Are there differences in driving ht3's and SS10's

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
Are there differences in driving ht3's and SS10's
« on: 11 May 2012, 05:32 am »
Jim

Looking at the specifications for the ht3 and ss10 -  are there any differences in driving them?  They both have 84 db Sensitivity and are 4 ohm.

Obviously the ss10s have different mid range and ribbon drivers and passive radiators. But does the load from each have similar demands from the amplifier?

Trying to gauge my current amp/HT3 synergy for the ss10 upgrade and thought others might want to hear your insights.

Thanks

Tom

ricardojoa

Re: Are there differences in driving ht3's and SS10's
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2012, 09:41 am »
Interesting that the SS10 minimum watts recommended are 200 while the Ht3 are100 watts.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2012, 10:17 am »
Interesting that the SS10 minimum watts recommended are 200 while the Ht3 are100 watts.

I would not put a lot of stock in an older model power recommendation of 100 watts.  The HT3's require significantly more to really get all you can out of the speaker.

Sure, you can just about drive anything with 100 watts but not to it's full potential.

I still say the HT3 is harder to drive than the SS10.  (a general comment) I kinda wish folks would stop messing around with low powered amps when they have invested so much money into good speakers.  Go 250 wpc or better for either and you are in good shape, 500 wpc and you are rock solid.  Don't wimp out on the watts with these speakers.  They are not SongTowers that can sing on 25 watts.

The SS8 and HT2 are more like the ST in requiring less power because they are in the 87/88 db area.  200 wpc or better is fine for these models. 

The top end of the SS10 seems like it reaches it limits uniformly and the bass is the item you need to support because they can really dig deep and need control.  A good solid amp that can do both is desirable. 

Tom, you will not have troubles with your existing amps with SS10's.

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2012, 02:02 pm »
I completely agree with BRM on this one.  The HT3's and SS10's/12's are absolutely astounding speakers for the money, but if you under-power them it's like driving a Ferrari on nothing but icy lakes; what's the point?  If it was me I wouldn't settle for less than 300 watts into 8 ohms if I owned or was looking to buy the HT3's or SoundScape 10's/12's.  Feed them the power they deserve and they'll sing to their full potential.

If you're actually in the market and are pondering the HT3's or SS10's, I urge you to look at the SS8's.  They are much easier to drive and will knock your socks off with amazing sound quality.  Definitely check 'em out. ;)

revrob

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2012, 08:18 pm »
My HT3's took a 150 watt amp and threw it out my front window. javascript:void(0); I have used the Wyred SX1000 monos (570 watts) and the HT3's said "is that all you got?" I am now using some Monarchy SE-250 (250 watts) and I have learned that these speakers can take all the power you can throw at them.

Hope that helps.

Peace