Anyone have a portable desktop (LAN party, etc.)

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Anyone have a portable desktop (LAN party, etc.)
« on: 11 May 2012, 07:21 pm »
Does anyone have a PC they carry to other locations (some kind of smaller PC with a convenince factor?)

I am playing Civilization 5 on a larger mid tower machine with a Radeon 6970 card and an SSD, etc . I would like to play Civilization on a more portable system in this case or something like it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154094

I have in this case now an old ASUS board with an AMD processor and XP  from several years ago with an OCZ 500W PS - I would like to put in a Micro ATX board and possibly a new Ivy Bridge processor.

The purpose is to take the PC on an airplane and across town. Laptops that are sufficient for my purposes would be multi-thousand dollar beasts.

First I am not even sure I could carry on that case, but at least I could put it inside a suitcase...

Also trying to determine what video card wold be optimum for Civ 5 for this purpose.

Any thoughts?

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Anyone have a portable desktop (LAN party, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2012, 01:06 am »
The purpose is to take the PC on an airplane and across town. Laptops that are sufficient for my purposes would be multi-thousand dollar beasts.

First I am not even sure I could carry on that case, but at least I could put it inside a suitcase...

Also trying to determine what video card wold be optimum for Civ 5 for this purpose.

Any thoughts?

Do you think? you can find a nice gaming laptop for under 1k.
Anyways, i have little experience with portable computer cases, as i take the notebook with me. But i can ask a couple of friends which models they use.

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2012, 01:18 am »
My laptop was $750 a few months ago and can play most games really well albeit the resolution is only maxed around 720p (I've seen deals on laptops that had better resolution but the battery life didn't meet my needs at the time).

Besides the fact that carrying a computer regularly is just asking for it to be damaged, I think you're best off with a laptop solution. Don't think civ five is that hard to run....my friend plays it and his computer isn't all that high end.

xr2

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2012, 01:53 am »
Quite a few years ago now, I built out such a machine starting with shuttle's little toaster form factor.  I managed to run a 2.6 gHz P4 and an Nvidia 7800 with a 350 watt PSU.  Mine even came with a perfectly sized carrying case with shoulder strap.

I just took a quick look and it seems like they have models with 500 watt PSUs now. 

I haven't done extensive research about what's current, but here's an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101126