First Turntable

mca

First Turntable
« on: 23 May 2004, 11:37 pm »
I'm looking to get into vinyl for the first time. I have a ton of old albums that my parents and my older sisters gave to me, so I thought I would do some looking for a table. I came across a new Pro-Ject RM-4 at my local dealer. It is a full unit with cartridge and all (although I don't know what type) that has been marked down from 600.00 to 450.00.
It is definatly a cool looking table, but I know nothing about this brand. I have heard lots of good things about Music Hall and Rega's lower cost tables.
Anyone have any experience with this table, good, bad or otherwise?

doug s.

• makin' music
First Turntable
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2004, 11:59 pm »
that's certainly an ok 'table, but you would do far better with something used in that price-range, imo...

here's an example:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1090459907

and, here's a sumiko better than the one you saw, for less:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1090459907

even better can be had for a few dollars more; just need to be patient....

doug s.

Tonto Yoder

First Turntable
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2004, 02:36 am »
There CAN be a benefit to getting a table locally from a dealer. You can physically see the TT and hopefully the dealer has some expertise if you need it (now or in the future). You DO pay more (kinda like buying a new car vs. used), but it could be worth it???

BTW, the Pro-ject tables are made in the same Czech factory as the Music Halls.

Carlman

First Turntable
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2004, 02:37 am »
I bought that table with an Ortofon OM-20 cartridge on it and am very pleased.  I'm trying a couple of different cartridges on it to see what I like best... and a couple of different of phono preamp's.  However, I know I like the Hagerman Bugle the best for that.

Anyway, I bought mine at theneedledoctor.com and was quite pleased with them.  I think I paid a little under $500 shipped, brand new, with the new cartridge on it.

It comes with everything you need and works right out of the box.  

My only concern is that there is more platter noise than I expected.  When I turn the platter, there's a hiss noise that just doesn't seem right to me.    However, that sound doesn't seem to make it to the amp for some reason.  My last table was totally silent to spin it manually (a direct drive Sony) but was very noisy in reproduction.

In any case, I really really like the RM-4.  I didn't want to buy a used table from someone I didn't know.  I wanted a warranty, someone to call with issues since I'm new to vinyl, etc... But, I'm sure you can get better for the money used.  Make sure you get a manual, though.

If you were anywhere near me, I'd say stop and take a listen!

-C

mca

First Turntable
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2004, 02:57 am »
That's one of the things that I liked about it. It's new, local and the salesperson really know's her stuff. Maybe I can even get her over to help me set it up  :D

Tonto Yoder

First Turntable
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2004, 03:19 am »
Quote from: Carlman

My only concern is that there is more platter noise than I expected. When I turn the platter, there's a hiss noise that just doesn't seem right to me. However, that sound doesn't seem to make it to the amp for some reason. My last table was totally silent to spin it manually (a direct drive Sony) but was very noisy in reproduction.

Could you need oil in the spindle/ platter   thingamabob???
My Spacedeck came with a vial of oil to be placed in the reservoir first, then the platter is lowered into that reservoir.  If there weren't enough oil, there might be some friction.  Not sure if the Project works in similar fashion or not???

bubba966

First Turntable
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2004, 07:25 am »
Quote from: mca
That's one of the things that I liked about it. It's new, local and the salesperson really know's her stuff. Maybe I can even get her over to help me set it up  :D

Is this table at Magnolia? I thought I'd seen a table there priced as you described when I was in last week. But I've no real interest in vinyl (nor does anyone really ever ask me about vinyl) so I didn't remember the details so well.

mca

First Turntable
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2004, 03:37 pm »
Yup, that's where it is. Have you dealt with Marie before? She really knows her stuff. Kind of rare for those guys now a days...

bubba966

First Turntable
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2004, 02:15 am »
I deal with Steve Parker at the Roosevelt store.

Marie does sound familiar though. I'm guessing she's at the Bellevue store though as I don't know why you'd go to the Roosevelt store when Bellevue is damn close to where you work. Altough I'd swear there's a Marie at Roosevelt... :scratch:

If you're planning on getting this table from Magnolia, I could ask what price it can really be sold for. Might be able to save you a few bucks. :mrgreen:

mca

First Turntable
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2004, 01:12 am »
I ended up getting the Pro-Ject RM-4 from my local dealer. How could I refuse? I ended up getting it complete for 290.00  :D
Came home, set it up and plopped on the first record I pulled out, Nilsson Schmilsson. It sounded pretty good, clicks, pops and all.
Now I just need to figure out how to set it up properly and read up on how to clean my crusty old albums  :lol:

Tonto Yoder

First Turntable
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2004, 01:25 am »
I ended up getting the Pro-Ject RM-4 from my local dealer. How could I refuse? I ended up getting it complete for 290.00  :D
Came home, set it up and plopped on the first record I pulled out, Nilsson Schmilsson. It sounded pretty good, clicks, pops and all.
Now I just need to figure out how to set it up properly and read up on how to clean my crusty old albums  :lol:

Congratulations!  Welcome to the dark side.  You might try adjusting the VTA to see how it affects clicks and pops--
http://www.walkeraudio.com/fine_tuning_your_turntable.htm
Lowering the tonearm pillar CAN minimize surface noise (but not work miracles if the LP's are actually trashed) but there's a point where the sound gets muddy and you lose the upper registers.

bubba966

First Turntable
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2004, 04:23 am »
I ended up getting it complete for 290.00  :D

:o

Well, that's a bit better than the $350 I was quoted as a "for a friend" price.

Didja get the floor model, or the open box one?

mca

First Turntable
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2004, 03:22 pm »
I got the open box one. Looks like it was not even used as most of the bags were still sealed.

Pancho Urbano

Pro-Ject
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2004, 03:37 pm »
Congrats - have fun fine-tuning your system.  I have a Sumiko Pro-Ject 1.2, the basic model, and I love it.  

-pu

mcrespo71

First Turntable
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2004, 04:07 pm »
Welcome to the world of vinyl.  Now hit the used record shops pronto!!!! :D

Michael

mca

First Turntable
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2004, 04:47 am »
Well, I got the TT dialed in and it is sounding very nice. Can't believe the smooth relaxing sound that it is putting out. I can only imagine the sound you guys are getting from the big rigs. Having lot's of fun finding old albums also, garage sales, thrift stores, antique stores, there everywhere!
Only thing that is bothering me is the felt mat, it seems to create static and comes off every time I pull of an album. Any suggestions for a good replacement?

mca

First Turntable
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jun 2004, 04:54 am »
Oops, I asked to soon and just found a post a couple of pages back on my very same question  :oops:

mmakshak

My suggestion
« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2005, 07:10 pm »
Might I suggest a mapleboard and rubber, cork, rubber footers from Mapleshade as a turntable platform?  It made a huge difference in my Ariston rd 110 tt.  Technically, I was supposed to add their brass to the top of the maple, which I was going to do(to use as seperation so I could get at the springs and motor adjustments without having to lift the table(the ones that sit on top of the equipment would have worked the best).  Instead, or first, I bought a fully equipted Linn with Lingo.  Anyhow, use only 3 of the footers.  Also, you might want to buy a board big enough to go about an inch(or whatever their recommendations are) bigger than your amp or preamp, in case you don't like it(which might mean that you are deaf).  I don't see any advantages(other than cosmetic) to lacquering.  The cost is a maybe $125(approximately).  By the way, on my Ariston, the screws to raise the armboard(the ones on the springs) and the motor to raise it went the same direction(my armboard is lower than the top-plate.).  Put the footers in by ear(meaning some people put two in front, one in back; or put them between the springs?  Either way, or other ways, fine tune by ear.  I forgot to mention that putting them in by a level is properly the way to go{still, fine tune by ear}.