Rega vs. minimax dac

usp1

Rega vs. minimax dac
« on: 23 May 2012, 04:25 am »
Has anyone compared the the Rega Dac with the EE minimax dac (not the plus)? What were your impressions.

TheChairGuy

Re: Rega vs. minimax dac
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2012, 01:05 pm »
Has anyone compared the the Rega Dac with the EE minimax dac (not the plus)? What were your impressions.

This is a review circle....your post is a plea for further information on DAC's.

I'll leave this up for a little bit in the hopes that someone materializes and actually states their review between these two DAC's...but barring that, it'll either be sent to Intergalactic Waste Bin or another circle where it may fit in better.

Thanks, John (co-Facilitator, Critic's Circle)

usp1

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2012, 01:32 pm »
Sorry for posting in the circle. I could not figure out which circle would be best.

tomytoons

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2012, 03:09 pm »
A very good site for reviews discussions on anything DAC is here>>

http://www.head-fi.org/f/7/dedicated-source-components

Not sure that particular comparison is there but check or ask there.
Very helpful and personable folks on that site. Some from here.

usp1

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2012, 04:30 pm »
Thanks tomytoons....I did check head-fi but could not find that comparison.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2012, 06:46 pm »
I had a slight preference for the Minimax dac (upgraded with opamps) over the rega. Its a very musical and fun sounding dac.
It also depends on your system. (synergy)

Racer X

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2012, 04:59 am »
Usp 1 a couple a months back I came across a mini review where someone said they compared a rega a centrance and a minimax and the minimax was the worst of the bunch and he didn't have much nice to say about it. Having just purchased a minimax I thought I would like to compare my minimax to the rega that he felt was so great, so I found a local dealer and took my minimax to compare. The dealer asked if I would by the rega if I thought it was better, I told him if there was a big improvement I would. Now the dealer calls the distributor to check stock and informs me he could get a new one in couple of days, so we listen to the rega through a rega integrated and a small pair of harbeths we went through the presets it sounded ok. The dealer took my minimax pulled the cable from the rega and put it in the minimax there was so much more separation between the instruments the sound stage was wider and moved forward about ten rows the only area that the rega was stronger was that the bass was deeper but not clean it just sounded muddy and all the instruments were pushed together after ten minutes he gave me the minimax back and asked how much it cost and said that was in lighting and never asked if I wanted to by the rega.i was expecting it to be very close it wasn't it was night and day, I assume everything was ok with the rega it was already in a long term demo setup, and changing the cable from one unit to the other was the only change made. My minimax is the original and stock with the only change being a pavane 12au7 tube.

usp1

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2012, 04:39 am »
Thanks Racer X. I have a stock minimax as well ( with psvane tube!)but keep hearing a lot about the Rega dac. They seem to come up for about the same price as the minimax on the used market and hence the question.

Have you tried using the AES/EBU input? I read in one of the threads that several people, including Bill of Moningstar, found it to be the best of the inputs. I had an rca to xlr cable so I tried it. Several things are immediately obvious ... a small increase in SPL and increased treble. I am using this setup right now even though the converter cable is a low quality pro cable.

Anyone know of a good modestly priced rca to xlr cable? Cardas makes adapters but thats one more connection so I would like to avoid that.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2012, 10:27 am »
If you can spend the dough, get a Bolder mod and that dac just about doubles in performance.

usp1

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2012, 04:07 pm »
If you can spend the dough, get a Bolder mod and that dac just about doubles in performance.

The first phrase in your recommendation is critical.... :lol:

usp1

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2012, 04:11 pm »

oops...double post