Dry Cleaning Brush

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Dry Cleaning Brush
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2012, 05:51 am »
I use a double row carbon fiber brush from Sleeve City.  It's ok for surface stuff and static removal, but isn't stiff enough to get down into the grooves. http://www.sleevetown.com/record-brushes.shtml
It's one of the cheaper ones at about $12.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2012, 01:07 pm »
I use a double row carbon fiber brush from Sleeve City.  It's ok for surface stuff and static removal, but isn't stiff enough to get down into the grooves. http://www.sleevetown.com/record-brushes.shtml
It's one of the cheaper ones at about $12.
Do you use their inner sleeves too? 

roscoeiii

« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2012, 01:27 pm »
Their inner sleeves are fabulou especially their Ultimate inners. I also love their sleeves that hold 2 LPs, that gets 50 LPs stored in quality sleeves for $13. Just got some LPs tha were in their nicest outer sleeve too. Very very nice outer.

If only their shipping were cheaper.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2012, 01:34 pm »
Their inner sleeves are fabulou especially their Ultimate inners. I also love their sleeves that hold 2 LPs, that gets 50 LPs stored in quality sleeves for $13. Just got some LPs tha were in their nicest outer sleeve too. Very very nice outer.

If only their shipping were cheaper.
Thanks Roscoe!

I had a shipping quote for $14 for 500 inners.  That didn't seem too bad to me. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2012, 01:39 pm »
I've been happy with them.  At 50 for $10 they are cheap enough.  Their top sleeves are comparable to Mobil Fidelity, but are just as pricey.  Shipping is high, but I usually buy several hundred at a time to keep it reasonable. 

Scott

vinyl_lady

« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2012, 02:56 pm »
Do you use their inner sleeves too?

After years of buying MoFi sleeves from Music Direct, I tried Sleeve City's ultimate audiophile inner sleeve and will use those from now on. They are terrific!

roscoeiii

« Reply #26 on: 13 May 2012, 03:10 pm »
Thanks Roscoe!

I really should just buy in higher quantities, huh? I got a $9 shipping charge for just 50 outers.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #27 on: 13 May 2012, 03:47 pm »
I use a Watts Parastat I bought around 1977, it works great. The special fluid is long gone but a spray bottle with a distilled water/isopropyl alcohol mix works just as well. I can't imagine a record brush better than a Watts, different yes, but not better.

From Vinyl Engine:
"It has a central hand made brush supported by two velvet covered rubber pads.

"The brush is closely packed with over 30,000, 0.006" diameter pure nylon bristles finely pointed to an average tip radius of 0.00025" and firm enough to probe down into the groove without harming the record in any way.

"The short pile plush of the pads has a similar filament radius and will collect all dirt, dust and pollution dislodged by the brush.

There happens to be one available on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-1960s-The-PARASTAT-Model-MKIIA-Record-Cleaner-Cecil-Watts-Manuals-A-/390415580946?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5ae694ff12

Wayne

Yes, I have to agree the Parastat is the most effective general brush solution.  I only mentioned it without a recommendation as they are so long out of production and the OP asked for dry brushes, however the quality of the units can be seen in the used one on eBay that you linked to, still looks nearly new after, what, 40-45 years.  I was lucky enough to get a NOS still in the packaging, the one on Ebay is nice enough that I would recommend Jason, or anyone reading this, pick it up post haste.

The idea behind Mr. Watts' product was to not just clean debris, but apply a layer of humidity to the record surface as an anti-static.  Not wet play, or even moisture, but humidity as in a few molecules of H2O.  Therefore my home brew mixture is purified water and a surfactant like Jet Dry rather than alcohol, but since the main ingredient is water I'm sure both of our solutions get the job done.

Not to get off topic, but in a quick reply to cheap-Jack, I agree.  That's why my RCM was purchased on eBay for $100 and I use Audio Intelligent cleaning solutions, the only reasonably priced, yet effective, products out there besides home brew.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 28 Jun 2012, 12:02 am »
Thanks Roscoe!

After a bit of a back order, here they are.   :o

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2012, 01:39 am »
This thread prompted me to buy a NOS Parastat (still in the wrappers) to use for a quick cleaning.
No offense inteded to the late Mr. Watts but I use a "real" record cleaning machine first.
I also have my old Discwasher brush (and original box!) which I use with distilled water.  I bought that as soon as they came out and they hold up well over the decades.
When I croak people are going to wonder where all of this old junk came from...

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #30 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:41 am »
Congrats on the Parastat.  Did you get the manual?  The Para is not really for deep cleaning like a RCM, but it's also for static control as well as casual dust removal.  PM me if you need more info.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2012, 09:38 am »
It came with the manual, bottle of fluid, the whole bit.
A fellow up in Canada had two on ebay, there might still be one available.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #32 on: 28 Jun 2012, 11:20 am »

staticmaster

CAUTION   Radiation from polonium is dangerous if the solid material
is ingested or inhaled. Do not touch strip under grid.  Keep away from
children.  See instructions.  Replace after:    Jun  90

Sitting in an open box of misc stuff since the '80s   I went to find something in the box one evening and noticed this glowing.   :idea:  The brush (looks like camel hair) slides back into the containment area.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #33 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:04 pm »
I have a couple of those my gf brought home from the lab.  They use them all the time on sensitive instruments.  I couldn't get it to pick up dust off the LP, but I imagine it would work better if I trimmed the bristles.  Never got round to trying that.  Yourself looks like the bristles are already shorter. 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #34 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:15 pm »
Somebody gave it to me like that, back in the day.  I use a carbon fiber brush for dusting.  The staticmaster seems more appropriate for dusting a camera lens than a record. I used to have a zerostat, but I rarely used it. The guesswork involved irked me. I used to discharge LPs with my hand and check it with the hair on my arm.  Better to raise the humidity in your room to eliminate the problem. With global warming the problem will prob just go away, replaced of course with much bigger problems.