Bryston 2BLP pro, back in the fold

rob80b

Bryston 2BLP pro, back in the fold
« on: 16 May 2012, 05:09 pm »
Well the discussions have been focusing on the bigger siblings and here I’m waiting in anticipation of the arrival from Bryston’s service of their smallest and longest running (cosmetically anyway) stereo amp the 2BLP pro which I’ve recently acquired (again).

A few years a ago I did pick up another 2BLP pro to curb my nostalgic urge but it was a much older one with the EI transformers and I got to compare it to my B60, in theory they should have been very similar but the 25 year old 2BLP just didn’t fair very well (progress doesn’t stand still) so off it went to another home.
Well the one I’m waiting on was an impulse buy, the serial number appeared to be more current and has the detachable power cord (and should match the B60 performance wise)

so I picked it up sight unseen even though the unit was said to have a malfunctioning right channel, but hey it’s a Bryston, so the worst case scenario would be to call Mike so that it could be off to service.
Ok, I’ve a 4BSST, BP25P, BCD1 and a B60R so what makes the 2BLP so special, well the fact that I bit my teeth in the mid 80s with a new 2BLP pro and then traded it in toward a new 3BNRB, which morphed into a 3BST and then the 4BSST, the little 2BLP still holds a nostalgic place.
Not only that but I don’t know how many times I wish I still had my original, because of the independent front mounted level controls it’s great for setting up a monitoring system for recording or playback, powering remote speakers or just setting up a small stereo system, it’s small, compact, rugged and it’s a Bryston.
Once she’s back I’ll give a serious listen and then it’ll replace the B60, which now power my surrounds and my son (future pop star) gets his first Bryston integrated.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
« Last Edit: 16 May 2012, 10:58 pm by rob80b »

rob80b

Re: Bryston 2BLP pro, back in the fold
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2012, 08:36 pm »
Speak of the devil, Fedex just showed up with the little guy just after I posted my last post.

I would like to thank Mike Pickett and Bryston’s service/shipping department for the fast and efficient turn around. Now I don’t know if this is a good or a bad thing but in the last two weeks I finally got around to sending up my BP60 (noisy volume pot), BCD-1 (display going) and then the 2BLP (faulty right channel) which looks like it needed a transformer, transistors and resisters replaced (not too sure what previous owner was up to) but the unit is now up to spec, including my request for feet for the 2B, all units came back sounding and working like new.

Just to point out another plus for the 2BLP pro is that it has a commendable (high output) headphone socket and after hooking it up to the BP25P and BCD-1 a short listen with hard to drive phones like the AKG 240s, 501s and 701s showed all is well, latter on tonight I’ll try powering my Dyns on it.

Once more I’d liked to thank the Bryston team which have again and again given us assurance in purchasing their equipment new or used without reservation. :thumb:

Robert Burns
Toronto, Ontatio
« Last Edit: 16 May 2012, 09:50 pm by rob80b »

sfraser

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2012, 01:30 am »
I have a couple of those bad boys....in my home theatre ,they are fantastic , enjoy!

rob80b

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2012, 02:49 am »
Still didn't get a chance to run some speakers, instead got carried away the last few hours maxing out my AKG 701s. :D, the BP25 and B60 headphone outs while more than adequate for most headphones fall just a little short with these cans but the 2B has way more output than required for safe listening so watch that dial.

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2012, 02:06 pm »
So how does this little 12 year old 60 watt 2BLP pro hold up these days running a pair of Dynaudio Special 25s with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms and a sensitivity of 88dB/2.83V/m, using the BCD-1 as a source and the BP25 as the pre with balanced Canare L-4E6S Star Quad balanced audio interconnects throughout, well there is more than enough power to get the Dyns cooking. I was surprised with the control it had over the 25s bass drivers the bottom end being very well defined, tight and deep. The upper midrange and treble was clear and overall imaging, width and stage depth was spot on, this is an amp that likes to boogie and I was able to reach high enough volume levels without feeling it ran out of steam in a 10’ x 15’ room, adding a 15” Velodyne helped out even more making the overall presentation bigger than the whole of its parts.
But as fun as the 2BLP is, reinserting the 4BSST showed up the 2BLPs lack of sophistication, the overall sound becoming less immediate (nervous), more laid back, tiny nuances with regard to harmonics made instruments and vocals more natural and real, also increasing the volume above what I considered comfortable with the 2BLP was not an issue with the 4B, one could keep advancing the volume way past reference with room to spare without flinching.

In direct comparison to my B60 (SST with the more recent output transistors) the 2BLP pro/ BP25 combo with balanced connections had a lot more volume, the pots on the 2BLP were only half way at 12 o’clock and the BP25 between 9-10 o’clock to reach more than adequate loud listening levels, the B60 ran out of steam around 2 o’clock when powering the Dyn25s but overall the B60 presentation sat somewhere between the 2BLP and the 4BSST, the 2BLP being slightly more if I could say  “solid state” in nature.

Just a point, the B60 and 2BLP both started with the same output devices, one Motorola 6521& 6522 per channel I believe, some later B60s just prior to the SST configuration in 2001 could have their output transistors upgraded (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90680.0 ) to the more current ones, not to sure if this can be done with later model 2BLPs but it might be worth looking into, nor do I know if the newer 2BLPs might have in-fact followed suite.

Overall though the 2BLP pro remains a versatile little amp and might be regarded by some as an entry-level amp, but it’s not as an entry level amp, depending on ones needs it's just a smaller Bryston, with its build and construction on par with its larger brethren it holds its own.

Music 
Feist “The Reminder”
John Surman/ Jack DeJohnette “Live in Tampere and Berlin”
Fluke “Six Wheels on My Wagon”
Mickey Hart “Planet Drum”

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
« Last Edit: 18 May 2012, 03:52 pm by rob80b »

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2012, 08:07 pm »
So what do you do with a few extra amps, well the 2BLP pro now replaces the B60 behind the sofa to run the surrounds and double up for headphone listening, (just a note, unlike the older 2BLP pro, one had to pull the plug or leave it on 24/7) the more current models incorporate a 3 way toggle switch: local/ off(yes :thumb:)/ remote.

and the B60 now sits on the piano in the kitchen to monitor recordings and music playback.

rob80b

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2012, 10:33 pm »
Just another follow up on the 2BLP pro/BP25P combo compared to the B60 and then the B60amp/BP25P combo.
In comparison the B60 used as an integrate as I mentioned when powering the Dynaudio 25s needs to be dialed to about 2-3 o’clock to match parity with the 2BLP/BP25 or 4BSST/BP25 when the BP25 is at 10 o’clock, at which point the B60 runs out of steam.

Now, curiously though when running just the amp section of the B60 from the BP25 it matches the 2BLP (as it should) and the 4BSST, therefore the B60 amp, 2BLP and 4BSST obtain the same loudness (unity gain) on the dial at 10 o’clock when used with the BP25.

The B60’s preamp section when used to run the 4BSST or 2PLP is the same as using the B60 on its own; the volume is at 2-3 o’clock.
The reason I thought I would post this is for those considering on using the B60 as a pre-amp if moving up to a larger amp, now I do not know if this applies to all B60s or just my unit but I can see problems in not achieving enough gain with inefficient speakers or some sources.(maybe James or Mike can answer that one.)

The amp section of the B60 when powered with the BP25 sounds excellent by the way with more than enough gain and in-fact plenty to spare.

(One reason I’m trying all these combinations is that I’m waiting on an AVP and just wanted to make sure that levels match when used with same source /pre for the 2BLP (surrounds), B60(amp section for possible center and rear) and 4BSST(mains), they do.)

« Last Edit: 29 May 2012, 12:37 am by rob80b »