Boze Headphones

guest1632

Boze Headphones
« on: 10 May 2012, 11:32 am »
Hi all,

About a couple of months or so ago, I went down to Best Buy to see what over the ear cans they had. They had a pair of Boze phones that were very light, and comfortable. I didn't listen to long, because I didn't have a lot of time. They were about $150 or so. They did seem to have a balanced sound from top to bottom. How they fared after that, not sure.At that time, I was suffering from a major ear infection, so it was really hard to make a judgment as to how well these really sounded. Now I also got a chance to hear the new BNW phones for $400. not impressed, and not very comfortable.

Anyhow, just thought I'd ask about the Boze phones. Are they that overpriced? Could I do something better for the same amout of moola or less. I am still dealing with major ear problems. So having speakers is not the way for me anymoore. So my last resort is phones.

Currently, because I am at a computer all day, and since being blind, I use a Screen access program with a Built in Voice Synthesizer, i'm using a pair of Sony MDR5. $35 on sale from Newegg. I know, they aren't hifi. But I was kinda interested in the Boze because these puppies were light, and very comfortable. Ok, I'm open to suggestions. i'd use them both for the computer as well as for hifi listening.

I've also been tossing around the idea of getting one of AVA's preamps. I am told his headphone amp inside is pretty good. So any suggestions there?

Ray Bronk

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Boze Headphones
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 11:51 am »
If your unhappy with the Bose sound there are a whole bunch of other stuff that sound better for $150. If you check out head-fi.org and look around there for suggestions you'll get a bunch of ideas. If its a really difficult to do that the way your setup we can suggest some. Comfort like your finding in the Bose is abundant also.

Answer some questions and we can start trying to head you in the right direction??
Budget?
Music-your favorite kind or what you like to hear most?
Bass- do you like some? alot? as little as possible?

Let us know what is painful to hear with your ear issue at the moment so we can try and steer you away from a problem there maybe....
 Go for it :thumb:

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 02:11 pm »
Ray,
I own a pair of Bose that I bought about 3 years ago.  They are comfortable and sound good, but after about 1 year the "coating" on them starts to crack and flake off.  They get sticky and uncomfortable after a while.  Also, if you drop them they break easily (happened to a co-worker in the office).  They also have very thin, cheap feeling wires.
  I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser hd428 headphones that were about $75.  They are comfortable.  I only use them at the office listening to my iPod.  I think that they are good for mp3s because they are kind of muffled (a good thing as mp3s sound brite and tinny).  I heard them on my AVA T8+ preamp and they were too muffled for good quality audio.  So, it depends on what you will use them for.

saisunil

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 04:41 pm »
Ray

I find that a little bass boost on headphones are a very desirable thing ...

Shure 840 and Shure 940s are good for closed type phones - I have the 940s - they are good, better than ATM50s and they were good too ... they should be right in your budget - they are well constructed and comfortable. They are easy to drive and great to listen with or without a headphone amp. I am guessing that they would sound better than the Boze or B and W.

One of the headphone right on top of the food chain are the Audeze LCD2 - you can get better sound but not so much better - they sell for $1000 but can be had for $750 more or less in the used market ... I just wanted to throw this in as LCD2s are the sweet spot of the high end phones ...

Other than that the choice are too many to mention and would depend on your preference of on-ear or over the ear, in-ear headphone type along with closed verses open ... open will sound better but the sound leaks ...

Where are you located?

It is ideal to try some phones before you buy and for that matter if you are planning to buy new and pay full price I'd strongly suggest that you call the Cable Company or visit headphone.com

The cable company allows you to borrow multiple phone and try them at home for a week and keep only what you like and return the rest ...

Regardless you may want to give them a call and ask for seconds etc. if you want to stretch you dollar ...

Some folks do no subscribe to the idea of break-in but most headphones require minimum 50 hours of playing to open up and some difficult phones like AKG701s need 300 to 500 hours before they transform from an ok to great headphone (for the price) ...

Good Luck

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2012, 05:08 pm »
Bose makes a pretty decent noise cancelling headphone, but as others have indicated, don't take abuse very well and unless the noise cancellation is a feature you are seeking can be beat for the price.  One of the key questions you will also want to settle is "closed vs. open".  Open headphones tend to have a better (wider, deeper) soundstage, while closed often reduce outside noise better.   There are as many opinions about what sounds good as there are in loudspeakers...so settle some of the issues like open, closed and what you want to spend, then look for the sonic signature you prefer.
Hibuck...

guest1632

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2012, 01:03 am »
Bose makes a pretty decent noise cancelling headphone, but as others have indicated, don't take abuse very well and unless the noise cancellation is a feature you are seeking can be beat for the price.  One of the key questions you will also want to settle is "closed vs. open".  Open headphones tend to have a better (wider, deeper) soundstage, while closed often reduce outside noise better.   There are as many opinions about what sounds good as there are in loudspeakers...so settle some of the issues like open, closed and what you want to spend, then look for the sonic signature you prefer.
Hibuck...

Hi, Well, ... first like speakers, i would at least want a good flat response from 20--20 HZ. A little bass boost I guess  would be ok, especially if it
is below the usual 70 HZ.

When I had my ears tested about a month or so ago, the person testing me threw a 9K sound at me, and I'll tell you what, it actually hurt. That was a surprise,
because in my left ear, above 4 K or so, it about 60 to 70 DB down. I can thank my older brother for that one when I was about ten. An air rifle does wonders
to ears. My right ear is where the major damage of the infection is. It is in the left ear too, but not as bad as the right ear. I'm looking in to a behind
the ear transplant which will bypass the ear canal entirely, and just go to the inner ear. This would be for both ears. Now, how that will affect my regular
hearing through the canal, I don't have a clue.

As to the closed or open phones, I don't have a prefference. I go back to the old Koss days. Those phones are still around, and they if memmory serves me
right do! produce lots of bass without the boost. I was just siting them as an example.

I live here in cowboy town, Tucson AZ.

Somewheres a long time ago, I did listen to a pair of Beir phones. (yeah, I mispelled it.) and they were supposedly ruler flat. The bass did not stand out
at all, kinda like the old Micro Accoustic phono cartridge. I wasn't sure if I liked them or not.

So, the uses for the phones would be, either to listen to stuff from my computer, or to listen to stuff from the headphone amplifier with a good preamp
attached. Open or closed I'm up for suggestions. It is to bad about the Boze phones, because they were amongst the most comfortable that I think I could
wear all day if need be.

As far as noise cancelling goes, nope don't want them. When I was at Best Buy, it's a pretty noisy place. I put on the Boze noise cancelling phones, turn
on the cancelling circuit, and I'll tell you what, not a peak of sound got through those puppies. That was almost erie sounding. If you want to know what
being deaf is like, I think that's a good glimpse.

As for on or over the ear, I think over is prefferred. The on ones tend to be kinda smallish, and don't seem that comfortable when attempting to positioning
them on your ears.

As for budget, I honestly don't know how much I'd want to spend. Now I did and still own some old Stax phones. They at the time were about $200. the slightly
newer drivers were better, but the highend I think would be as good as any speaker out there. the mids and lows were there strong point. i still have two
of the transformer boxes, with blown transformers. It would cost to much to fix them now, like $40 and up for eaqch transformer. So they just sit in the
box.

So that's it for this post. Thanks for all. I've been lurking here for awhile, and gathering lots of info. here and there. So keep the info coming.

Ray Bronk

saisunil

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2012, 02:17 am »
Shure 940s are over the ears and I could send them to you for a trial risk free ... So that you can establish some baseline ...

guest1632

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2012, 03:48 am »
Shure 940s are over the ears and I could send them to you for a trial risk free ... So that you can establish some baseline ...

Hmmm, let me think about that. How much are these phones, or if you're selling them, how much do you want?

Maybe, tlet's take this to a PM, unless the moderator doesn't mind.

Ray Bronk

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2012, 12:32 am »

The 940's have a nice reputation, if saisunil is offering a free trial this is your chance.

guest1632

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2012, 03:53 am »

Hi, I went looking around the net, and I see Shure Sh940, but no 940S. is this the same model number or what?

Ray Bronk.

saisunil

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2012, 12:54 pm »
My bad they are 940 but I was writing plural