Looking for digital monos for bass only

JBryan

Looking for digital monos for bass only
« on: 23 May 2012, 02:48 pm »
Hello,

I've been running Klipsch bass bins with 30w gainclone mono amps for close to 10 years. There's a lot to like about these amps - they are fast and dig pretty deep for 30 watts and completely silent as in, stick your head in the horn and..nothing. Best of all, aside from long trips and storms, I have left them on 24/7 without an issue and from what I read, they use as much electricity as a flashlight bulb at idle.

They've kept me quite happy but I keep thinking I should put more power into those woofers - add more snap and punch to the bottom end. I've tried a few D-amps over the years but they've always had drawbacks - noise, heat, less finesse, non-mono so I'm hoping someone can direct me to a nice pair of amps that will provide all the positives of the gainclones with more watts, say 150+.

I'm interested in the Hypex amps and have tried them in the past (UDC180) but they ran hot, had a hum I couldn't get rid of and in the end, I couldn't justify the cost to just run bass bins. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.