FS Zu omen definitions pics added 1650

skite30

FS Zu omen definitions pics added 1650
« on: 24 May 2012, 02:59 pm »

I have a pair of omen defs in black. I am the original owner and have all packing, shipping boxes and owners manual etc. I have pics will add them soon. Speakers are in condition I received them in. I just noticed that several of the seams are not as clean as they should be. I have had them a year and a half an never noticed this before. I bought them as A stock not B. I live in Jacksonville fl. and would prefer local pick up but would be willing to meet halfway anywhere in florida or georgia area.
Asking 1650 obo. I tried to get a pic of the seams I am talking about but it didn't show up. I only found them by feel when dusting.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2012, 01:53 pm by skite30 »

skite30

Re: FS Zu omen definitions pics added 1650
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2012, 01:54 pm »
bunp

iskandam

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2012, 06:15 am »
I heard these speakers at T.H.E. Show last week.  It was paired with a tube amp.  Sean Casey's son spun some vinyl on it.  They sounded absolutely incredible with dynamics to spare.  A true bargain in hi fi.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2012, 04:06 pm »
I heard these speakers at T.H.E. Show last week.

Not trying to nit-pick, but for clarification Zu had their new Def 4 at Newport, not the Omen Def listed here.  That said, the Omen Def delivers a lot of what the Def 4 does for 1/4th the price @ retail.  At the price listed here, it's an incredible bargain.  Upgrade the tweeter cap to a Mundorf Silver/Oil and it gets even better!

Russ

mtanielu

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2012, 05:15 am »
Still available? 

Gopher

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2012, 01:33 pm »
Which drivers do these have?  The same ones as the Superflys?

skite30

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2012, 02:33 pm »
Yes still available.

I will check the zu site to see if they use the same driver or not. I just received an e-mail from zu saying they are going to offer new drivers for the Omen def's I will check on that also.

skite30

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2012, 02:34 pm »
The mundorf cap upgrade mentioned runs about 65 per speaker. Sean at zu recommends this also. He said it was easy to do but I didn't attempt it

skite30

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2012, 03:29 pm »
I called zu they said the upgraded drivers cost 400 a pair. The original soul superfly's used the same drivers as the omen the new superflys apparently use the new upgraded driver.

morganc

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2012, 04:48 pm »
If you upgrade the driver and the Mundorf SIO then this is 99% the same speaker as the Definition mkiii's if you exclude the bass modules.  It is in fact a steal at this price if you have the room for them and don't need the dedicated bass amp/module that the definitions have. 

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2012, 05:45 pm »
I've heard both drivers, the original Omen driver and the new Nano driver in my Superflys.  The new driver does have better resolution and more shove but also have more energy on the top end.  For my ears in my system this was not a good thing. 

I'm really happy with the sound I'm getting from the 12 ohm Omen driver.  They roll off at just the right place to provide a smooth midrange with plenty of presence without getting edgy or shouty.  The Nano driver had a little too much upper midrange energy for my taste and I couldn't get it to integrate with the tweeter as well as the Omen driver.  This could be a break-in issue and I just didn't have to patience to put the time in to get the new ones settled in.  Zu took the new drivers back and refunded the $400 I paid for the upgrade no problem. 

I'm not bagging on the Nano driver.  It is clearly better in every way except (for my ears) the extreme top end.  I'm 48 and my ears are pretty beat up from mixing lots of live concerts in my younger years.  I'm hyper-sensitive to extra energy in the 8 to 12k range due to minor tinnitus.  The Omen driver hits me just right, the Nano didn't.  That's all. 

One thing for sure, upgrading the crossover cap to the Mundorf is a must.  It really opens up the speaker.

All that to say this is a great speaker at a great price.  Buy it!

Russ

Sam-fi

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2012, 03:01 pm »
These are the speakers I currently use in my system. It sounds dynamic, toneful, with a nice open soundstage. It tracks the dynamics with such speed and articulation you get the sense of a real musical event. Pairing with the right electronics has let my system sound more laidback on classical recordings and more forward and lively non classic rock. Through these speakers no two recordings sound the same, even on the same album! You can clearly hear all the defects of a recording but manages to stay enjoyable and coherent even with poor recordings. These speakers are tremendous. The upgrade to nano drivers may be worth it as well.

Thanks,
Sam

mtanielu

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2012, 08:24 pm »
If you decide to ship, I am paying your asking price :D

skite30

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2012, 01:49 pm »
I can ship them the boxes weith 84 lbs each. My zip code is
32257. I can use any service u wish. I should have mentioned the cabinets have a 5 year warranty on them. If u find that seam unacceptable we can work out something with zu.

mtanielu

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2012, 04:33 pm »
Sounds good!  Did zu ship them to you?  What service did they use?  I normally use UPS ground.  You can reach me at m.tanielu@yahoo.com as well.

S1NN3R

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:14 am »
Are they using the Mundorf Silver/Oil caps for their new Zu Omen Def now?

morganc

« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2012, 07:47 pm »
I'm not sure if the Mundorfs SIO are standard on the New Omen Defs, but they are small and relatively inexpensive caps.   

I will say that if you buy these speakers, add the SIO and upgrade to the Nano Drivers, you will be quite happy.  The new drivers are very good :thumb: 

genjamon

« Reply #17 on: 3 Nov 2012, 07:56 pm »
Are these still available?

skite30

« Reply #18 on: 3 Nov 2012, 08:32 pm »
Yes they r. All boxed up and ready to go.

skite30

« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar 2013, 02:29 pm »
bump