What Album Was Most Responsible For Turning You On to Jazz?

lcrim

I'm shamelessly stealing this topic from another website but I think its a great topic.

For me it was way back in college when I first heard Charles Lloyd's "Forest Flower" a live recording @ the Monterey Jazz festival in my dorm room.

This was in the sixties and I didn't know about Trane or Miles back then.  The album captured a live performance of Lloyd's group and the music just burned it up and  yet was literate and fully realized. I was into acid rock at the time until this album introduced me to great jazz.
Keith Jarrett is part of this ensemble and of course he was instantly an enigma to me.
What did it for you?
Larry

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition

Freo-1

Miles Davis:  Kind Of Blue

Æ

Sorry my answer is not the answer you are looking for.
It wasn't any particular album that turned me on to Jazz, for me it was a radio station. KBCA-FM.

http://www.socalradiohistory.com/ykbcastudio.html

TONEPUB

Chicago Transit Authority and Herbie Hancock - Headhunters.

Just got to hang out with Herbie in LA for a few hours last week.  Great guy!

R_burke

Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra   Saw them as an opening act for ELP and was at the local record store when it opened the next day to buy it

Scott F.

Besides Frank and Ella (which were really pop music of the 50s) that my parents listened to all the time, what really grabbed my attention back in the 70s was the Pat Metheny Group.

From there I sorta got into a bit of the late 70s/really early 80s jazz. Got bored with that pretty quick and started diving into late 40s through the 50s jazz (Count Basie, Duke, Miles, Charlie Parker, Lester Young and the like) and it spiraled out of control from there.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

And still my favorite.... :beer:

And....how did I get to Dave Brubeck....by way of....The Nice...  :rock:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

Mike Nomad

Gil Melle - Patterns In Jazz

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: What Album Was Most Responsible For Turning You On to Jazz?
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2012, 02:02 am »
Coltrane's Giant Steps:

Plus a bit of Islay:

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2012, 02:18 am »
One album?!?  You're kidding right?

My parents had a Wurlitzer jukebox in our basement full of 78 RPM records of Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman and all the other jazz greats from the 30's and 40's.  They had big dance parties with all their friends back in those days.  I learned to like jazz, then classical, then rock, in that order, after which came the many other forms of music that I have in my collection.

And thanks for rekindling some great memories of my family stretching back to the early 60's!  I remember my dad would always use the same quarter each time in the jukebox until we wore it down such that the weight no longer was sufficient to to trip the mechanics for the next three song choices.  He loved wearing things out, especially tools.  And he was good at it, if it didn't break first!  :lol:

Mmm...time for some John Coltrane, but I'll pass on the scotch, thanks.

richidoo

« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2012, 02:21 am »
My grandmother gave me Art Blakey, A Night at Birdland, Vol. 1 for Christmas when I was 6yo. It's warped and worn now, played several thousand times, but still one of my most treasured possessions.  It has taken me to many places, to meet some really incredible people. 

rodge827

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2012, 02:26 am »

It was 1986 I was 22 and my 21 year old brother was playing this on his ROCK BOX! I was like "dude whats with this dentist office sh*t?"  he said " hey..that's David Sanborn...chicks love this stuff...makes it easier to close the deal" :thumb:
Sooo my jazz appreciation began with rather noble intentions :green: and from there a true love for the music was born 8)

Rodge

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2012, 02:30 am »
There were 5 albums that I encountered around the same time in college that got me hooked:

Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
Miles Davis- Tribute to Jack Johnson
John Coltrane- A Love Supreme
Miles Davis- Bitches Brew
Gateway (Holland, Abercrombie and DeJohnette)- S/T

Then came Mingus and Dolphy...

decal

« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2012, 02:37 am »

Miles Davis  "Bitches Brew"

Regalma

« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2012, 02:39 am »
Swiss Movement by Eddie Harris and Les McCann. What a great bridge album. Living in Santa Cruz with the great Kuumbwa jazz club sealed the deal.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2012, 03:00 am »
What a great thread!  I remember my intro to jazz to this day.  I was a junior in high school 1969, listening to Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, Beatles White, Cream, etc. when a friend of my older brother gave me a copy of Time Out(still got it) and a copy of Beethovan's 9th.  Wow.  I think I'll call him tomorrow and thank him. 

Scott

rpf

« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2012, 03:13 am »
Initially Dave Brubeck's "Time Out". Along with some Ella and the Oscar Peterson recording of "My Fair Lady" (with the sultry cover  :green:) that my parents had.

I didn't really get into Jazz though, until the late sixties, early seventies; with Charles Lloyd's "Forest Flowers", Miles Davis's "In A Silent Way", and Coltrane's "A Love Supreme". Which led to Pharaoh Sanders, Leon Thomas, Gary Burton, Larry Coryell, etc.

simoon

« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2012, 03:33 am »
Hard to say...

Probably Return to Forever 'Where Have I Known You before",  or maybe Mahavishnu Orchestra 'The Inner Mounting Flame'.