The marketing machine moves forward

threadkiller

The marketing machine moves forward
« on: 25 May 2012, 05:22 pm »
Had a good laugh today... I see where VPI is coming out with a Classic 4.
Aren't you WTL users happy you bought a table you don't have to replace every two years? 

roscoeiii

Re: The marketing machine moves forward
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2012, 05:34 pm »
Hey, different strokes for different folks. Never heard a Classic, but it does look great.

Sure we have seen examples of folks who have replaced Classics with a WTA (see vortrex's comments for a comparison of the WTA with a Classic 1). But it may be that the VPI trumps the WTA for some. How high up in the VPI line one needs to go to get the majority of listeners to prefer a VPI is a good question. But VPI does some very cool stuff (rim drive & SDS for example), as do many TT manufacturers. It is a matter of what works best for you in your system according to your preferences (and yes, it is ok for your preferences to be aesthetic).

Loads of different approaches out there. No denying that the WTA sounds fabulous for the price, but it may not be for everyone.

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2012, 05:51 pm »
Had a good laugh today... I see where VPI is coming out with a Classic 4.
Aren't you WTL users happy you bought a table you don't have to replace every two years?

Though you didn't realize it, but you  just helped out the so called "marketing machine" you rant about... :scratch:

Anyways, I have had a few VPI tables and versions...I love the fact you can talk to them, they are made in USA and they sound great with lots of "options".

Would you rather have a company that just invents and produces just "ONE" product????

vortrex

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2012, 06:11 pm »
funny you mention classic 4.  doesn't WT have essentially 4 levels of the same table now?

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2012, 08:40 pm »
Oh my...
Let's see...  Of course not eveythings for everyone- never said contrary- but of course, this forum is for WTL folks.  Very interesting how some of you feel differently. Why is that?

Hell yes, I know what my rants are about. If someone wants to buy a VPI more power to them. Again, why would they be on here then? And to be clear, I've owned VPI and still hear rhem, and happy the day I sold it. That's that. I would never think to go on a VPI table and say anything negative. It's just that I found something I like better. And the dealers I respect have as well.

Why only one?  When Firebaugh's made the best he can, then why not go with that?  Slight marketing to be sure- Simplex for more affordable, GTA for the looks for the European markets, and now the Versalex, since mostly everyone seems obsessed with wood plinths. And also the universal arm.  Though I still think the strength is table/arm combo.

And lastly, look how many gazillion VPI variants have come across through the years.  If that's not a marketing machine then I don't know what is.
And I can say that on a WTL, funded by WTL, and stated by a WTL owner.
So gladly bash away, but please do so on audio asylum, karma, vinyl engine, or VPI-  oops they don't have one.  Do so on pink fish at your own peril- not big fans of VPI there...

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2012, 05:57 am »
Hey, different strokes for different folks. Never heard a Classic, but it does look great.

Sure we have seen examples of folks who have replaced Classics with a WTA (see vortrex's comments for a comparison of the WTA with a Classic 1). But it may be that the VPI trumps the WTA for some. How high up in the VPI line one needs to go to get the majority of listeners to prefer a VPI is a good question. But VPI does some very cool stuff (rim drive & SDS for example), as do many TT manufacturers. It is a matter of what works best for you in your system according to your preferences (and yes, it is ok for your preferences to be aesthetic).

Loads of different approaches out there. No denying that the WTA sounds fabulous for the price, but it may not be for everyone.

The only thing that confuses me, ( and that's pretty easy ) is where does that leave the Scout, Scoutmasters, Aries, etc. in the VPI food chain. They seem to have hit a sweet spot with the Classic lineup.  A lot of overlapping choices at similar price points to the point where they seem to be competing against themselves. I'm no marketing genius, but it would seem they would have their hands full refining the Classic line alone. Got to love their ambition though.