The difference an amp can make... Mccormack DNA-1

usp1

The difference an amp can make... Mccormack DNA-1
« on: 17 May 2012, 02:59 pm »
I was fortunate enough to find a Mccormack DNA-1 Deluxe at a very reasonable price. Yesterday I switched out my emotiva mps-1 and replaced it with the DNA-1 and what a difference. Until now I was imagining soundstage depth...now I know what it means to have depth. In every respect the amp does a better job driving the maggies  then my old amp. There is more high-end detail, more shimmer, and more bass. I am just thrilled with this new purchase and just want to share.

ptmconsulting

Re: The difference an amp can make... Mccormack DNA-1
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2012, 03:30 pm »
Welcome to the club. McCormack fans tend to be pretty happy. They do drive the Maggies very nicely too. May not have the bloom of an Audio Research tube amp, or something similar, but they sure control those panels.

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2012, 12:36 pm »
And it doesnt necessarily have to stop there.
As you may know, Steve can take your DNA up a notch or two with upgrades.
http://www.smcaudio.com/

Happy with my DNA 225

usp1

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2012, 12:52 pm »
This amp has been a revelation. Perhaps it is the synergy between my Maggie 1.6qr and the amp or the amp is just very good, but there is a  new liveliness to the music. The most interesting thing I noticed yesterday is the fade between songs on many the CDs I played...there is so much more music I can hear as the songs trail away. Some of this is also attributable to the new EE Dac I just added but switching between amps just makes things so much clearer.

I had read about  the upgrade services that Steve Mccormack provides but they are pricey compared to the price I paid for the amp. I am enjoying the improvement this amp has provided and will wait for while before upgrading...let my wallet recover...:) ...

bummrush

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2012, 01:11 pm »
Naw it's just that the amp IS that good.

fredgarvin

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2012, 04:09 pm »
I think there are a lot of folks under driving their Maggies. Current, current current. The DNA is a nice amp. When I had planars I used a big Coda amp, it was so much better than the Marantz and Onix I had used before.

bummrush

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2012, 04:29 pm »
I have a Coda pre amp,I would love to find a Coda amp some day.

usp1

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2012, 04:35 pm »