Scout for a total layout of about $700. The Final Tool provides considerably more than a 5% performance upgrade, believe me. Are you seriously suggesting a Scout is a platform offering 90% of what's possible in vinyl? If so, I respectfully suggest broader listening experience would change your mind. A better cartridge will provide an immediate fix of increased audio goodness, but it will still be compromised in its ultimate potential by the limitations of the VPI table and arm. Galyon really has the correct answer though. In all things audio and especially analog, ultimate performance of a system is limited by the weakest link.

jtsnead

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2012, 12:11 am »
I have a Scout and I feel upgrading the tonearmallowed to hear differences in cartridges compared to the VPI arm, first I used a Lyra Dorian wich was very accurate and detailed.
Went to a Benz Ace Sl which turned out to be a warmer sound I am now using a Denon DL-S1 which combines both warmer and detailed sound. I think linear tracking tonearms reveal the differences between cartridges very obvious.

simoon

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2012, 01:41 am »
I'm going to disagree and say upgrade the table first.  it all depends on the end goal though and how much you want to spend.  I just made a table change, within the same price point actually, and the difference was pretty great.

I completely agree.

A better table will allow the existing cartridge to perform better. And even more importantly, a better table will be able to get more out of even better cartridges in the future. The better table would allow even greater upgrade possibilities in the future.

Would upgrading tires on a good motorcycle enable it to perform better? Sure. But upgrading the motorcycle to a better performing one would still outperform the good one, even if they bothy had the same tires.

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2012, 02:25 am »
Having had the opportunity to use very high end cartridges on both high performance and cheapie tables and vice versa, I'll take a modest cartridge on a great arm/table any day.   

J-Pak

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2012, 03:11 am »
I have a Scout and I feel upgrading the tonearmallowed to hear differences in cartridges compared to the VPI arm, first I used a Lyra Dorian wich was very accurate and detailed.
Went to a Benz Ace Sl which turned out to be a warmer sound I am now using a Denon DL-S1 which combines both warmer and detailed sound. I think linear tracking tonearms reveal the differences between cartridges very obvious.

Have you had a chance to use any of those carts on the Hifi News Test Record on the tracking tests? I'm really interested in the DL-S1, but haven't read much about its tracking performance which is the number one priority for me when buying a cart.

To the OP: I had a Scout before I upgraded to a Spacedeck. I went through 3 cartridges when I owned the Scout and you will hear the changes between them; it's a great deck

jerryleefish

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2012, 06:34 am »
A good question answered best by your budget and long range objective. I would not spend a lot for a cartridge and install it on a lesser grade TT and arm
unless you intend to to upgrade them as well. Trying to do both simultaneously is tempting but may not be possible. Upgrading over time seems to work well.
My three tables and arms are of different design and quality. Sonically I would be hard pressed to say there is much difference. Cartridges and step up devices
on the other hand have immediate impact on me and provide the biggest bang for the buck.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2012, 07:24 am »
Not necessarily. I was able to buy a well maintained Acoustic Signature Final Tool and sell my VPI Scout for a total layout of about $700. The Final Tool provides considerably more than a 5% performance upgrade, believe me. Are you seriously suggesting a Scout is a platform offering 90% of what's possible in vinyl? If so, I respectfully suggest broader listening experience would change your mind. A better cartridge will provide an immediate fix of increased audio goodness, but it will still be compromised in its ultimate potential by the limitations of the VPI table and arm. Galyon really has the correct answer though. In all things audio and especially analog, ultimate performance of a system is limited by the weakest link.
No jive here.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2012, 10:42 am »
not saying i need to but, i have a VPI Scout and a dynavector 10x5 cartridge.

in the future if i was to upgrade, what should i upgrade first, the VPI Scout or the Dynavector 10x5 Cartridge?

which would give me the most improvement in theory?

Your question implies that both will eventually be upgraded.  If you have the $, I'd say, do the table/arm first.  Obviously both can be improved but the table /arm will be the platform that offers the biggest improvement and will be the basis for evaluating other components including cartridge.  On the other hand, a cart upgrade will give you an immediate improvement.  Just keep in mind your eventual table/arm.

It really depends on your situation, long range goals and other components.  We know nothing about the rest of your system and what you're looking for.  You're using a HOMC.  Are you planning on getting a LOMC?  Interface with phono stage, tonearm etc becomes relevant and it's not possible to go much further than prioritize relative importance.
Regards,

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2012, 02:42 pm »
  A cart will give you more bang for the buck. If you match the new cart to your arm all the merrier. The VPI is no slouch. If you had a BS TT then a new TT would make a bigger difference.
    Then if not owned already the VPI SDS power supply will really make a leap forward. Just to get your nervosa going IMO a better phonstage would be the best choice over either, chew on that .

charles