Omega designs speakers for Symbol

Louis O

Omega designs speakers for Symbol
« on: 22 May 2012, 08:42 pm »
Hi All,

I would like to thank Tovin Design for the opportunity to design the speakers for the Modern Record Console and the tabletop HiFi. The end result is beautiful and sounds amazing.

The speakers are my 6.5" alnico full range drivers and the Deephemp subwoofer is in the plate steel metal base

The In the backround is the tabletop hifi. A 2.1 system with 4" full range drivers and a 5.25" bottom-firing sub. It's powered as well.

Check this link for more pictures and info.
http://www.symbolaudio.com/collection/tabletop-hifi/

Tube amp in the console is EL-84 based and has a full preamp and phono stage.

The console is finished in solid Walnut and has a very nicely done cover.

Click on the link above for more info.

Thanks again,
Louis

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
Re: Omega designs speakers for Symbol
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2012, 01:52 am »
Louis,

That is incredible work! Very, very cool.

:thumb:

kbuzz3

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2012, 02:58 pm »
That is one of the finest audio design achievements -- audio or non audio-- ive seen in a long time. Simply OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

Now comes the difficult part. What are the MSRP's for this and for the LP cabinets, which are very nice as well.

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2012, 03:13 pm »
Louis,

Soooo Cooolll!  8) 8) 8) 8)

What a great idea  :thumb:

Are the speakers removable?

Where can one go for a listen?

MSRP?

Rodge

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2012, 03:20 pm »
These are too cool. I had a lovely console once but sadly just the woodwork as it had been parted out and the amp and tubes sold eBay by the time I got to it. Sadly I had to leave the woodwork behind when I left the US, it was the most beautiful piece from 1947 IIRC. It probably wouldn't have sounded that good anyway. I've always wondered since about the concept... and here it is.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2012, 06:50 pm »
Very stylish, and it has a modern look to it even though it's an old concept.

It does seem like most vinyl enthusiasts are into big stereos, but the tabletop hi-fi with the 4.5" speakers could be huge, especially if it includes ipod compatibility (even though I don't own one). It will be good competition for the high end ipod dock systems out there like the Krell KID:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/07/krell-intros-the-kid-anothe-expensive-ipod-dock-youll-never/

"Hey man, check out my $4000 combo iPod dock / Class A amp playing a 128kbps MP3 file! Listen to that brittle high-end... it's like you're in the room with the computer that compressed this file!"

[Via Crave; Image courtesy Audio Junkies]

rodge827

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2012, 07:44 pm »
"Hey man, check out my $4000 combo iPod dock / Class A amp playing a 128kbps MP3 file! Listen to that brittle high-end... it's like you're in the room with the computer that compressed this file!"

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2012, 07:57 pm »
Hi gbeard,

Many thanks and Blake and Matt did a wonderful job with both pieces. The cabinetry is stellar.

Hi kbuzz3,

It sure is and I was so excited about the project when I first saw the renderings and plans on paper. I really liked both of them a lot. Everything went smoothly too with all the components. The record cab is awesome.

Don't know the prices, but I would think it's up there. The table top is $1800 last I heard.

Hi Rodge,

I said the same thing when I heard about it. The speakers are fixed, but they may make another version that does.

They are in Nyack, NY right off the Tappan Zee bridge.

Hi JohnR,

Way cool and your story reminds me of my parents old console that I took apart. I wish I still had it. It was really nice. This console really got me into audio at a very young age. It's really nice to see the concept return in this form.

Hi DaveC113,

Thanks and I think it will. This one will be a big hit I think. The Krell piece is funny.

Thanks,
Louis