Power Conditioners & Purifiers

redferrari

Power Conditioners & Purifiers
« on: 11 May 2012, 06:16 am »
Could someone advise me if those power conditioners and purifiers that are sold in North America, say Shunyata Hydras or RGPC 400/600/1200 units, be able to run in other countries where the mains are 220V to 240V (50Hz).

I understand such units purchased in the US works nicely on 110V(60Hz), but would the same unit purchased in the US also work else where?

I get conflicting advises. Some says No but some says it works cause its a passive unit.

Anyone able to advise me on this issue? Thanks in advance.

rw@cn

Re: Power Conditioners & Purifiers
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2012, 04:19 pm »
I don't know but I suggest contacting the companies.

redferrari

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2012, 02:45 pm »
I did but its kinda funny because, for example Monster Power, told me theirs cant. But I know of someone who used a Monster Power equipment purchased in the US, in UK.

Anyone out there, audiophiles or technicians/engineers, able to share with me your thoughts? Or caveats?

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2012, 02:50 pm »
The likely issue is that you will exceed voltage ratings on internal components. It might "work," but (short of opening it up and checking it carefully) is it worth the risk?

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2012, 02:50 pm »
You must contact the product manufacturer. Only they will know if the parts inside (switches, capacitors, IEC, etc...) are rated for use at higher voltages.
Chris H.

Waker

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2012, 05:47 pm »
RGPC 400/600/1200 units, be able to run in other countries where the mains are 220V to 240V (50Hz).

These Richard Gray parallel power models are available in either 120V/60cycle or 240V/50 cycle applications.  You would want to use the appropriate version in higher voltage grids because they put out higher wattage levels that are needed in the components they will be serving, which are also higher voltage, so they should match.  The 120V versions may act as an output bottleneck, it would seem. 

redferrari

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2012, 02:06 pm »
These Richard Gray parallel power models are available in either 120V/60cycle or 240V/50 cycle applications.  You would want to use the appropriate version in higher voltage grids because they put out higher wattage levels that are needed in the components they will be serving, which are also higher voltage, so they should match.  The 120V versions may act as an output bottleneck, it would seem.

Does this means the occurrence of the 'bottleneck' shall cause shortage of current to meet the current draw down of the equipment's required current? If so, would this mean the equipment will not function? And will this damage the equipment?

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2012, 11:01 am »
Does this means the occurrence of the 'bottleneck' shall cause shortage of current to meet the current draw down of the equipment's required current? If so, would this mean the equipment will not function? And will this damage the equipment?

Please read the posts by me and BPT above. If a component's voltage rating is exceeded, there is a good chance that it will be damaged; failure of other components may also occur as a result.