Etymotic User's Tip Preferences?

dB Cooper

Etymotic User's Tip Preferences?
« on: 17 May 2012, 03:39 pm »
Anybody out there using Etymotics, what are your tip prefs? I use the foam tips, the "snowball" tips isolate well but are not as comfortable as the foams. The triple flanges, which are supposed to isolate the most? I get a good fit and near total isolation in the left ear but cannot get the same in the right ear unless I insert them painfully deep. So for right now it's the foams. Just wondered what others' experiences have been. (Tried Ultiimate Ears but nowhere near the isolation I got with the Etymotics.)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.

ajzepp

Re: Etymotic User's Tip Preferences?
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2012, 05:19 pm »
I have Comply tips on my Etymotics and Atrios. Fantastic isolation and comfort.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2012, 05:33 pm »
I use Comply foam on my Ety's- the Sony earbuds I have use a Black colored plyable substance like the white snowball ones out there and they feel great and are easier to insert and isolate as well but I haven't looked into what they are exactly yet. I think they are what the head-fi folks call the Sony olives but I'm not 100% sure. Those are my favorites, the Sony's.

saisunil

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2012, 11:01 pm »
When I had them -- I used the foam and worked great ... but better bass can be had without sacrificing comfort with some other tips that I never tried ...

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2012, 11:20 pm »
I tried the triple flanges, found them very uncomfortable and it did not isolate so well. The foam was the best and more comfortable. 

I have now switched to comply foam, which are the most comfortable I have ever used and it isolates as well as the foam tips from Etymotic.

Comply foam www.complyfoam.com

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2012, 11:24 pm »
I'm glad nobody's recommending earmolds. I went that route and found that, after spending the money and experiencing the awkward and time-consuming insertion/removal, they didn't sound as good as the nylon triple flange option.

When I'm on a recording session, I usually monitor with Etys, but I have to be able to remove them quickly if someone wants to talk, so the compressible foam is not usable for me due to that, even if it sounds better in the bass (which it does).

I'm interested in trying some of the options mentioned here - it hadn't occurred to me to look for alternatives like these; I would have thought the shape of the earpiece would allow only the devices supplied by the manufacturer to fit.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2012, 11:37 pm »
I think I'll look into the Comply P series for maximum isolation. I guess you have to roll them before insertion but do you have plenty of time to get them in, or does the foam expand quickly?

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2012, 02:39 am »
I think I'll look into the Comply P series for maximum isolation. I guess you have to roll them before insertion but do you have plenty of time to get them in, or does the foam expand quickly?

you have time...they expand very slowly

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2012, 03:54 am »
Comply looks like a good find. Will check those out. I might put my oem foam tips in the freezer, cut a little chamfer into them, and see if that helps with insertion.

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2012, 03:25 pm »
I'm glad nobody's recommending earmolds. I went that route and found that, after spending the money and experiencing the awkward and time-consuming insertion/removal, they didn't sound as good as the nylon triple flange option.

When I'm on a recording session, I usually monitor with Etys, but I have to be able to remove them quickly if someone wants to talk, so the compressible foam is not usable for me due to that, even if it sounds better in the bass (which it does).

I'm interested in trying some of the options mentioned here - it hadn't occurred to me to look for alternatives like these; I would have thought the shape of the earpiece would allow only the devices supplied by the manufacturer to fit.

I did have custom moulds made for my ER-4S, they are the most comfortable to wear but the isolation is no better than the triple flanges hence I don’t use them. After spending £88 on them I prefer the comply foam, which cost a fraction the price.